Feeling a whirlwind of emotions—sadness, confusion, bewilderment, …, etc. after my recent “Bubble echo” test, which uncovered a hole in my heart.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow when you hear reports for strokes with the mechanical valve it sways you towards the bovine valve yet i read on this site that that valve had malfunctioned after only a couple of years very hard to make a decision of which valve to go ahead with when you hear feedback not good from both of them i just hope when the time comes in a few more weeks i make the right decision
I can’t speak for everyone on here but I can’t fathom going through OHS again. For that reason alone I always recommend the mechanical option. Keep the INR close to 3.0 and live your life!

I tested the day before at home and was 1.8 and when the ambulance got me to the hospital they did a blood test because they can’t administer clot busting meds over a certain INR. My INR at the hospital was 1.7.
Thank you for responding. The reason I asked is because, in my case, when my INR test result at home is 2.6, it’s around 2.4 at the lab! This is why I stick to stay towards the higher value.

wow when you hear reports for strokes with the mechanical valve it sways you towards the bovine valve
It is important to understand that bovine and porcine valves have strokes also. In fact, several studies have shown that long term stroke rates are about the same between mechanical and tissue valves. Without anticoagulation, or keeping INR too low, yes mechanical has a higher stroke rate. But, self testing weekly and keeping INR in a safe range drops the risk of stroke significantly and arguably could even present patients with a lower stroke risk than tissue valves.

I think the take away message is to discuss with your cardiologist keeping INR over 2.0 and don't fall prey to what many believe is a Cryolife marketing scheme promoting the 1.5 - 2.0 INR range. As Buck's physician did, we are seeing more and more members report that their medical teams are ignoring the 1.5 to 2.0 range in favor of higher ranges, typically targeting a number above 2.0, which is associated with lower stroke rates. Even The PROACT Trial, which was used to get FDA approval for the lower INR range for On-x, had a much higher rate of strokes in the lower INR arm.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. The reason I asked is because, in my case, when my INR test result at home is 2.6, it’s around 2.4 at the lab! This is why I stick to stay towards the higher value.
That’s a great policy to have! The Coumadin Clinic had told me from the beginning that they self-test machines are +/- 20%. I always try to stay a little high for that reason.

question for you as you have an On-x . Do you take a small aspirin. 75/80 mg along with your daily tablets
I have an On-X aortic valve, and i take an 81mg aspirin daily in addition to my Warfarin. My cardiologist and I discussed this. She and I agree that as long as I tolerate the aspirin well it is a small bit of additional protection.

I have an On-X aortic valve, and i take an 81mg aspirin daily in addition to my Warfarin. My cardiologist and I discussed this. She and I agree that as long as I tolerate the aspirin well it is a small bit of additional protection.
It definitely is. I just try not to take anymore meds than I have to because I’m crazy.

Yes. I tested weekly at home and reported to the Coumadin Clinic who kept me 1.5-2.0, based on my cardiologist’s order. I was 1.7 the day of the stroke when I got to the hospital. Unlike many others on here, I have a great relationship with my Coumadin Clinic. They only monitor me and help keep me therapeutic based on my cardiologist’s order.
can you be honest with me and can you tell me if you had a second chance would you have a mechanical valve again and does the sound of it bother you is it loud

can you be honest with me and can you tell me if you had a second chance would you have a mechanical valve again and does the sound of it bother you is it loud
I can say, with 100% certainty, that I would get the mechanical valve again. I was 39 when I had OHS. I read for months on the reliability and longevity of mechanical valves. I would never push my decision on anyone but, when asked my recommendation, I would advise to get a mechanical in most situations. My valve is extremely loud. I hear it all the time and people that are around me a lot can hear it. Once someone hears it they can’t stop hearing it. It is annoying at times but it’s also a blessing and a reminder of the great times we are living in and how lucky I am to get every one of those “clicks”! If you want to go with a tissue valve I wouldn’t try to talk you out of it. It’s your decision. Just do your research. I have noticed a lot of people go with a tissue valve on a promise that when it fails they can do a TAVR, only to find out when the time comes that they aren’t eligible for the TAVR. Best to talk to your doc, maybe a 2nd opinion, and keep reaching out to people on here. A lot of good, intelligent people on this site!

Not directed at me but I (no one) can hear my On-X valve (without a stethoscope). Yet I can hear clicking wall clocks with non-sweep second hands from over 20 feet away. I had to move a clock out of my bedroom because of this, it was driving me batty.

Some people can hear their mechanical valve. Some can't. Impossible to say if you would hear yours or not.

Latest posts

Back