12 week update: Work in process

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjay

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Background: 55 yr old male. Always led active and healthy lifestyle, athletic, competitive sports (previously), recreational long-distance runner. First referred to AVR some 22 years ago (2002) when I was 33, but that’s a separate topic for another day :)
Valve anatomy changed overtime - originally regurgitation, then stenosis (so mixed). Preserved systolic function. Ejection Fraction (EF) 50-55% before/at surgery.
No symptoms prior to surgery, except my 1-hr runs started getting harder and slower for the last 2 years. More input, less output: From 7-7.5 miles to 6.5-7 miles, then barely 6 miles in 1-hr running. I classified myself as recreational runner (8-9 min/mile guy), not elite by any means :)

Surgery: July 23, 2024 - Bentall procedure (AVR with On-X mechanical valve, aortic root and ascending aorta). 200 mins on heart-lung bypass machine (valve too calcified, other issues encountered during surgery).

Lowlights:
  • Buy 1, Get 1 (got a stent): Felt great after surgery since I woke up in the ICU. No issues, felt invincible. As they were getting ready to discharge me on day 6-7, my surgeon ordered a CT scan. On CT, they saw a “pinch” or “kink” in my left main coronary artery (which happened when it was plugged-back into the newly replaced ascending aorta). They sent me back to heart catheterization/angiogram for confirmation, and put a stent upon confirmation.
That was a bummer of course. My cholesterol and lipid profile had always been text-book perfect. Before the surgery, they had done CT Angiogram multiple-times and all my coronary arteries were in a good shape, promised to last my lifetime. Especially the left main coronary was wide-wide open.​
Well, it happens, now move on. Finally discharged after 15 days.​
Note: In retrospect, if I didn’t have the complication of “pinched/kinked” left main coronary artery (which potentially led to other issues below as well), I would probably be in a much better shape post-op.
  • Go home, then come right back: A couple of days after discharge, I went from walking miles to not even able to move. My condition deteriorated significantly over that weekend and I went to ER Monday AM in a very bad shape. They found a large effusion around my heart. I was sent to heart catheterization lab again and they drained 1 liter of fluid around my heart. I felt good instantly but was kept in the hospital for another 7 days for effusion monitoring.
This large effusion was perhaps caused by too many drugs in my system especially blood thinners/anti-platelet/anti-coagulant (Plavix for stent, and Coumadin & Heparin for valve; Lasix dose not keeping up etc).​
  • AFib: A day after the effusion drainage (see above) while I was still in hospital, my heart went into AFib. Stayed in AFib for 2 days, and just when they were contemplating cardioversion, it went back to sinus rhythm on its own. No prior history of AFib, or any repeat since.
  • Long hospital stay: 22 days = 15 days (original AVR surgery + stent etc) + 7 days (effusion issue). Spending most of first 4-weeks at the hospital.
  • Echo (EF and Pericardial Effusion): I’m most disheartened by the drop of my EF post-surgery. Not sure what caused that. I had never been below 50-55% ever, including months before, and at the surgery itself (pre and post Cardiopulmonary bypass EF was 50-55%).
Because I was in the hospital for so long for other subsequent complications, they did echos many times (mainly for effusion tracking), and all were <40% (38-39%) EF. Surgeon’s office kept saying it would get better overtime …..​
Pericardial Effusion continued to be there, although dropped gradually.​
If anyone has similar experience with reduced EF after surgery, please share.
  • Covid: I picked up Covid during week#6 perhaps from someone at the lab where I went for INR tests, or at cardio rehab. 2-3 days of low-grade fever and cough, and 5-6 days of no cardiovascular activity or exercise.
Highlights:
  • Walk, jog, run: Despite my post-op issues and lengthier stay at the hospital, I was walking 1-mile at 1-week there, and then 3-4 miles/day (total of all 3 sessions of a given day) after 10-12 days. Nurses teased me if I was training for Olympics (since Paris Olympics was happening then) :)
At home, I went from walking -> brisk walking -> Incline walking -> Incline jogging -> Running. I made good use of home treadmill plus some sessions outdoors.​
Walk: At 1-month, I walked 10k (6.25 miles) on treadmill in 1:45:00​
Walk-Jog at incline: At 2-month, I could walk-jog (at 3.6 – 4.5+ mph) on incline (0-10 degree) on treadmill for 1-hr.​
Run: At 10-12 weeks, I can run >5 miles (5.x mph) in continuous 1-hr run. I did a 5k outdoors in 32:43 (10:26/mile pace)​
Mind you, none of this is fun. It doesn’t feel easy at all. It’s a struggle but very satisfying. It’s much harder than it used to be before surgery.
    • MHR (Maximum Heart Rate)/RHR (Resting Heart Rate): As I started incline jogging or flat running, I was able to maintain average HR of ~145-150 BPM (~85-90% MHR) with peak hitting close to MHR. Just as I did that, interestingly my RHR also dropped significantly (by 20 BPM to 60-65 BPM) within 10 beats of my pre-surgery RHR (50-55 BPM). In my case, MHR (theoretical) = 220 – age = 220 – 55 = 165
    • VO2 max: My pre-surgery VO2 max was 46 as per Garmin watch, and is now at 43 post-surgery.
    • Body weight: Right after surgery, gained ~10lbs (fluid retention), but lost all that while still in hospital (thanks to Lasix). Then after most of 1st month at hospital with no appetite, I dropped another 10 lbs (muscle mass etc). Now I’m back to where I was before surgery (156-158 lbs).
  • Echo: My most recent echo after 11-weeks post-op at my 1st cardiologist appointment showed somewhat improved EF of 45%. Some relief. The pericardial effusion is minimal/trace so that’s better too. A couple of other lingering attributes which time will resolve hopefully.
  • Life returning to normal: I officially started working after 7 weeks and have been traveling soon after (work involves travel). Life is largely back to normal, what more to ask for :)
I would like to thank this wonderful community for its tremendous support, experience and wisdom, and overall attitude to help others during the most challenging times.

