I remember - do you?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

Bet many of you weren't born yet in these days:

You could hardly see for all the snow,
Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go.
Pull a chair up to the TV set,
"Good night, David; Good night, Chet."

Depending on the channel you tuned
You got Rob and Laura - or Ward and June.
It felt so good, felt so right.
Life looked better in black and white.

I Love Lucy, The Real McCoys
Dennis the Menace, the Cleaver boys
Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train
Superman, Jimmy & Lois Lane.

Father Knows Best, Patty Duke
Rin Tin Tin and Lassie too,
Donna Reed on Thursday night--

I wanna go back to black and white.
Everything always turned out right.
Simple people, simple lives
Good guys always won the fights

Now nothin is the way it seems
In living color on the TV screen.
Too many murders, too much fight,
I wanna go back to black and white

In God they trusted, in bed they slept.
A promise made was a promise kept.
They never cussed or broke their vows.
They'd never make the network now.

But if I could, I'd rather be
In a TV town in '53.
It felt so good, felt so right

I'd trade all the channels on the satellite
If I could just turn back the clock tonight
To when everybody knew wrong from right
Life was better in black and white!

Hi Hensylee,

I liked what you posted. Very good. We can't argue with those points can we? Too much has changed but not necessarily for the better. Like you said, bet many weren't even born yet. I was and I remember watching TV since I was two, which was in 1952. I remember watching the Hit Parade, Milton Berle, Sid Ceasar, Imogene Cocoa, all of the shows you mentioned and yes, they were clean but entertaining. There were others but the names escape me now. These days I'm bnot much of a TV watcher becasue I don't like most of whats on. To me a lot of it seems like an insult to my intelligence.

Well lets go back a little further to a quiz a friend sent me. Answers are at the bottom. I think you'll love it. I didn't know all of the answers but I knew enough. I scored a 15. Here goes:

This test was fun to take and even if you aren't "an old geezer" you might
enjoy it.)

1. In the 1940's, where were automobile headlight dimmer switches located?
a. On the floor shift knob
b. On the floor board, to the left of the clutch
c. Next to the horn

2. The bottle top of a Royal Crown Cola bottle had holes in it. For what was
it used?
a. Capture lightning bugs
b. To sprinkle clothes before ironing
c. Large salt shaker

3. Why was having milk delivered a problem in northern winters?
a. Cows got cold and wouldn't produce milk
b. Ice on highways forced delivery by dog sled
c. Milkmen left deliveries outside of front doors and milk would freeze,
expanding and pushing up the cardboard bottle top.

4. What was the popular chewing gum named for a game of chance?
a. Blackjack
b. Gin
c. Craps!

5. What method did women use to look as if they were wearing stockings when
none were available due to rationing during W.W.II?
a. Suntan
b. Leg painting
c. Wearing slacks

6. What postwar car turned automotive design on its ear when you couldn't
tell whether it was coming or going?
a. Studebaker
b. Nash Metro
c. Tucker

7. Which was a popular candy when you were a kid?
a. Strips of dried peanut butter
b. Chocolate licorice bars
c. Wax coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water inside

8. How was Butch wax used?
a. To stiffen a flat-top haircut so it stood up
b. To make floors shiny and prevent scuffing
c. On the wheels of roller skates to prevent rust

9. Before inline skates, how did you keep your roller skates attached to
your shoes?
a. With clamps, tightened by a skate key
b. Woven straps that crossed the foot
c. Long pieces of twine

10. As a kid, what was considered the best way to reach a decision?
a. Consider all the facts
b. Ask Mom
c. Eeny-meeny-miney-mo

11. What was the most dreaded disease in the 1940's?
a. Smallpox
b. AIDS
c. Polio

12. "I'll be down to get you in a ________, Honey"
a. SUV
b. Taxi
c. Streetcar

13. What was the name of Caroline Kennedy's pet pony?
a. Old Blue
b. Paint
c. Macaroni

14. What was a Duck-and-Cover Drill?
a. Part of the game of hide and seek
b. What you did when your mom called you in to do chores
c. Hiding under your desk, and covering your head with your arms in an
A-bomb drill

15. What was the name of the Indian Princess on the Howdy Doody show?
a. Princess Summerfallwinterspring
b. Princess Sacajewea
c. Princess Moonshadow

16. What did all the really savvy students do when mimeographed tests were
handed out in school?
a. Immediately sniffed the purple ink, as this was believed to get you high
b. Made paper airplanes to see who could sail theirs out the window
c. Wrote another pupil's name on the top, to avoid your failure

17. Why did your mom shop in stores that gave Green Stamps with purchases?
a. To keep you out of mischief by licking the backs, which tasted like bubble
gum
b. They could be put in special books and redeemed for various household items
c. They were given to the kids to be used as stick-on tattoos

18. Praise the Lord, and pass the _________?
a. Meatballs
b. Dames
c. Ammunition

19. What was the name of the singing group that made the song "Cabdriver" a
hit?
a. The Ink Spots
b. The Supremes
c. The Esquires

20. Who left his heart in San Francisco?
a. Tony Bennett
b. Zavier Cugat
c. George Gershwin

ANSWERS:

1 b) On the floor, to the left of the clutch. Hand controls, popular in
Europe, took till the late '60s to catch on.

