Longest period known before aortic valve replacement needed

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAG12345

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I have been trying to research the best case scenario of how long with asymptomatic moderate aortic valve stenosis anyone has gone before needing valve replacement?

I don't find alot of research data on this...just avg time to death if no surgery and symptomatic and severe.

Would appreciate anyone's input from research and data they have seen and personal experience as well.

Thanks, everyone!

I have been trying to research the best case scenario of how long with asymptomatic moderate aortic valve stenosis anyone has gone before needing valve replacement?

I don't find alot of research data on this...just avg time to death if no surgery and symptomatic and severe.

Would appreciate anyone's input from research and data they have seen and personal experience as well.

Thanks, everyone!
I was diagnosed with severe stenosis at 12, just turned 34, no surgery.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you had symptoms during this time, like chest pain, shortness of breath or fatigue?
No, went through school playing sports without issue. Got lazy in my 20's after a back injury, still no symptoms.

Over the last 4 years I've been exercising regularly, weights, calisthenics, and HIIT cardio, no symptoms.

That is great 😃 So glad to hear this. I wonder whether it is different prognosis wise if ones stenosis starts as a child from when it starts as an older adult.
I was diagnosed at about 5, had first OHS about 10.

It all just varies. My best advice is just monitor and follow the data for you. Make peace with not knowing and live each day.

Reactions: 3mm
My husband found out he had moderate AS, and possible BAV, in January 2023 and by June 2024 it had moved into severe. That said, he could have had moderate AS for years prior. He didn't know he had a heart issue until they told him about the AS. The first time a doctor expressed concern about his heart murmur was in 2017. He has always been active and generally worked out 5 times a week for most of the past 15 years. He has no clue if the workouts gave him symptoms, because he was how he had always been. He is 51,

My husband found out he had moderate AS, and possible BAV, in January 2023 and by June 2024 it had moved into severe. That said, he could have had moderate AS for years prior. He didn't know he had a heart issue until they told him about the AS. The first time a doctor expressed concern about his heart murmur was in 2017. He has always been active and generally worked out 5 times a week for most of the past 15 years. He has no clue if the workouts gave him symptoms, because he was how he had always been. He is 51,
Thank you for letting me know what your husband's experience has been. Does he have symptoms now? I am hoping not.

When I was born, in 1936, my parents were told I had a "heart murmur". I lived a normal childhood, teenage, and young adult life without treatment or limitations......surgery was not an option in those days. When I was 30 and in my final year in college I felt unwell and went to the student health service at UofKy. They referred me to the cardiology department. After a series of tests, I was advised to have surgery to replace my aortic valve ASAP. I put off the surgery for about nine months to graduate first.

I was 31 when I had the valve replaced with a mechanical aortic valve. I am now 88+ and still have that original valve. My life with the valve has been "uneventful" except for a stroke 7 years post op. Doctors tell me my valve will still be "ticking away" when I draw my last breath.

My aortic stenosis has become severe in the last two years. In previous years it was moderate. To be honest, I never even knew I had aortic stenosis until I was 45 years old.
Until two years ago I was running ultra marathons (trail runs between 50 and 100 miles). I have run more marathons and half marathons than I cant remember (my average pulse rate was around 150 bpm).
I mention this because aortic stenosis can reach critical threshold and lead to death in a very short period of time, you don't want to gamble with that.
If I had the experience I have today at that time, I would have left the challenging activities I was doing until two years ago years ago.

Thank you for letting me know what your husband's experience has been. Does he have symptoms now? I am hoping not.
Well... 😆 he is currently in the hospital after aortic valve replacement and ascending aortic aneurysm repair. 😉 he was in afib post surgery but CardioVersion (shocking the heart) and now has normal sinus rhythm. Fingers crossed it stays. We are waiting on inr to be in therapeutic range so they will discharge him. The doctor said it was 1.8, so hopefully the next labs will be over 2.

When I was born, in 1936, my parents were told I had a "heart murmur". I lived a normal childhood, teenage, and young adult life without treatment or limitations......surgery was not an option in those days. When I was 30 and in my final year in college I felt unwell and went to the student health service at UofKy. They referred me to the cardiology department. After a series of tests, I was advised to have surgery to replace my aortic valve ASAP. I put off the surgery for about nine months to graduate first.

I was 31 when I had the valve replaced with a mechanical aortic valve. I am now 88+ and still have that original valve. My life with the valve has been "uneventful" except for a stroke 7 years post op. Doctors tell me my valve will still be "ticking away" when I draw my last breath.

Did they tell your parents the murmur was "nothing"? That's what they told hubby's parents in the 70s. They said it was probably from his heart being positioned slightly different due to his pectus excavatum.

He felt capt for years, but he thought it was because he drank so much. After being sober 2 years he thought he shouldn't be so tired. Thought it was low testosterone. PCP rolled that out, among other things, did an ekg and referred him to cardiology, at 50. 😆

Back