Last edited:
Life returning to normal: I officially started working after 7 weeks and have been traveling soon after (work involves travel). Life is largely back to normal, what more to ask for :)
Glad things are working out for you. It sounds as tho you have taken an around about way to get to "normal". I hope you have smoother sailing now

A somewhat similar story about the stents. I previously had two valve surgeries but had to have another due to a 6.5 cm aneurysm. My surgery went OK and I was discharged in about 1 week. But about 6 months later I started to have angina symptoms which I had never had. My right coronary artery was "too short" to reconnect and they had taken some saphenous vein to extend it and reconnect to the new aorta. It too had "kinked" with a 90 degree bend due to scarring. Due to this the lumen was narrowed and led to the angina. I had three stents placed to "straighten it out". Couldn't take Plavix since I had a pretty severe allergic reaction to it. So I used an older antiplatelet drug along with the warfarin for my St. Jude valve. Amazingly the angina went away but not too long after it started up again. So back to the cath lab for three more stents placed within the initial stents. Got better. Then perhaps six months later got angina again. Back to the lab for this time two more stents placed within the previous stents. During the procedure I was awoken and told they could not fix it because it appeared to be already closed. I told the cardiologist to try harder and I said I don't care if you kill me. He did and found a way to open things up.
Now about 14 yrs later it is open and no angina. I only took the antiplatelet drug for perhaps 6 months after the last procedure. Just on warfarin now.

• Wow
Reactions: V__
Ejection Fraction (EF) 50-55% before/at surgery.
Because I was in the hospital for so long for other subsequent complications, they did echos many times (mainly for effusion tracking), and all were <40% (38-39%) EF. Surgeon’s office kept saying it would get better overtime …..​
Pericardial Effusion continued to be there, although dropped gradually.​
If anyone has similar experience with reduced EF after surgery, please share.
Thanks for sharing. Really glad things worked out (and that outgoing CT was ordered before the discharge!) - seems like this was a complicated case.

Regarding reduced EF:
  • IIRC, mine was not very reduced. However, I had a different surgery type (MVr). And the surgeon actually warned me ahead of time that EF might get smaller. This is a bit artificial though. With regurgitation, it's easier for the heart to contract, since some blood just goes back (in the low-pressure cavity, instead of being pushed in the high-pressure system). So when the valve is repaired/replaced and the regurgitation is removed the heart has to work harder and EF looks lower.
  • I did find an article (for MV) where the evolution of EF was studied. Statistically, the improvements were still happening at 1 year mark, although they were going progressively smaller by that time. Would imagine that similar things are happening for AV.
  • I know a case with a reduced EF for about a hear after AVR. From memory, it was something like 40-45%. The patient was young and fit, but it was a 2nd surgery. I guess these things do happen. He got much better.

If you don't mind me asking, which hospital did you use? (It's purely a curiosity, no problem if you don't want to mention it.)

Back