Is an aneurysm common for people with a bicuspid valve?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an aortic valve replacement surgery in 2017 and till now everything has been fine with regular INR home monitoring and checkups by the Cardiologist, but one thing has been noted that the ascending aorta's size has increased steadily over the years from 3.5cm in 2017 when I was operated to 4.3cm as of now. The surgeon says he will be monitoring it closely with CT till it reaches 5cm and then will only opt for any interventional surgery, and given my growth rate it looks fairly sure that another surgery is needed in the future. So I want to know whats the surgery is like and the success rate given I am already on blood thinner.
I had my BAV surgery in 2007, and have been living with a mid ascending aortic aneurysm for 17 1/2 years now. The Mayo Clinic monitors me and they said the magic number is 5.5 cm (about 2") now; I’m at a 4 cm (about 1.5").

I stay pretty active and I am thankful and grateful for that; I work out, play Pickleball, bicycle, hike, lift my grandkiddos…

Factoid: With an aneurysm one should avoid a class of antibiotics known as fluoroquinolones: Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Levaquin (levofloxacin), Factive (gemifloxacin) and Avelox (moxifloxacin). These medications may increase the risk of aortic dissections or ruptures.

Blessings to you all!

Factoid: With an aneurysm one should avoid a class of antibiotics known as fluoroquinolones:
interesting ... thanks for that

January 6, 2021​

...​
Subgroup Analyses
When stratified by age, the association of fluoroquinolones with aneurysm was significantly different across age groups (18-34 years: HR, 0.99; 95% CI, 0.83-1.18; 35-49 years: HR, 1.18; 95% CI, 1.09-1.28; 50-64 years: HR, 1.24; 95% CI, 1.19-1.28; P = .04) (eFigure 3 in the Supplement). Minimal differences were seen when stratified by sex, diabetes, hypertension, and hyperlipidemia (Figure 4; eFigures 4, 5, 6, and 7 in the Supplement). These data collectively suggested that fluoroquinolone use was associated with an increased risk of aneurysm among all adults aged 35 years or older and that other traditional risk factors, such as sex and comorbidities, may also be associated with aneurysm among adults, although the association may be minimal.​
Conclusions
In conclusion, fluoroquinolone use in the US and internationally has been associated with an increase in immediate incidence of aortic aneurysm formation. Although the overall incidence of aneurysm formation detected in the present study was low, the aneurysm incidence after a fluoroquinolone fill was 20% higher than that of comparator antibiotics, and consistent among all adults age 35 years or older. When examining specific anatomic sites, there was a 31% higher incidence of abdominal aortic aneurysm and a 60% higher incidence of iliac artery aneurysm after fluoroquinolone use. Contextualizing these data, we believe that the current US FDA black box warnings are warranted but may need to be expanded to include younger adults with other risk factors. Further studies will be needed to elucidate the mechanisms of fluoroquinolone-associated aneurysm development in humans in addition to studies that evaluate risk in the setting of known risk factors for aneurysmal disease or worse health care outcomes.​

Back