2. b) To sprinkle clothes before ironing. Who had a steam iron?

3. c) Cold weather caused the milk to freeze and expand, popping the bottle
top.

4. a) Blackjack Gum.

5. b) Special makeup was applied, followed by drawing a seam down the back
of the leg with eyebrow pencil.

6. a) 1946 Studebaker.

7. c) Wax coke bottles containing super-sweet colored water.

8. a) Wax for your flat top (butch) haircut.

9. a) With clamps, tightened by a skate key, which you wore on a
shoestring around your neck.

10. c) Eeny-meeny-miney-mo.

11. c) Polio. In beginning of August, swimming pools were closed,movies and
other public gathering places were closed to try to prevent spread of the
disease.

12. b) Taxi. Better be ready by half-past eight!

13. c) Macaroni.

14. c) Hiding under your desk, and covering your head with your arms in an
A-bomb drill.

15. a) Princess Summerfallwinterspring. She was another puppet.

16. a) Immediately sniffed the purple ink to get a high.

17. b) Put in a special stamp book, they could be traded for household items
at the Green Stamp store.

18. c) Ammunition, and we'll all be free.

19. a) The all male, all black group: The Inkspots.

20. a) Tony Bennett, and he sounds just as good today.

NOTE:
17-20 correct: You are not only older than dirt, but obviously gifted with mind
bloat.
12-16 correct: Not quite dirt yet, but your mind is definitely muddy.
0-11 correct: You are a sad excuse for a geezer or you are younger than
springtime. .

Hi!
Having been born in '53, I really enjoyed this! I grew up with all those shows viewed on a blond maple cabinet , black (almost green) and white Hoffman TV. Even had lightning strike our TV antenna and set the roof on fire when I was in the first grade! I now re-live those memories watching TV LAND on cable. Thanks for the "flashback"...it was great!

Les
AVR '93 / '95
"The Click Is Where It's At"

I am older than dirt - I got every single one! I even remember before TV - all we had was the radio and newspaper and we had paperboys who brought morning and evening newspapers every day. My brother was a paper boy and that's how he paid for his piano lessons -

Here comes the wet blanket-Ole Bill

This is one of many lists remembering the "good ole days" and I have to admit that I got way too many right(probably just because I have a mind for trivia).

One thing that I want to mention about those good ole days is that if we were back there now. Most of us would be dead or dying due to our medical problems. I remind my self of that anytime I wish for the old ways. Unfortunately it is part of the package we get.

By the way princess Summer-Fall-Winter-Spring was a live actress at one time and she left the show to go home to her tribe to be the mother chief or something or other. I was broken hearted at10 or so. I have since decided that she must have gotten pregnant and they could not let a woman in such condition appear on television. Or did is just dream all this.

I love sitting with younger people and playing a game. Finding out the incredible number of things that have "always been there in their lives". Ball point pens, color tv(just tv), microwave ovens, remote control tvs, air conditioning in cars, throw away diapers. It is fun especially when some act like they have always been there.

Bill

Les, we too had a blond maple TV. It was definitely the in thing. Then later my Dad bought a console walnut color TV.. I just couldn't wait until the Wizard of Oz came on because then I would be able to see it turn to color in Munchkinland. I too rather watch TV Land.

Ross, I checked out that website. Too cool! I only explored a little but it is rather interesting. Now we know whjere you spend your time when you aren't on VR.com :D

Bill, I agree that if we were back in those times, we probably wouldn't have made it , but thanks to modern medicine and technology, we've come so far and we are here, Thank God.

I do had something to add about what you were saying that the younger ones think everything was always here. When my nephew was about 6 years old, he was talking to his mother and wanted to know when color was invented? In his little mind, he figured everything must have only been in black and white because all the old movies and photographs were. He figured we all grew up only seeing things in black and white!:D I thought that was too precious. My sister couldn't stop laughing over that one!

