.............57 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no reason to be proud of this. I did nothing to make it happen, aside from, perhaps, maintaining my INR level within range. I stayed alive and lasted long enough to reach 33 years. Aside from this, it was a passive thing. Perhaps if I had been St. Jude and made the damned valve, there would be pride attached - 'look. It lasted 33 years so far,' - but just staying alive with this thing working in my chest really, to me, doesn't count as something to effect my emotions - whether pride, guilt (because others with a similar valve couldn't make it to 33), or anything else. Perhaps gratitude figures in, because I wouldn't be here today without the valve (as if this was a good thing), but certainly not pride. It's undeserved.

I see no reason to be proud of this. I did nothing to make it happen, aside from, perhaps, maintaining my INR level within range. I stayed alive and lasted long enough to reach 33 years. Aside from this, it was a passive thing. Perhaps if I had been St. Jude and made the damned valve, there would be pride attached - 'look. It lasted 33 years so far,' - but just staying alive with this thing working in my chest really, to me, doesn't count as something to effect my emotions - whether pride, guilt (because others with a similar valve couldn't make it to 33), or anything else. Perhaps gratitude figures in, because I wouldn't be here today without the valve (as if this was a good thing), but certainly not pride. It's undeserved.
I’m on board with the gratitude.

I get what you’re saying. Look at it similar to people wishing you a happy birthday.
But, at the same time, it is a big deal for a valve to last 33 years.
I guess I could congratulated Abbott Labs, who owns St Jude, but I’d rather congratulate you and wish you well.

I’m on board with the gratitude.

I get what you’re saying. Look at it similar to people wishing you a happy birthday.
But, at the same time, it is a big deal for a valve to last 33 years.
I guess I could congratulated Abbott Labs, who owns St Jude, but I’d rather congratulate you and wish you well.
Yes. Happy birthday, happy anniversary, happy anything time related. I appreciate the congratulations, and your realization that I didn't do much to hit 33 years.

And I'm glad that the manufacturers of my valve and Dick's valve - and other prosthetic valves that keep on tickin' - have done such a good job of making valves that last a long time (or, at least, valves that lasted so long in our chests). (And, FWIW, if they had a 2% success rate for these valves, I'm glad to be in that 2%). Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that the people with prosthetic valves have usually died of other causes, rather than valve failure.

Last edited:
Yes. Happy birthday, happy anniversay, happy anything time related. I appreciate the congratulations, and your realization that I didn't do much to hit 33 years.

And I'm glad that the manufacturers of my valve and Dick's valve - and other prosthetic valves that keep on tickin' - have done such a good job of making valves that last a long time (or, at least, valves that lasted so long in our chests). (And, FWIW, if they had a 2% success rate for these valves, I'm glad to be in that 2%). Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that the people with prosthetic valves have usually died of other causes, rather than valve failure.
Don’t think of it so much as being proud of time passing. Think of it as proud of what you’ve been able to do with the time, which would not have been possible without this little hunk of carbon (or whatever material you’re blessed with).

There are several people that exist today that would not have existed without my valve lasting as long as it has. I’m grateful for them. I’m grateful for having them in my life. And I’m glad I’m alive to see them accomplish their dreams. Without my (coming up on) 34 years, they wouldn’t exist and I wouldn’t be here to see them even if by some miracle I had made it long enough to contribute my dna.

Fortunately, I'm pretty sure that the people with prosthetic valves have usually died of other causes, rather than valve failure.
The above statement is the reason I post my anniversary dates. Many, if not most, new valve patients feel their life will be cut short by heart disease. Stories like mine, yours and many, many others on this and other Forums give them some hope that OHS will add many years or decades to their lives. There are +/- 600 folks, from around the world, who visit this Forum each day and if we give them some assurance that this surgery can "fix" their problem for a long time, we will have done our job.

and if we give them
I like to also help them through the dark and uncertain period of getting used to warfarin. If I can reduce their duration of being in fear and if I can give them a sense of ownership / control, then that's a service I feel is valuable. Practical advice on how to do it.

Dick - I hear you. Presenting examples of how life can be extended after valve replacement can be helpful and encouraging to those who are candidates for this. It's a shame that the anecdotal evidence of your survival and, for fewer years, mine and others can help reduce those fears and offer hope.

It's just a shame that too few people know about this forum.

Don’t think of it so much as being proud of time passing. Think of it as proud of what you’ve been able to do with the time, which would not have been possible without this little hunk of carbon (or whatever material you’re blessed with).

There are several people that exist today that would not have existed without my valve lasting as long as it has. I’m grateful for them. I’m grateful for having them in my life. And I’m glad I’m alive to see them accomplish their dreams. Without my (coming up on) 34 years, they wouldn’t exist and I wouldn’t be here to see them even if by some miracle I had made it long enough to contribute my dna.
Superman:

Perhaps one of the things that might be a source of pride is the little bit of help I've given to those on this website - and others that I may occasionally run into who don't know enough about self testing or INR management (and I've met a few who could have used/didn't want guidance) -- and would benefit from this knowledge.

I didn't mean to hijack this thread - but I did.

Anyway - congratulations again, Dick. I'm happy for you.

Last edited:
I'm not proud of what I've done with that extra time. ... I haven't accomplished much of any value.
Protimenow - I cannot speak to the specifics of your past because I do not know you. Regarding your future, however, you are alive and mentally competent. You still have children and a wife. You still have the potential to POSITIVELY influence both your family and the world around you. Please focus on what you can do now and in the future!

Perhaps you can consider talking with someone such as a counselor, therapist, minister, etc? I am worried about you. PM me on this forum if you want to chat more!

I previously wrote some things that I've deleted.
These were too personal and autobiographical.

I appreciate what 3mm was trying to do.

He (or she) doesn't know my situation, so the assertions don't really apply.

In any case, I'll just stick to the title of the thread and not inject any of my own crap into it.

he him his they them

(We're now in an era where if you don't know a person's gender, this person becomes a 'them.' The use of a plural for one person is annoying to some/many of us, but I think we're stuck with it).

This AM 57 years ago I was being surgically prepped for a mechanical valve implanto_O. I still have that original mechanical valve:).

My surgeon told me the valve was tested to last 50 years and that should be enough time since life expectancy in 1967 was about 73 years......giving me about 8 years to spare, as I was then 31 . I thought he was just trying to make me feel good and I thought it would last no more than 20 years and was not aware that re-ops were possible. I am glad he was more right than me.....and really glad we were both wrong. I have now had that valve about 2/3 of my life and would make the same choice if I was 31 years old again.

1. Warfarin management is not a big deal.....especially since the INR system and home testing were introduced.
2. I eat just about anything I want.....except for snails and raw oysters....yuck!
3. At my current age(88) my activity level has declined, but, as a younger man I did what you would expect a younger man to do....both good and bad.
4. Most importantly, my mechanical valve has kept me off an operating table for re-ops or a slab in the morgue.

When I had the surgery there were very limited choices for valves....as I recall there was only one valve on the market so my valve choice was very easy to make. Today there are many choices (maybe too many), so choose intelligently, especially if you need the valve for "the long hall".
Congratulations, Dick!

Latest posts

Back