Croatian New member-severe aortic stenosis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard for me. I am scary of open heart surgery and TAVR is revolution.
its scary for everyone ... and TAVR is only a revolution for the elderly and frail. There is an old saying: a coward dies a thousand deaths ... you won't die a thousand times, but you will regret the outcome I'm quite confident of that.

Arnold Swarzzeneger have 2 surgery's in 20 years.
you don't know the half of it and how much he ruined himself ... he took a Ross however so you should do some reading about that. Its discussed widely here

Look at the famous Arnold Schwarzenegger who had the Ross in 1997, with 2 following surgeries and the final at the Cleveland Clinic this past October.

https://hcatodayblog.com/2018/04/06/what-was-wrong-with-arnold-schwarzeneggers-heart/
It appears that you have time to really research the topic and decide which direction to go. Lots of info out there.

you can get anything if you pay for it ... that does not make it good for you.

Best Wishes

It is hard for me. I am scary of open heart surgery and TAVR is revolution. Arnold Swarzzeneger have 2 surgery's in 20 years. I don't mind that. Just want to avoid open heart surgery. I must decide. I will read more stuff. Thank all of you for info's. 💕
I just had OHS 12 days ago for a more complicated surgery (mitral mechanical valve replacement, triscuspid valve repair, a maze procedure, and a left atrial appendage ligation) even with some complications, I’m already back home with zero pain. The sternal scar is actually about half healed on the surface. I am age 56.

To give someone your age a tissue valve (regardless of whether as tavi or traditional ohs) means you will definitely need OHS down the road. I decided to bite the bullet and do it now while I am relatively young healthy and able recover. The mechanical valve will last me a lifetime. My surgeon said in my case a tissue valve would only probably last 3-4 years. While I’m recovering well, I sure don’t want a second ohs.

Per the US cardiology guidelines anyone under age 50 should get a mechanical valve. That is just the medical consensus.

The other thing to understand about TAVI is that is NOT safer than OHS in terms of dying in the operating room which seems to be what you fear. It is normally used for elderly patients who are too weak for OHS. I’m assuming the cash price for TAVI relates to how medical payments work in your country. It is important to say this is not a luxury upgrade. OHS today is a safe procedure that especially for someone of your age will give a very good outcome. TAVI is a wonderful technology for your grandma that can extend her years and quality of life. For us? Not so great. The younger you are, the faster tissue valves degrade.

Keep asking questions, only you can make this decision for yourself but you should make sure logic is driving your decision not fear. It is rough because this was such a shock to learn about but you will get your wits about you and be able to think very carefully.

Best wishes you will get through!

I understand. Young people often do not ever believe that they will grow old one day. Just consider that the TAVR may very well only last 5 to 10 years and not 10-15. They have very little data on younger patients with TAVR, but young patients go through them faster. Are they telling you to expect 10 to 15 years? If so, I question that guidance.
I totally get the concept of living day to day and wanting to avoid OHS in the short term. But, bear in mind, that you might end up being in your 50s and wishing that you had thought 20 to 40 years ahead, instead of 5 or 10. You're 46 and have a potential long life ahead of you

Regardless, the choice is 100% yours. I would just encourage you to give it a lot of thought before getting set on TAVR.
Yes. That's true. Mechanical valves last forever(🤫😂) but I must take anticolagation pills every day. I they have simptoms? I will search today and tomorrow forum little bit about that. First I must do TEE and we will se. Tnx on info's💕

I just had OHS 12 days ago for a more complicated surgery (mitral mechanical valve replacement, triscuspid valve repair, a maze procedure, and a left atrial appendage ligation) even with some complications, I’m already back home with zero pain. The sternal scar is actually about half healed on the surface. I am age 56.

To give someone your age a tissue valve (regardless of whether as tavi or traditional ohs) means you will definitely need OHS down the road. I decided to bite the bullet and do it now while I am relatively young healthy and able recover. The mechanical valve will last me a lifetime. My surgeon said in my case a tissue valve would only probably last 3-4 years. While I’m recovering well, I sure don’t want a second ohs.

Per the US cardiology guidelines anyone under age 50 should get a mechanical valve. That is just the medical consensus.

The other thing to understand about TAVI is that is NOT safer than OHS in terms of dying in the operating room which seems to be what you fear. It is normally used for elderly patients who are too weak for OHS. I’m assuming the cash price for TAVI relates to how medical payments work in your country. It is important to say this is not a luxury upgrade. OHS today is a safe procedure that especially for someone of your age will give a very good outcome. TAVI is a wonderful technology for your grandma that can extend her years and quality of life. For us? Not so great. The younger you are, the faster tissue valves degrade.

Keep asking questions, only you can make this decision for yourself but you should make sure logic is driving your decision not fear. It is rough because this was such a shock to learn about but you will get your wits about you and be able to think very carefully.

