Gingerbread Houses

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mara

Hi all-
I know we have quite the talented crew here, so who has a great recipe for a gingerbread house? I really want to make one to enter in a local contest, but I want one that I can eat, too. I bet someone has a time-tested version.

Only 40 days until Christmas.

I don't cook - or bake. But I bet you could find one on the sites of Woman's Day mag - or DIY. Just go in there and search - or just search gingerbread house. Gotta be something there for you. Hope you take a pic and post for us. Oh, and BTW, win.

I hear gum drops make great roofs - and royal icing that you can color any way you like. Royal icing gets so hard you could break a window w/it so it would work very well for trim on doors, windows, etc. Also freezing any cake before decorating can save many mistakes.

But then, I am not a cook - so wait for somebody else.

I used to make gingerbread houses when my girls were little. It's a lot of fun. I can't remember the dough recipe, but here's a link for some. I did use royal icing to glue the house together and hold on the candies. The same site probably has royal icing too, just do a search.

If you want to really get creative, add some cotton candy for chimney smoke. Sometimes our market has it. I wouldn't add that till the last minute because it might melt down with any moisture.
Have fun!

http://www.recipesource.com/cgi-bin...serts/cookies&imageField.x=15&imageField.y=21

Last edited:
Making Gingerbread Houses is one of our "annual" activities. We haven't made ours for this year yet, so we missed our local contest. Oh well, we'll make one soon & donate to a nursing home or something.

I wish I could be of more help for a gingerbread recipe. Since I don't like gingerbread, I usually just try to find the recipe that's the easiest to make. I think I look for a new one every year. I'll have to look at the website Nancy references.

But, here's some helpful hints:

Cut the Gingerbread AFTER you bake it (while it's still hot & use a serrated knife if necessary). If you cut before you bake it, you'll have rounded corners and some sides will not bake the same size even though you used the same pattern (you know how cookies bake into "rounded" shapes). Let your gingerbread pieces dry out for at least a day or so (sometimes I wait a week) before you start decorating...they won't be so soft then.

I laminated a pattern so I could use it every year.

When using Royal Icing, make sure you mix it in a glass or metal bowl. Apparently plastic (including spatulas) absorb grease or something (from other uses) which will break down the royal icing so it won't get hard....or something like that. That's also why you're suppose to make your angel food cake in a non-plastic bowl.

If you want to create the "just snowed" look, dust powdered sugar on top of your house AFTER all the Royal icing has dried, otherwise your candies will not stick.

If you turn sugar (ice cream) cones upside down & frost them with green frosting, they'll look like trees. You can make snowmen out of marshmellows (2 stacked on top of each other) and maybe put a Hershey Kiss on top for a hat (or some other candy).

Mini wheats, smarties, tootsie rolls, etc. all make great roofs.
Also, when making "windows" in your gingerbread, smash some hard candy and bake it in that space and it'll bake into a "stained glass" window.

Mini pretzel twists make cute little fences. Use "Combos" to make it look like you have a stack of firewood by your house.

I usually try to buy some of my "decorating" candy after christmas when it's really marked down & pack it with my Fall decorations...that way I have cheap decorations!!

By the way, I worked in a bakery for a couple years as a cake decorator (when I was a teenager) and it continues to be one of my hobbies.

Enjoy!
Judy

Mara, I'd better not give you the recipe my daughter and I used years ago...we made it and in about 8 days it started getting moldy! How do you explain that to an 8 year old!? Mama don't cook good!

Hey Mara,
I lost my original recipe but get the latest Good Housekeeping magazine. They have a gingerbread house contest every year and also include a recipe and tips. Good luck!

Back