7 days post op and home.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flattop1009

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I had my surgery on 8/27, mechanical valve installed and aortic aneurysm fixed. Nothing to eventful happened during my stay just went into affib the first night and after smooth sailing. Now I'm with just Tylenol and I tried sleeping in bed with no luck. So trying to get some rest in my recliner. Any words of advice I'll take.

Some advice: Use your respirometer. Take naps. If in pain take your painkillers. Walk - several small walks is better than a single longer one. Have a good balanced diet with plenty of fiber. Watch good TV - I went through the Ken Burns Civil War series and every Law and Order.

Welcome to the other side

Now I'm with just Tylenol and I tried sleeping in bed with no luck. So trying to get some rest in my recliner.

early days suck that's for sure
Any words of advice I'll take.

• walk as much as you can
  • sleep when you can
  • as Tom mentioned use the inspiriometer a few times a day till you've totally nailed it
  • eat all your meals (don't rush, don't pass up) and make sure you're eating well (no fast food crap)
  • follow the directions
  • don't miss your medications (get a pill box)
Best Wishes

Take it one day at a time. Do your walks, eat and rest.

I found binging tv helped pass the time, even if I couldn't remember what I watched lol

Welcome to the other side!

As others have said, walk, walk, walk. Of course, be sensible about it and don't push if uncomfortable.

And, yes, keep using the spirometer- really important to get those lungs fully opened back up and it takes some effort.

Please keep us posted how things progress.

I had my surgery on 8/27, mechanical valve installed and aortic aneurysm fixed. Nothing to eventful happened during my stay just went into affib the first night and after smooth sailing. Now I'm with just Tylenol and I tried sleeping in bed with no luck. So trying to get some rest in my recliner. Any words of advice I'll take.
Welcome to the post-op chapter in your journey, @flattop1009 ! Sleeping was challenging for the first 5-6 weeks for me too. I maxed out at 3 hours a night and just decided to go with the mantra, "this too shall pass." I was off work so there was nothing preventing me from taking a nap during the day, which I did every single day!

My advice echoes what others have said: do your breathwork every hour and walk once or twice a day - let your body be your guide. It feels like you're not doing much at all for the first couple of weeks (15 minutes felt like a marathon for me), but you are rebuilding your foundation. Tomorrow I will be 11 weeks post-op and I'm so grateful I did the exercise and breathwork religiously. I feel so good. Had a 20km bike ride on the weekend and it was pure magic! You've got this!!!

Latest posts

Back