Question regarding life on anti-coagulants

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatoriFround

I love to cook, and every once in awhile I cut my finger. Is this something to worry about while taking anti-coagulants? Or is it only bigger injuries that are an issue? This was the first thing I thought of when leaving the doctor and thinking I had made up my mind about getting a mechanical valve. We had a discussion about my nose bleeds, and how I would be fine to go mechanical even though I get them a few times a year. I believe they bleed more than the usual small cuts I get in the kitchen.

Thank you, just hoping you guys can ease my mind on this tiny issue. :)

I cut up a lot of vegetables every week and cuts do happen. It's really not a big deal, just takes a little longer to stop the bleeding than before warfarin.

Clean wound, apply pressure then bandage, just as you would if you were not on warfarin.

I will say that since being on warfarin I tend to be more careful and mindful as I cut. I probably would get a cut every 4 months prior to warfarin and now it is more like once per year.

Thank you, just hoping you guys can ease my mind on this tiny issue. :)
Excessive bleeding from small cuts is not a problem. Normally it will just take a few more seconds to stop the bleeding and simple first aid with a bandaid will stop any bleeding. Like Chuck C posted "we learn to be a little more careful" when handling sharp objects.

Morning

this has got to be the most discussed topic here (after bio or mech) and my experience is that most people have everything totally wrong.
I love to cook, and every once in awhile I cut my finger. Is this something to worry about while taking anti-coagulants? Or is it only bigger injuries that are an issue?

The idea that a shaving nick leads to this is patently absurd

1727987193343.png

as you'd expect for life threatening injuries (leg ripped off in a car accident) the miniscule difference provided between warfarin and no warfarin is nil. So if you have a gunshot wound to the groin you're in as much trouble as anyone.

This was the first thing I thought of when leaving the doctor and thinking I had made up my mind about getting a mechanical valve. We had a discussion about my nose bleeds, and how I would be fine to go mechanical even though I get them a few times a year. I believe they bleed more than the usual small cuts I get in the kitchen.

To be honest I can't see any difference between my bleeding response is about what it was before I was on warfarin. My dentist even remarks that when doing cleans "if I didn't know you were on warfarin I wouldn't know.

The key to this in my view is proper INR management. Proper means be actually successful of being inside the designated range ... you know 2 ~ 3.
This just does not happen (statistically speaking) for people in clinics (where 70% time in range is cause for celebration). Myself I'm in range greater than 90% so much that I call 93% a bad year and 97% a good year.

I recommend you read this blog post of mine from 2014
https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09/managing-my-inr.html

PS: I meant to add, that my Dad used to regularly nick his arm or back of his hand and it bled a lot. He was never on warfarin or any blood thinners. I know that working with him (with steel or aluminium, drills and grinders building truck bodies or working in boats) that he did bleed more from nicks and scratches at his age than I do now at that age (also working with steel and stuff)
https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2018/01/raising-roof.html

I commenced warfarin in late 2011, so lets call it 2012.

Best Wishes

Last edited:
Back