Best wishes you will get through!
Uuuu Respec! That was big surgery. That's inspire me a lot. I read your posts of all of you and I am greatfull. You all want to help with good advices. Your story is inspirating and I am on the start now. In 5 days I have MSCT coronarogeaphy. And then TEE(waiting for termin). Hope that MSCT coronagraphy will help for some data of my arteries and maybe valves. I really don't know from ultrasound anything yet. One more time, tnx for wishes and I want you fast recovery. God bless you.❤️

but I must take anticolagation pills every day. I they have simptoms?

Very few people have problems with Warfarin. A good source of information is from Mayo Clinic, a major hospital in the USA:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...s/in-depth/warfarin-side-effects/art-20047592

Many people on this forum have MANY years of experience taking Warfarin with no major problems. It is a very safe drug as long as you take your correct dose each day and test your INR every 1 or 2 weeks.

I take Warfarin every day to keep my INR between 2.0 and 3.0. I have NO worries about the side effects of taking it. I measure my INR every week and adjust my dose if needed. During the last year I have only needed to make adjustments when I had a tooth pulled, and when I took antibiotics because I had pneumonia.

Very few people have problems with Warfarin. A good source of information is from Mayo Clinic, a major hospital in the USA:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases...s/in-depth/warfarin-side-effects/art-20047592

Many people on this forum have MANY years of experience taking Warfarin with no major problems. It is a very safe drug as long as you take your correct dose each day and test your INR every 1 or 2 weeks.

I take Warfarin every day to keep my INR between 2.0 and 3.0. I have NO worries about the side effects of taking it. I measure my INR every week and adjust my dose if needed. During the last year I have only needed to make adjustments when I had a tooth pulled, and when I took antibiotics because I had pneumonia.
Tnx. I will read it.

Well, I buy for my self 10 or 15 years with TAVR and who knows...Why do OHS and risk not to wake up from surgery. Who knows what will be with the world in 10 or 15 years.. Don't think that much long. Live day by day.
TAVR is non invasion one hour procedure. Why not for 7000E?
Of course this is 100% your choice, but the why not is because most likely the planet will still be spinning in 10-15 years.

A bioprosthetic CAN last 20 years, but that doesn't mean it will. I have read stories from people where they failed in three. You MAY, at your age, get 10 years. Let's use that number, although it could be less. That puts you at 56 years old. So, let's say they can do valve in valve at that time, with TAVR again. That would put you at 66 in another 10 years. So, at that point Open-Heart surgery becomes far more dangerous, but it is most likely what you will require. It will be more risky due to your age, and then add in the risk factor of having undergone TAVR twice, and risk is multiplied. TAVR is minimally invasive, but that doesn't mean it doesn't cause scarring, etc inside your body. All that said, as Pellicle stated, you may very well have to get Open-Heart surgery for the second operation and while still young, you will be older and so the recovery will likely be a bit harder.

My husband went through this same decision making process as he is only 51 and just had his valve replaced two weeks ago. He chose mechanical because it is, more than likely, a one-and-done scenario. He can just enjoy the rest of his life without having to go through this ever again. He was unsure about Warfarin management, but reading this forum made him feel confident it wouldn't be a big deal. He already takes daily medication, what's one more. ;) After he gets through the learning stage he will move to home monitoring or his inr which makes Warfarin management even easier, as you can tweak your own dosage as needed for quick adjustments.

Anyway, as I said, this is 100% your decision and you have to make the best decision you can for yourself. If all you are worried about is making it easy right now, then I guess a bioprosthetic is fine. If you would like to make your life easier for the next 40 years though, a mechanical is the way to go.

It is hard for me. I am scary of open heart surgery and TAVR is revolution. Arnold Swarzzeneger have 2 surgery's in 20 years. I don't mind that. Just want to avoid open heart surgery. I must decide. I will read more stuff. Thank all of you for info's. 💕
That fear is valid, but in reality, the mortality rate for open-heart valve surgery is very low and being your age and healthy, well.... LOL The mortality rate includes ALL people who have the surgery. Many are VERY sick when they have it. As a healthy person your odds are much higher than someone with severe heart damage already and carrying multiple co-morbidities, such as obesity and diabetes.

Hello, sir! I am from Romania, I had not one but two open heart surgeries in the span of 2 years!! I am still alive without complications. The first one was at 20 and second when I was 22 years old. First one consisted of a valvuloplasty which you guessed, it didn't last, the thing was that nobody wants a young student to take anticoagulants, to manage his INR and so and so. At the second intervention I got a mechanical valve and now for a year and half I have been taking anticoagulant treatment and everything is good. So based on my experience I advise you to undergo only an OHS where your valve will be replaced with a mechanical one. It was a shock for me to undergo a second OHS so soon, you have to take in consideration that might be the case for you too, I have a 42 years old friend who had the surgery done in the same time as mine, he is fine ticking and living and is going to have his second wedding soon, so life goes on. I see no reason for you to not have an OHS you are young, fit, active, you will recover quickly. Yes you will take a break from lifting and drinking beer and smoking, but you will go back to these activities in no time (hopefully you will quit smoking). It's a scary huge, major interventions which movies made it look as a death sentence but it's not that it's a surgery that helps you live longer.
Please do not hesitate to ask me any type of question!

Back