Day 4 post-op and feeling šŸ˜Ž

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pmacky09

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Had OHS on Wednesday at Paulā€™s in Vancouver to replace my bicuspid aortic valve which crossed the ā€œseverely stenoticā€ threshold in February!

I am in utter shock at how good I feel. Pain has never been more than 3 and mostly between 1-2. Only on regular Tylenol! Wowsers.

I had read that, of course, but was fully prepared for an 8 and delighted to convey that none of my worst fears came to pass.

Been getting my steps in. Slow! But moving which Iā€™m SO grateful for.

This community helped me prepared SO well and I will forever be grateful for all the selfless support I have found here. What a goldmine! šŸ˜»

My biggest complaint has been trying to sleep amid all the bells and whistles in the hospital. Not so bad. They said I will likely go home today. šŸ¤ž

Have an amazing day friends!

Really great news! šŸ‘šŸ»
Love those post-op pain numbers you quoted. Long may they continue. šŸ˜Š

Nice and easy as the days go forward. Things should improve steadily and your strength return.
Fantastic that home is on the horizon later.

Sending lots of good healing thoughts to you. ā˜€ļø

Last edited:
Had OHS on Wednesday at Paulā€™s in Vancouver to replace my bicuspid aortic valve which crossed the ā€œseverely stenoticā€ threshold in February!

I am in utter shock at how good I feel. Pain has never been more than 3 and mostly between 1-2. Only on regular Tylenol! Wowsers.

I had read that, of course, but was fully prepared for an 8 and delighted to convey that none of my worst fears came to pass.

Been getting my steps in. Slow! But moving which Iā€™m SO grateful for.

This community helped me prepared SO well and I will forever be grateful for all the selfless support I have found here. What a goldmine! šŸ˜»

My biggest complaint has been trying to sleep amid all the bells and whistles in the hospital. Not so bad. They said I will likely go home today. šŸ¤ž

Have an amazing day friends!
Hi Pmacky, this sounds amazing! Did you get the 'full zipper'?
My first week was tough. I did go down to the lobby to get coffee but I had no appetite and I could not swallow without pain. I lost 15lbs? The first week pain often got out of control. I had my first good meal on day 8 at an extraordinary rehab where I stayed for 3 weeks.
Please keep the updates coming!
John

Thanks @d333gs Full sternotomy but not as dramatic as I expected. Probably not entering any bikini contests but thatā€™s OK!

ā€™m actually retaining a bit of fluid so no weight loss šŸ˜” and my appetite gets better every day. Iā€™m alive and very well and could not be more pleased with how things have gone! šŸ˜

Nice and easy as the days go forward. Things should improve steadily and your strength return.

Thanks @Seaton My mind is officially blown itā€™s safe to say! Looking forward to sleeping in my own bed tonight. Hospital is not conducive to a good nightā€™s sleep! šŸ˜“

Welcome to the other side! :)

Glad to hear that your recovery is going so well, with very low pain.

My biggest complaint has been trying to sleep amid all the bells and whistles in the hospital
Hospitals can be pretty noisy and sleep in general is pretty rough after OHS. It will get better in time and being home in your own bed will really help.

Wishing that your recovery continues to be a good one. Please keep us posted on how things progress.

Great news, welcome to the other side :)

And also good to hear how great you're feeling, how manageable was your pain, and how pleased you were with the overall procedure. St Paul rocks. Josh just had his procedure there just a couple of weeks ago with similar experience.

Keep us posted of your continued progress as you get home.

Congrats! Donā€™t worry to much about the scar, it is amazing how they fade over time. The first year after mine was so noticeable but now three years out, you have to look hard to see it. It pales in comparison to the wrinkles lol! Welcome to the other side

Great news, welcome to the other side :)

And also good to hear how great you're feeling, how manageable was your pain, and how pleased you were with the overall procedure. St Paul rocks. Josh just had his procedure there just a couple of weeks ago with similar experience.

Keep us posted of your continued progress as you get home.
Thanks @tjay. Such amazing care at St. Paul's (though I have nothing to compare to :ROFLMAO:). The team certainly inspired confidence, which made me feel so at ease under difficult circumstances.

Congrats! Donā€™t worry to much about the scar, it is amazing how they fade over time. The first year after mine was so noticeable but now three years out, you have to look hard to see it. It pales in comparison to the wrinkles lol! Welcome to the other side
I think I will wear this scar as a badge of honour. I'm alive, and the experience has changed me in a way I wouldn't have signed up for but am wholeheartedly embracing. This is life. Right now, it's like this. šŸ’ž

Congrats! Love seeing stories like these! Keep pushing on!
Thanks @Dano64 Appreciate it! The pre-surgery anxiety was the toughest part of the journey. But the support I found here, coupled with meditation, breath work, yoga and lots of other supports really set me up for success. I was very aware of what was in my control and what I needed to let go of. :geek:

@Seaton, thank you for the healing thoughts! Day 2 at home and sleep continues to be a challenge, but I'm grabbing naps during the day for the first time in my life. Kinda feels luxurious to be honest. The sleep will sort itself I'm sure. The pounding of my heart when I lie down is a little freaky but normal. Will just take time to adjust to Millicent's (that's what I named the new aortic valve) presence in there!

Had my first outside walk today. 15 minutes! VERY slow. But the fresh air on my face was sweeter than ice cream. It felt great to be moving in the world again. Baby steps and I'm good with that. They warned me I don't want to "blow out" the new valve. Um. Nope I do not! :oops:

Back