38/M - 5.5 weeks post AV/Root Replacment (Surgeon Selection, Recovery & Pericarditis)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi @jeffreycaulfield

My current energy levels are no different to pre-surgery as I was asymptomatic. The pericarditis pain has now eased, but the advice seems to minimise any strenuous activity for 1-3 months :(.

I was always a casual surfer at the best of times and given current circumstances (travel, winter & pericarditis) I haven't been in the water for the best part of 4 months. I definitely still had discomfort during my last surf but it has eased over the past 12 months. I did discuss it with my surgeon post-op and he said that it can be caused by a build up of scar tissue at the base of your sternum. Apparently you can have an operation to remove this scar tissue if it is significnatly affecting your comfort but I have not explored this further.

As others have saide - TAVR/TAVI is not possible with a mechanical valve.

Hey @acki46 ,

I hope you've recovered from your second pericarditis episode. How are you feeling now?

I've spent the last couple of months weighing up valve options and this thread has been a massive help in choosing a valve and easing the anxiety about what's to come. Thank you for this.

I've decided to go with a mechanical valve with the hope that it's a one and done scenario. The plan is to have the surgery mid november.

I'm either going to go with Dr. Jansz at St Vincent's or a surgeon in Ireland to be closer to family for the recovery.

I hope you don't mind answering a couple of final questions. I feel like our lifestyles are similar with regard to travel, hiking and casually surfing so you're answers have been really helpful for me.

- Did you have a full sternotomy or was Dr Mathur able to do a mechanical valve via a mini sternotomy?
- What type of mechanical valve did you choose and why? I'm considering either a On-X or St Jude

Thanks for all your help. I plan to do a similar post following my surgery to give back to this amazing community.

Do you have autoimmune issues? I've had recurrent pericarditis since my surgery in 1998. It's nothing like it was the first couple of years and I always feel it coming on, so I take colchicine and Aleve immediately, but they say it's an autoimmune issue, just like a few other things that I have.

Do you have autoimmune issues? I've had recurrent pericarditis since my surgery in 1998. It's nothing like it was the first couple of years and I always feel it coming on, so I take colchicine and Aleve immediately, but they say it's an autoimmune issue, just like a few other things that I have.

No autoimmune issues but thatā€™s interesting. It sounds like pericarditis is more common than I realised

Back