Tips to prevent Endocarditis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncw3642

Hi all!

I've been doing some research around the forums and online for tips to prevent endocarditis (to the best of your ability- sometimes things just happen), but I was wondering if anyone has any tips their doctor/surgeon suggested/they have picked up to do their best to lower the probabilitiy and risk of developing?

Specifically, as it relates to daily health/oral health. I go to the dentist 2x a year- and always (despite brushing twice a day and flossing) develop plaque buildup and bleed a lot when they clean my teeth-- my dentists just say that's genetic and recommend timely 6-month cleanings to avoid any cavity formation due to the buildup being (in their eyes) inevitable.

Just trying to see if anyone has any tips for at-home oral care/other ways in their day-to-day to reduce the risk of endocarditis. From my anecdotal perspective in the hospital, almost every patient who comes in with endocarditis has fairly poor outcomes-- so trying to get into good routines to lower the risk.

Hi all!

I've been doing some research around the forums and online for tips to prevent endocarditis (to the best of your ability- sometimes things just happen), but I was wondering if anyone has any tips their doctor/surgeon suggested/they have picked up to do their best to lower the probabilitiy and risk of developing?

Specifically, as it relates to daily health/oral health. I go to the dentist 2x a year- and always (despite brushing twice a day and flossing) develop plaque buildup and bleed a lot when they clean my teeth-- my dentists just say that's genetic and recommend timely 6-month cleanings to avoid any cavity formation due to the buildup being (in their eyes) inevitable.

Just trying to see if anyone has any tips for at-home oral care/other ways in their day-to-day to reduce the risk of endocarditis. From my anecdotal perspective in the hospital, almost every patient who comes in with endocarditis has fairly poor outcomes-- so trying to get into good routines to lower the risk.
I do not believe that there is much to do about endocarditis, especially after taking the necessary precautions such as oral hygiene. I think you should not poison your life with this fear. Living with the constant fear that I will get endocarditis does nothing but upset the person.

To kill what's in my mouth, I use Listerine at home before the appointment rinsing for a few minutes. I also request a rinse with an antibaterial rinse before starting treatment at the dentist.

Want attention if someone is cut deeply or injured, then an antibiotic is needed.
Also, if possible, do not store the toothbrush in the bathroom, the reason is that there are many bacteria and germs, always rinse the toothbrush before use.

Also, if possible, do not store the toothbrush in the bathroom
I store mine in alcohol after discovering this
https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2013/05/inside-reach.html

on the subject of the bathroom, I would ask what basis you have for that statement. I would think that sinks of any type (especially ones used a lot and where food is prepared) would be the main source. I can say that in microbiol we took swabs home and took samples then did growth from them. People were often disgusted with how filthy their kitchen was and how devoid of bacteria their toilet was.

So I'd say "don't let your brush fall into the sink" but in my case I douse it in vodka so its all good.

Last edited:
Morning

I've been doing some research around the forums and online for tips to prevent endocarditis
your diligence is excellent, so many just bury their heads in the sand of "ignore it"

(to the best of your ability- sometimes things just happen),
I guess, but based on what I know that would be a small percentage of the already small percentage of people who get endo. I've personally talked to people who have rank oral hygiene who have zero interest in cleaning their teeth. Its disgusting.

but I was wondering if anyone has any tips their doctor/surgeon suggested/they have picked up to do their best to lower the probabilitiy and risk of developing?

• good oral hygiene
  • paying attention to throat infections (like Strep), do not let it go chronic and seek out a Dr and ask for antibiotics (and bloody stay the full course, don't just take them until you start to feel better).
  • single large dose of antibiotics prior to oral cleaning at the dentist

I've noted that chewing gum that has maltitol has changed my amount of plaque. I'm due for my 6 monthly scale and clean soon, so I'll report my outcomes (like is there an improvement)

1726518508082.png

HTH

Hi all!

Oral health is not the reason of Endocarditis. Even a virus can cause it like from a cold, or allergies that causes you to have a viral infection.

Oral health is not the reason of Endocarditis. Even a virus can cause it like from a cold, or allergies that causes you to have a viral infection.
Yes it's true that endocarditis can come from non-oral routes.

My old blind crotchety dog bit me good, proving the adage "let sleeping dogs lie." The vet at work said I should get some antibiotics immediately, that's what they do when bit by a dog. Me being stupid, said I've been bit many times before, so I didn't start antibiotics and soon my hand was swollen and inflamed. However the vet was right, and in two days I needed an antibiotic injection and a course of oral antibiotics followed up by another injection 5 days later. I didn't get endocarditis, but my doctor said the antibiotics were necessary not only for the infection in my hand but also to stave off the infection moving somewhere else.

I have had endocarditis twice. Both times it was strep but different strains of strep. I was told that most strep comes from the mouth. But I had no obvious cause so—. I rinse with listerene before brushing and do not floss but use a waterpik. I’ve also been taking cephalexin 2x daily for the last 3 yrs with no big side effects prescribed by my infectious disease doc. I am allergic to penicillin and break out in hives from the cephalexin. Zyrtec takes care of the hives. Doc said no downside to taking the cephalexin long term. So I will be on it indefinitely.

Yes it's true that endocarditis can come from non-oral routes.

My old blind crotchety dog bit me good, proving the adage "let sleeping dogs lie." The vet at work said I should get some antibiotics immediately, that's what they do when bit by a dog. Me being stupid, said I've been bit many times before, so I didn't start antibiotics and soon my hand was swollen and inflamed. However the vet was right, and in two days I needed an antibiotic injection and a course of oral antibiotics followed up by another injection 5 days later. I didn't get endocarditis, but my doctor said the antibiotics were necessary not only for the infection in my hand but also to stave off the infection moving somewhere else.
It is like for this RSV vaccine, they have it where you have to be 60 to get, despite all the health issues on their list. But I I call that age discrimination for the chronic people. I had the flu seriously bad in 1979, had to sleep sitting up in bed to sleep due to all the congestion. I was 13-year-old kid back then. Heard about the RSV, my colds nightmares crept back till student PC, and another clinic my hospital, and the CDC insists I be 60, I will be 60 in January, right in the middle of flu, and cold season. I will have one more shot with the diabetes and cardio in December. I hate chest colds, hard to shake off in the winter. And take the risk for endocarditis from the colds which can be high in the winter. {ray I make it to someone who will listen. And I am suffering allegeries right now, nose congestion and settle in my chest. Started during the weekend. Feeling a little better today. And you be okay too.

At night I …

Brush my teeth
Floss
Waterpik (distilled water)
Rinse with Listerine for 60s

I also rinse my toothbrush with a little bit of Listerine twice a week

The above routine I only do once a day 😳😱. There are days that I brush my teeth twice a day … but honestly, that mainly happens on the weekends or days that I go into the office. Yes, I work from home 😁😂🤣. If I went into the office my teeth would be brushed every morning without fail.

I go to the dentist twice a year, every year, without fail.

Even with my mainly once a day routine, I still have never had a cavity … and I’m 53yo. My gums don’t bleed. Things are good (for now).

Oh!! And in response to my above post, I only started with the Waterpik about 1-1/2 years ago. I put it off forever saying to myself “Meh! It can’t help that much”. I was wrong. Not only do I actually SEE the extra crumbs being forced out, but my dentist saw the difference immediately on the next cleaning. There was significantly less to clean … especially behind my back teeth and on my back teeth.

I know this post is about endocarditis and not dentistry and oral hygiene … but as Chuck pointed out, a lot of endocarditis can be tracked to oral “stuff”

Latest posts

Back