New here, on the fast track to having a replacement done

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from the other side! I underestimated how much it’s gonna hurt. But I’ll be fine. 😊

I got a #23 On-X. According to my surgeon my valve was unicuspid 😳. I consider it a miracle that my heart managed to cope for 44 years without failing.
Welcome to the other side! Glad that you were able to get things taken care of quickley.

I got a #23 On-X
At your young age, good choice in going mechanical.

I underestimated how much it’s gonna hurt
Hang in there. It gets significantly better day by day.

Please update us on how your recovery is coming along when you get a chance.

With the drugs and the delirium from them time seems to be flowing oddly. I'm doing breathing exercises with a small device that provides adjustable resistance as instructed by the physio. I got the urethral catheter removed yesterday, and the temporary "just in case" pacemaker today. The removal of the latter got me really curious how the leads are so steadily attached to the muscle tissue of the heart and I'll try to find more information about it.

Getting also potassium, beta-blocker, ACE inhibitor and some diuretic too every now and then because I’ve bloated 😂 and need to lose sth like 3,5 liters worth of liquid. Taking my thyroid inhibiting pill. I’ll be able to get back home one of these days, maybe Wednesday. Tomorrow I’ll get the broken teeth checked out.

Not sleeping very well though. Feeling hot, feeling cold, sweating, waking up in the middle of the night. 😵‍💫

Cheers,
Georgi

Regarding the valve, if I choose to focus on that and it’s quiet enough, I can follow the ticking sound. I have feelings of pulling here and there inside of my heart, especially today after they pulled out the pacemaker leads. The heart itself feels more twisty-turny, and, for exaple during the weekend, I would say I felt my pulse in the carotid area much more clearly than before. Not exactly a surprise when I’m now not having regurgitation. As long as it is not pathologic, I’ll get used to whatever I need to get used to.

Regarding the valve, if I choose to focus on that and it’s quiet enough, I can follow the ticking sound. ... The heart itself feels more twisty-turny, and, for exaple during the weekend, I would say I felt my pulse in the carotid area much more clearly than before. Not exactly a surprise when I’m now not having regurgitation. As long as it is not pathologic, I’ll get used to whatever I need to get used to.
its amazing how just that tiny piece of tissue in the heart can make such a difference isn't it

regarding

Not sleeping very well though. Feeling hot, feeling cold, sweating, waking up in the middle of the night. 😵‍💫

I always felt more temperature control problems post OHS, feeling cold and yet feeling damp with sweat. However you should also report this to your team because it is also (depending on intensity) a sign of something else that's not good.

Make sure you aren't being that stoic Finn with sisu.

Best Wishes

On this point allow me to present some readings here which may be helpful

The heart itself feels more twisty-turny, and

firstly this whole thread but if I may start with my post here.

Next you will need to strart thinking about "remodeling" (ask the surgeon and cardiologist you have about it). You will probably have significant ventricular hypertrophy and also septum wall thickening. You can read some posts here where Chuck C has made a great set of points about that.

Remember, as Dick says ... eat the elephant one bite at a time ... don't be afraid to leave "dark and hazy things" in this body of knowledge and to "take out what you need now" and come back to those details later in your cycle of new knowledge.

Time is now on your side.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report. The very fact that you wrote it in a detailed and coherent manner means you are not doing too badly! :)

Everybody gains "water weight" apparently, that's normal for this type of surgery. The sleep should improve a lot when you get home.

All the best!

Glad to hear you are doing well. It’ll be 4 weeks this Friday since I had mine replaced also with a St Jude, and I also had a unicusp valve. The first few days are pretty rough, but after the first week or so everything starts to get a little better. The ticking is a little annoying but I only hear while trying to get to sleep, and if I move around a little it goes.
Hope everything works out well for you

Welcome Fellow 23mm On-X recipient. Wow ! Unicuspid. I imagine you will be much improved cardiovacularly ! Recovery is not too bad at our age and fitness level. ! Congrats for avoiding the pacemaker, as well.

Back