JOe

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

HI all-

Just wanted to let you know that Joe is in the hospital again. I took him into the ER on Wednesday, when his temp started spiking to 103. After awhile in the ER it went up to 106.7. So that bought him a room in ICU, his home away from home. He's had every test, xray, scan, (with contrast and w/o) they can possibly run on him and nothing has showed up so far, except some very mild pancreatitis which is apparently clearing up, probably left over from his gallbladder surgery disaster.

We're awaiting some cultures to grow, but the early one have shown nothing.

The good news is that he's feeling better and his temp is returning to normal. He'll be transferred to a stepdown unit today sometime.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear that Nancy. It never does stop for him does it?

I'm relieved to hear his temp is returning to normal, but with a temp that spikes like that, well I'm concerned and I'm sure you are too.

Let us know how it's going when you have the time.
Time is something that is in short supply for you lately.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Last edited:
Nancy - Thanks for the information on Joe. Glad to hear his temperature is coming down. I will say a prayer for him. It seems I do that occasionally. Good wishes to you both.

Hi Gina-

That's exactly what they are doing for the pancreatitis. He's on clear liquids only and on hydration IV. That's only part of the problem and is clearing up. His enzymes have improved. The temp. situation indicating some kind of infection is what they're trying to find the reason for. It remains a mystery, but we have some good medical sleuths working on it. It could be something that he picked up in all the units of blood products they used during his surgical bleedout. They get most of the big nasties out of the blood supply, but there are other viruses and bacteria that don't get screened for, and if you aren't immune, it could cause trouble.

Nancy-
Poor Joe. He needs a frequent flier program for the hospital. He'd have about 3 months of free work by now.
I hope Joe feels better soon. And I hope that you are doing okay, too. I am sure it's a stress that you don't need.
Hope Joe gets home soon.
I'll say a prayer for you both.
-Mara

Dear Nancy - I know how distressing it is when the person closest to you is so ill. You are joined at the hip and therefore the pain and suffering is yours, as well. I want you to know that we have walked along with you and Joe right along and will continue to go with you and send our prayers for both of you while you are suffering. When you have a moment, maybe you can post to us. In the meantime, please give Joe best wishes for a speedy return home and to better health. God bless

Get better Joe...

Get better Joe...

Wow, Nancy, he certainly didn't need this. His resiliency (and yours) are truly inspirational. I'm hoping that this gets resolved quickly.

Please pass along my best wishes to Joe, and you...you take care of yourself too.

Johnny

Nancy,

I'll keep you and Joe in my thoughts and hope his improvement continues and he is back home quickly. Take care of yourself in the process. Is there someone who helps you through all this (in person, not just in cyberspace)?

Hi Nancy,

I am wishing for a speedy recovery for your Joe. My very best wishes to Joe and I hope he'll be home real soon.
Hope you have loved ones close by to help you through this, not just us here on the forum, but we are here if you need to vent.

Hugs,

Christina
AV's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
TMC, Tucson. AZ.
Dr. Gulshan Sethi

Sheesh Nancy, Joe really should have a frequent flyer program at the hospital! He's lucky to have you by his side, though. I hope Joe feels better soon, and they find out what's wrong with him. WE're all pulling for you and Joe, and hang in there, Nancy.

oh nancy...
i returned form my vacation last night only to find this update on joe. i'm so sorry joe and you have to go through this.
you are both in my thoughts and prayers. please wish him the best for us and a speedy recovery too. also, please try and get some rest; you must be exhausted.
i look forward to hearing some good news soon. please keep us posted.
be well and God bless, sylvia

NANCY.....WE WILL BOTH BE THINKING ABOUT AND PRAYING FOR YOU AND JOE.....GOOD LUCK!! YOU HAVE BEEN A WONDERFUL SOURCE OF INSPIRATION FOR US, I ONLY HOPE TYCE AND I CAN BE NEAR THE SAME FOR YOU. PLEASE KEEP US POSTED. EVELYN

So far things are improving daily. The docs now think that his pancreatitis is just something left over from the operation on the gallbladder which is in the same vicinity. He's back on a normal diet and no problems eating it. So they are mostly concentrating on the temp and its source. It's almost normal now, just slightly elevated. There are specimens growing in Petrie dishes and they take some time.

He's still in the hospital in the Cardiac Unit where they can keep a close eye on him. And he started walking a little today, not far, because he's a little wobbly. But it's a start. Mostly I wheeled him around the floor in the Barcalounger, like he was the King, which of course he is! All the Heart Surgery Patients are jealous because they have to hoof it, and Joe can ride, for now.

Nancy,

I am pulling for you. Your strength and resolve are an inspiration to us all.

All will be OK. Joe is a survivor, and so are you

Walter

AVR 15 Aug

Hello Joe and Nancy,

I glad to hear that Joe is making progress, even if it is slower than everyone would like. Just keep thinking positive and know that we are all pulling and praying for your continued improvement.

'AL'

Hello Joe and Nancy,

I just read the post today and after scrolling down, it seems like everything will be okay. Joe and you have had your share of hospitals! Joe is a Survivor and so are you! You have been such an inspiration for this forum. When the chips are down, I hope we all able to cheer you up by letting you know we all do care and and are praying for you and Joe. I hope there is someone close by in person that you can be with too, as you are dealing with being strong for Joe. Try to get some rest yourself Nancy, so you don't get run down! I'll keep you both in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted. Take care and God Bless!

Hi Nancy and Joe, Just read your post from last night. Hope Joe had a good day today too. Will keep him in my prayers. Bonnie

HI NANCY.....JUST CHECKING THE FORUM FOR YOUR POST ON JOE....I'M SURE YOU'RE BUSY AT THE HOSPITAL....THINKING OF YOU AND GLAD THINGS ARE MOVING AHEAD, SLOW BUT SURE.....WE'RE FINE AT THIS END OF THE WORLD. TOOK A 1/2 MILE WALK TODAY AND RIGHT NOW TYCE IS NAPPING. PLEASE LET US ALL KNOW WHEN YOU GET A CHANCE. I THINK THE LORD MUST THINK I'VE ADOPTED 439 FAMILIES, I'VE BEEN PRAYING SO MUCH.....THINKING OF YOU.

EVELYN AND TYCE

Nancy:

E-mailed you about an hour ago, to get the update, but here it was, right on the site! So glad you aregiving Joe rides around the hospital. I loved the "frequest flier" idea. Joe would have a Platinum card by now! As you know, you are in our prayers every day. - Marybeth

Hi Nancy,

I wandered into SmallTalk today to find your posts here about Joe. And this is NOT "small" talk! I'm glad to hear some improvements have been made regarding his condition, and I hope those Petri cultures soon shed some light on what the trouble is and that measures can be taken to "fix" things. You are both in my prayers. Please take care of yourself, too.

-Jennie

Back