Black stool

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Art O Ceitinn

I have a st. Jude valve since 2007 and have more that a fair share of bleeding episodes. First one was when I tripped walking up stairs. It took 5 weeks for the pain to subside. Second one. Nose bleed which lasted about 30 hours and was resolved after a visit to my local hospital. Third bleed. Hip replacement and it took about 2 weeks for that to resolve itself. Fourth bleed. Last Monday morning my stool was black. So l reduced my anticoagulant and got my INR checked, it was 3.8 and of course I checked with Dr. Google and decided to wait till Wednesday before a visit to the local A.E. Wednesday morning I packed my bag, just in case they decided to make me an inpatient. After reading Dr. Google I decided to look for a second opinion so I connected to Valve replacement.org and after reading everything that mentioned Black stools I decided to delay my hospital visit until the next day and now my stools are returning to the normal colour. So thanks to all the posters and next time Dr Google will be my second choice.

If you're able to self test and self manage - get a meter. If you need management help, get a meter - you can get help here. But it's important to know your INR so you can manage it.

It sounds like you've been over anticoagulated - your INR was far higher than it should have been. Who was managing your INR? How frequently was your blood tested? Other medications could possibly raise your INR, as could some foods (turmeric - the coloring in Mustard, for example).

It looks like your high INR (as evidenced by the 3.8 you reported) could have been the cause of your issues.

You really need to get control of your INR -- and you should test weekly - at home if you have a meter, at an anticoagulation clinic or doctor's office if you can convince them that you should test weekly.

And be aware that your INR can change over time - I've had to make many minor tweaks over the years, going from 7.5 (for a while) to 5 - and I expect to keep making changes when my INR makes a large enough change for me to be concerned.

Hi

glad you had a good resolution.

I read this:
and got my INR checked, it was 3.8
and wonder (passive voice makes me think you didn't just check it) if you have your own INR machine?

If not, I urge you to get one, its like being a diabetic and not bothering to measure your Blood Glucose.

As one who has the mechanical version of "prosthetic valve disease" I can say that all we have to do is manage our INR. Its pretty simple and the machine isn't that expensive. Surely you have some "toys" that cost you $500. A watch maybe?

If you get one and you want to get the best out of it, you need to not just measure, but also document. Its the data that you get that will help.

Best Wishes

I found a vendor who often has discounted meters -and seems to have a pretty good price (including strips) for the newest meter - the InRange. Although eBay has 'stopped' the listings of the CoaguChek XS meters, sometimes they'll miss one or two - you may be able to get a better price on eBay.

The vendor that I was referring to - and other have also mentioned - is the one where I now get my strips - Reliasaton.com. If you use the code 'savewithreliastion' they'll give you 10% off.

I don't work for Reliaston, nor do I get any commissions or kickback. Other than being a customer, I have no relationship with them that benefits me in any way. This is just a basic referral, if you don't already have a meter and are looking for a source.

IMHO, I agree with what others have said …

You’ve been taking too much Warfarin. You’re over-anticoagulated.

** This doesn’t mean that you should change your Warfarin dosage without assistance AND the knowledge of your doctors / clinic!! Always work with your doctor/clinic

You should consider measuring your INR yourself (in addition to the clinic INR measurements). This will help you catch high INR issues before your clinic does and allow you to hopefully have a hand in your health. If you do this, you’ll probably decrease or even stop these bleeding episodes.

FWIW, I’m checking my INR twice a week.

How often is your INR checked?
Who is checking your INR?
Who is managing your Warfarin?

Last Monday morning my stool was black. So l reduced my anticoagulant and got my INR checked, it was 3.8
I see that you live in France. What are the standards in France for INR maintenance? When are INRs measured? How are they measured? Do people normally use a medical lab? If so, do the labs use an INR meter such as the InRange, or does the lab use a blood draw into a test tube that is then processed?
Who within the medical system helps with management of INR? Family doctor? Cardiologist? Thanks!

I have a st. Jude valve since 2007 and have more that a fair share of bleeding episodes. First one was when I tripped walking up stairs. It took 5 weeks for the pain to subside. Second one. Nose bleed which lasted about 30 hours and was resolved after a visit to my local hospital. Third bleed. Hip replacement and it took about 2 weeks for that to resolve itself. Fourth bleed. Last Monday morning my stool was black. So l reduced my anticoagulant and got my INR checked, it was 3.8 and of course I checked with Dr. Google and decided to wait till Wednesday before a visit to the local A.E. Wednesday morning I packed my bag, just in case they decided to make me an inpatient. After reading Dr. Google I decided to look for a second opinion so I connected to Valve replacement.org and after reading everything that mentioned Black stools I decided to delay my hospital visit until the next day and now my stools are returning to the normal colour. So thanks to all the posters and next time Dr Google will be my second choice.
I also got my St. Jude valve in 2007. I self-tested at home
I have a st. Jude valve since 2007 and have more that a fair share of bleeding episodes. First one was when I tripped walking up stairs. It took 5 weeks for the pain to subside. Second one. Nose bleed which lasted about 30 hours and was resolved after aI visit to my local hospital. Third bleed. Hip replacement and it took about 2 weeks for that to resolve itself. Fourth bleed. Last Monday morning my stool was black. So l reduced my anticoagulant and got my INR checked, it was 3.8 and of course I checked with Dr. Google and decided to wait till Wednesday before a visit to the local A.E. Wednesday morning I packed my bag, just in case they decided to make me an inpatient. After reading Dr. Google I decided to look for a second opinion so I connected to Valve replacement.org and after reading everything that mentioned Black stools I decided to delay my hospital visit until the next day and now my stools are returning to the normal colour. So thanks to all the posters and next time Dr Google will be my second choice.

IMHO, I agree with what others have said …

You’ve been taking too much Warfarin. You’re over-anticoagulated.

** This doesn’t mean that you should change your Warfarin dosage without assistance AND the knowledge of your doctors / clinic!! Always work with your doctor/clinic

You should consider measuring your INR yourself (in addition to the clinic INR measurements). This will help you catch high INR issues before your clinic does and allow you to hopefully have a hand in your health. If you do this, you’ll probably decrease or even stop these bleeding episodes.

FWIW, I’m checking my INR twice a week.

How often is your INR checked?
Who is checking your INR?
Who is managing your Warfarin?
Very good questions, and for good measure, dark stool is blood and needs to be at the ER.

Reactions: 3mm
I found a vendor who often has discounted meters -and seems to have a pretty good price (including strips) for the newest meter - the InRange. Although eBay has 'stopped' the listings of the CoaguChek XS meters, sometimes they'll miss one or two - you may be able to get a better price on eBay.

The vendor that I was referring to - and other have also mentioned - is the one where I now get my strips - Reliasaton.com. If you use the code 'savewithreliastion' they'll give you 10% off.

I don't work for Reliaston, nor do I get any commissions or kickback. Other than being a customer, I have no relationship with them that benefits me in any way. This is just a basic referral, if you don't already have a meter and are looking for a source.
I tried to go to the website and it says website cannot be loaded. Is this available in the US?

I am in Iowa, USA.
Always wanted to get to there, never did

1726025489996.png

1726025568210.png

NCC - 1701

Latest posts

Back