Surgery is officially recommended

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m 54 and need surgery within the year. What age range are you in that the surgeon is recommending a tissue valve as I am trying to decide what to do as well.
I am 50, oh wait, 51. It was my birthday the day he said I needed surgery. The surgeon who said he would recommend it isn't my surgeon, just a friend. My Cardiologist was the one who said tissue valve was the way to go. I haven't talked to the surgeon yet. I am getting my angiogram tomorrow.

I’m 54 and need surgery within the year. What age range are you in that the surgeon is recommending a tissue valve as I am trying to decide what to do as well.
Welcome aboard Kristianna ... I hope you find information here on these pages to help you.

My advice is to step back from whatever you "think" you know right now; spend time reading, ask questions, read papers.

Or just flip a coin (no, seriously).

Best Wishes

And I have yet to be prescribed Oxycontin. it is very addictive.
YES! In the early days the doctors were told it wasn't though. Even a lot of the doctors who were skeptical ended up believing the pharmacy reps lies.

My ex-husband was prescribed it after shattering his wrist and shoulder blade because he had to wait a couple of days for surgery and was in a LOT of pain. I remember he took one and was SO out of it. He only took it a couple times after that first dose, and he halved the dose. It scared him a little how hard it hit him. We ended up having that bottle sitting up on the shelf forever until I finally threw the remaining pills away. We had to jump through hoops to even get the prescription filled. Our insurance was out of a state that was hit hard by opioid abuse, and refused to pay. His doctor had to call them and explain this was a case where the medication was actually needed.

YES! In the early days the doctors were told it wasn't though. Even a lot of the doctors who were skeptical ended up believing the pharmacy reps lies.

My ex-husband was prescribed it after shattering his wrist and shoulder blade because he had to wait a couple of days for surgery and was in a LOT of pain. I remember he took one and was SO out of it. He only took it a couple times after that first dose, and he halved the dose. It scared him a little how hard it hit him. We ended up having that bottle sitting up on the shelf forever until I finally threw the remaining pills away. We had to jump through hoops to even get the prescription filled. Our insurance was out of a state that was hit hard by opioid abuse, and refused to pay. His doctor had to call them and explain this was a case where the medication was actually needed.
It is tougher to get pain relief. Even in the early stage of recovery. I tried to get that same med I had in hospital, for I am bad when it comes to taking pills for pain, hardly touch unless the pain is too much. And it is due to the Opioid abuse.

It is tougher to get pain relief. Even in the early stage of recovery. I tried to get that same med I had in hospital, for I am bad when it comes to taking pills for pain, hardly touch unless the pain is too much. And it is due to the Opioid abuse.
Yes, It was blue cross/blue shield of Illinois, and Chicago had been going through major difficulties with fraudulently acquired prescriptions. *sigh*

I am not looking forward to the pain. I still have trauma from my childhood chest surgery and that was 45 years ago. This is a different surgery though, and surgical procedures/pain management techniques have improved since then....

Latest posts

Back