New member & “bloody” question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckmeister64

Hello everyone.

Proud owner here of a Masters Series Mechanical Heart Valve (I’ll forgo the Model Number!) since January 12, 2021. I’ve had the usual ups and downs (warfarin dosage worries, a TIA 2 months after surgery, terrible Levinox prep for a colonoscopy etc) but overall, I’m doing pretty well . . . until now . . . and here I am.

So . . . I’m currently experiencing something that has gotten worse since even before my heart procedure - large amounts of blood (clots) seem to be showing up in my saliva. At first it would appear in the AM, might last a day or two but I’d get some relief for days, weeks or even months before it would kick in again. Unfortunately, now the bleeding is happening 24/7 with no relief in sight.

I’ve talked to my dentist about the above, as I wear a mouthguard, and he can find nothing to explain all the blood. He thought that maybe I was biting my tongue while sleeping but the mouthguard fits perfectly and would prevent that from happening. When I tried making an appointment with my rather ineffectual (new) GP, I was told via his nurse that the culprit was the warfarin, keep monitoring it, but he didn’t have time to see me. I guess he’s a magician since he has the ability to diagnose me without a face to face appointment. My cardiologist is aware of the situation and I see him in early December but not sure I can wait until then.

The blood seems to be coming from underneath my tongue but I can’t be sure since my GP won’t see me as he obviously thinks it isn’t serious. I need a new GP.

Has anyone here experienced something like this? There has to be an answer to what’s going on with me. Too much warfarin? I’m getting tired of constantly spitting out blood. Help? Suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Hello everyone.

Proud owner here of a Masters Series Mechanical Heart Valve (I’ll forgo the Model Number!) since January 12, 2021. I’ve had the usual ups and downs (warfarin dosage worries, a TIA 2 months after surgery, terrible Levinox prep for a colonoscopy etc) but overall, I’m doing pretty well . . . until now . . . and here I am.

So . . . I’m currently experiencing something that has gotten worse since even before my heart procedure - large amounts of blood (clots) seem to be showing up in my saliva. At first it would appear in the AM, might last a day or two but I’d get some relief for days, weeks or even months before it would kick in again. Unfortunately, now the bleeding is happening 24/7 with no relief in sight.

I’ve talked to my dentist about the above, as I wear a mouthguard, and he can find nothing to explain all the blood. He thought that maybe I was biting my tongue while sleeping but the mouthguard fits perfectly and would prevent that from happening. When I tried making an appointment with my rather ineffectual (new) GP, I was told via his nurse that the culprit was the warfarin, keep monitoring it, but he didn’t have time to see me. I guess he’s a magician since he has the ability to diagnose me without a face to face appointment. My cardiologist is aware of the situation and I see him in early December but not sure I can wait until then.

The blood seems to be coming from underneath my tongue but I can’t be sure since my GP won’t see me as he obviously thinks it isn’t serious. I need a new GP.

Has anyone here experienced something like this? There has to be an answer to what’s going on with me. I’m getting tired of constantly spitting out blood. Help? Suggestions? Thanks everyone!
what is the color of the blood?

Hi Jeff.

It’s bright red. I could take a photo but not sure if that’s necessary. Thanks for responding!
you wrote that there is nothing wrong with your mouth. In this case, there may be a trauma in your throat, bleeding due to ulcer or erosion in the stomach and intestines. Maybe you have a lung infection or pulmonary embolism. I think you should go to the emergency room of the nearest hospital without losing time.

The Warfarin may be causing the bleeding to continue, but they need to identify the source of the bleeding. Is it a sublingual hematoma? They're usually painful and swollen, along with bleeding, and can be serious if not treated.

Yes, the PCP is useless and you need a new one, but until then, a trip to the ED might be in the cards. They can do a blood test to determine if you're anemic, which will give them an idea if the amount of blood loss is signficant.

There is a specialty in dentistry or stomatology, I think you should be examined by a stomatologist or an otolaryngologist .

Back