Checking In

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi Cooker,
Congrats to you for clicking on...and feel'n good.
I am now on 24.5 yrs of ticking, that comes with one ticker replacement 10 yrs after the valve was first installed, and also a one-time jump start.. (Clear-and stand back.).. woke up with two sunburn marks for that one)
All and all, Life is pretty good, enjoying it, and staying pretty active at 74 yrs old.

Cheers,
Rob

hi Cooker,
Congrats to you for clicking on...and feel'n good.
I am now on 24.5 yrs of ticking, that comes with one ticker replacement 10 yrs after the valve was first installed, and also a one-time jump start.. (Clear-and stand back.).. woke up with two sunburn marks for that one)
All and all, Life is pretty good, enjoying it, and staying pretty active at 74 yrs old.

Cheers,
Rob

I rejoined this site after many years away (I was Lisa in Katy then, but I don't live in Katy anymore) and finally see some more names I recognize - Cooker and RobThatsMe! Glad you both are well. I'm 26 years out and have had zero issues. I remember when I asked before my surgery how long the valve lasts, I was told they don't really know, but estimates were 25 years. At 62, I'm not ready for another surgery yet, so glad I'm in the "they don't really know" category!

....... I'm 26 years out and have had zero issues. I remember when I asked before my surgery how long the valve lasts, I was told they don't really know, but estimates were 25 years. At 62, I'm not ready for another surgery yet, so glad I'm in the "they don't really know" category!
My surgeon was more optimistic when I had the surgery in 1967 and told me my valve should last 50 years...."but they didn't really know". When I had my recent annual checkup, after 57 years with that valve, I asked my Cardio "how long do you think this valve will last?". He said "I don't know....but apparently as long as I will need it." At almost 89 years old with the health problems of old age it appears he will be right.

IMO you can't beat a mechanical valve for longevity.

My surgeon was more optimistic when I had the surgery in 1967 and told me my valve should last 50 years...."but they didn't really know". When I had my recent annual checkup, after 57 years with that valve, I asked my Cardio "how long do you think this valve will last?". He said "I don't know....but apparently as long as I will need it." At almost 89 years old with the health problems of old age it appears he will be right.

IMO you can't beat a mechanical valve for longevity.
57 years! I'll take it! That will get me to 93!

His actual words were that the valve would probably last forever, but the general thinking is 25 years, due to complications such as pannus or leaks around the sewing ring. Of course some people need one within a few years and skew the results. I prefer to skew the results the other way like you!

Latest posts

Back