Croatian New member-severe aortic stenosis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is hard for me. I am scary of open heart surgery and TAVR is revolution.
its scary for everyone ... and TAVR is only a revolution for the elderly and frail. There is an old saying: a coward dies a thousand deaths ... you won't die a thousand times, but you will regret the outcome I'm quite confident of that.

Arnold Swarzzeneger have 2 surgery's in 20 years.
you don't know the half of it and how much he ruined himself ... he took a Ross however so you should do some reading about that. Its discussed widely here

Look at the famous Arnold Schwarzenegger who had the Ross in 1997, with 2 following surgeries and the final at the Cleveland Clinic this past October.

https://hcatodayblog.com/2018/04/06/what-was-wrong-with-arnold-schwarzeneggers-heart/
It appears that you have time to really research the topic and decide which direction to go. Lots of info out there.

you can get anything if you pay for it ... that does not make it good for you.

Best Wishes

It is hard for me. I am scary of open heart surgery and TAVR is revolution. Arnold Swarzzeneger have 2 surgery's in 20 years. I don't mind that. Just want to avoid open heart surgery. I must decide. I will read more stuff. Thank all of you for info's. 💕
I just had OHS 12 days ago for a more complicated surgery (mitral mechanical valve replacement, triscuspid valve repair, a maze procedure, and a left atrial appendage ligation) even with some complications, I’m already back home with zero pain. The sternal scar is actually about half healed on the surface. I am age 56.

To give someone your age a tissue valve (regardless of whether as tavi or traditional ohs) means you will definitely need OHS down the road. I decided to bite the bullet and do it now while I am relatively young healthy and able recover. The mechanical valve will last me a lifetime. My surgeon said in my case a tissue valve would only probably last 3-4 years. While I’m recovering well, I sure don’t want a second ohs.

Per the US cardiology guidelines anyone under age 50 should get a mechanical valve. That is just the medical consensus.

The other thing to understand about TAVI is that is NOT safer than OHS in terms of dying in the operating room which seems to be what you fear. It is normally used for elderly patients who are too weak for OHS. I’m assuming the cash price for TAVI relates to how medical payments work in your country. It is important to say this is not a luxury upgrade. OHS today is a safe procedure that especially for someone of your age will give a very good outcome. TAVI is a wonderful technology for your grandma that can extend her years and quality of life. For us? Not so great. The younger you are, the faster tissue valves degrade.

Keep asking questions, only you can make this decision for yourself but you should make sure logic is driving your decision not fear. It is rough because this was such a shock to learn about but you will get your wits about you and be able to think very carefully.

Best wishes you will get through!

I understand. Young people often do not ever believe that they will grow old one day. Just consider that the TAVR may very well only last 5 to 10 years and not 10-15. They have very little data on younger patients with TAVR, but young patients go through them faster. Are they telling you to expect 10 to 15 years? If so, I question that guidance.
I totally get the concept of living day to day and wanting to avoid OHS in the short term. But, bear in mind, that you might end up being in your 50s and wishing that you had thought 20 to 40 years ahead, instead of 5 or 10. You're 46 and have a potential long life ahead of you

Regardless, the choice is 100% yours. I would just encourage you to give it a lot of thought before getting set on TAVR.
Yes. That's true. Mechanical valves last forever(🤫😂) but I must take anticolagation pills every day. I they have simptoms? I will search today and tomorrow forum little bit about that. First I must do TEE and we will se. Tnx on info's💕

Back