No, Hensylee, I didn't make it to older than dirt. I got what Ross got, 12-16 correct: Not quite dirt yet, but your mind is definitely muddy. Take care everyone!

100%

100%

Being born in '47 (ugh) the years 52 to 60 had all these memories and many more.

I also remember:

1. Our refridgerator was chilled with a block of ice, delivered each day by the Ice Man.

2. Listening to Superman, The Shadow, Little Orphan Annie on the radio.

3. Our first black and white TV.......only had 3 channels (My father, a policeman, said it fell off a truck)

4. Sharing a pair of roller skates with my brother. The other side of the skate key was used to adjust the size of the skate.

5. Being Catholic, the Nuns who taught us were always right! And they used a metal ruler on our knuckles to prove it.

6. Our Brownie Hawkeye Camera (Kodak) and I sill have it.

7. Our washing machine (with a ringer on top) was in our kitchen.

8. My mom drying clothes on the clothesline outside.

9. Living in a 6 family house with all relatives.

10. The Catholic Mass being said in all Latin and falling asleep during the sermon.

AGE BRINGS SUCH WONDERFUL MEMORIES ..........AND TOO MANY WRINKLES.

simpler times

simpler times

C'mon guys!
Was born in '43, took the "test" and got every one of them right!! Older than dirt!
I also remember listening to The Shadow and cutting out paper dolls while listening, first TV was black & white, round, tiny with only wrestling! Loved it!I still have my Brownie camera and remember well the "ruler" that the Nuns kept hidden behind their backs walking up & down the aisles!
I just yearn for simpler times where you knew where you stood and what was expected of you. I couldn't give up all the "goodies" that we have to make life easier though. Ah well, I suppose you can't have everything!:(

I was born in '67 and took the test and got everyone right, so what does that say about me? I'll tell you what: I spent too much time during my childhood watching old movies and old t.v. shows.

I remember our first refrigerator, it was that ugly avacado color. We had one of those dish washers that you hooked up to the kitchen sink spigot. I saw on just like on a re-run of "Let's Make a Deal" the other day.

You guys and your reminiscences. Just think about today's high school seniors. They have never lived in a world without CDs, AIDS and Brittany Spears! Now that's frightening!

Born in '38 and remeber all those things and more.
Hey don't forget the milkman!

Hi All:
I, too, am older than dirt...got 19 correct and was born in '42. I remember the "Green Hornet" and you-know-who said, "Only the Shadow knows." I also remember the adverts that said 4 out of 5 doctors recommend Lucky Strike. Maybe that was 9 of 10. I could well forget that one. What gave be the biggest grin was question #17. I remember getting two big glass lamps with green stamps. Had to make two trips on the bus. I'm laughing now because those two lamps are in use in my family room today. Some things last. Good memories are the best.

I was born in '77, and got 8 of them right. Before I was 12, we didn't watch much TV. Now we do, but I never lived through the 40's, 50's, or 60's, and missed most of the 70's. Guess I'm not a geezer. In less than a month, I will be a quarter of a century old. WOW!

Older than..???

Older than..???

I remember most of the test and all recalled by others...1st TV I saw was rather yellow/green...rather than black/white. I lived in a small coastal town, Bolinas, Ca. and there were two families 'rich' enough to have TV's. All the towns kids gathered at those two houses...LOL! Prior to TV we played..'kick the can'...football..rode bikes..played tennis...swam in the ocean daily until dark. On Halloween..we had 'hayrides' and visited neighbors on the 'mesa' and enjoyed 'cider' and other homemade 'goodies'. NEVER happen today.

Imagine..our kids and grandkids will have stories to tell also....just different from ours. The only thing that kept me from 'older than dirt'...lol..is my CRS...

Zip *~*

Mara, I have a dishwasher that hooks up to the spigot and they are still available for those of us who MUST have one but don't have cabinet space in our old small houses to install. I bought it about 8 yrs ago; it's a Maytag and is just the best. My first one back in the 60's was also a portable, loaded from the TOP, my second and third were also portable. When something goes wrong, as my last one did, the repairperson doesn't have to break up the whole kitchen to get to it. I roll it to a sunny window and the cat loves getting on top to lie in the sun and watch for lizards who chance to come by and get on the screen.

Thanks for the memories. I only got one of two wrong on the test. I'm 51,born in 51.... good numbers. How many of you where on the howdie doodie show? I was! Life sure was good then. Kids today are missing allot. How about halloween? We could go out with out fear. martha

I remember...

I remember...

Neat journey back in time. I was born in 44 and got all right except about the cars...thought too much...first thought Stude, but then thought the little bathtub Nash looked like that too!

Anyway...still older than dirt!

Back