Question regarding life on anti-coagulants

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatoriFround

I love to cook, and every once in awhile I cut my finger. Is this something to worry about while taking anti-coagulants? Or is it only bigger injuries that are an issue? This was the first thing I thought of when leaving the doctor and thinking I had made up my mind about getting a mechanical valve. We had a discussion about my nose bleeds, and how I would be fine to go mechanical even though I get them a few times a year. I believe they bleed more than the usual small cuts I get in the kitchen.

Thank you, just hoping you guys can ease my mind on this tiny issue. :)

I cut up a lot of vegetables every week and cuts do happen. It's really not a big deal, just takes a little longer to stop the bleeding than before warfarin.

Clean wound, apply pressure then bandage, just as you would if you were not on warfarin.

I will say that since being on warfarin I tend to be more careful and mindful as I cut. I probably would get a cut every 4 months prior to warfarin and now it is more like once per year.

Thank you, just hoping you guys can ease my mind on this tiny issue. :)
Excessive bleeding from small cuts is not a problem. Normally it will just take a few more seconds to stop the bleeding and simple first aid with a bandaid will stop any bleeding. Like Chuck C posted "we learn to be a little more careful" when handling sharp objects.

Back