Self dosing question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthVanJosh

Hi all,

My INR during my hopsital stay a week ago was all within the 2-3 target range. I have been on 5mg per day. After being discharged my readings went from 2.9 > 2.4 > 1.7 and just today at 1.6. My doctor advised me after the 1.7 reading that if the next reading was below 2 again then he would up my dose by 20%.

Unfortunately he is on vacation until Tuesday and I am unable to get in contact with the heart unit that did my surgery too.

Wondering if I am ok to up my dose to 6mg a day till Tuesday (a 20% increase like he stated). Or am I missing something? Sorry I am new to the whole INR life!

Wondering if I am ok to up my dose to 6mg a day till Tuesday (a 20% increase like he stated). Or am I missing something? Sorry I am new to the whole INR life!
yep .. I'd also increase dose. Nobody will smack your wrists.

The actual reason you are on warfarin is to attain a specific INR not a specific dose.

1719546825218.png

Its pretty well documented that after surgery your recovery will see your "sensitivity to warfarin" decrease (meaning more dose). Surprised me, but I worked it out.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19336266/

Conclusions: Patients steadily become less sensitive to warfarin during the first months after heart valve surgery. This leads to subtherapeutic anticoagulation. A dosing algorithm that takes increasing requirements into account is proposed. This algorithm will need to be validated prospectively.​

Best Wishes

Back