wish me luck!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

Simon Gee

I'm sorry to bore you all, but I just had to share my news with you. I've got a place in next year's London Marathon, and it's all because of my AVR. I took part in the event last year, six months after my op, and said 'never again - it's unnatural!' I had to walk a fair bit of the way, but I was so proud to have completed the course, and I raised £1700 ($2600) for a British Heart charity, so I thought I could put the marathon experince behind me.

But time does funny things to the mind! I imagine it's like childbirth in that you forget the pain after a while, and I've been brooding on whether I could run another marathon and manage to keep running the whole course, beat my time of 5½ hours - the male competitive streak. I haven't even run much since last April as I damaged my knee and took a long time to get it sorted. But I still sent off an entry in the summer, confident that I would not get through the ballot and actually get a place. But I have, and now I don't know whether to laugh or cry!!!

So wish me luck as I set off down the road to fitness again. All those lonely winter evenings and weekend mornings when I'll be staggering around our village, my face as red as a beetroot - at least I provide a bit of light entertainment for the village teenagers as they hurl abuse after my puffing figure! I'll use this opportunity to raise funds for another heart-related charity, probably the British Heart Foundation as they put so much into research over here, unless any of you have a better idea?

Simon (aka puffing billy)

Well alrighty then, Puffing Billy.

God speed and enjoy yourself. Don't let the "fit" crowd drag you down. You know where you've been, they don't! Even if you walked the whole race, it's the charity that counts and the physical fitness that makes it what it is. I'm sure some see it as physical torture. ;)

Wow, Simon - this is big news. I remember that other one. Now you are doing it again. Bless your heart. Wish you the very best and you could just invite those kids to traipse with you. Would do them some good! God bless

GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON, GO SIMON!!!!!Good luck with every stride!
Evelyn

Good luck Simon. This site is a group of "winners" so I know you'll do well. But the most important things is you have won your own private race. It doesn't matter if you walk or run, as long as you get there.

AtaBoy Simon

As we all have ran our own races to get to where we are it's great to hear of one going to the next level.

Way to go.

Simon,
This is great news, and an inspiration to me to "get after it" for the Oklahoma City Marathon next April. I too have had setbacks like A-Fib, leaking and news of an aneurysm but like I've stated before..."It's better to wear out than rust out." Please PM me if you'd like on training progress, etc. Should I get the docs' blessing to go for another marathon, we can compare and share the trials and pains... Also, like others have stated, your assistance with the British Heart Charity is admirable, to say the least. Go for it and keep running...there's still road left.

Simon

Thats great news, I am sure you will do well

I will look out for you on the TV, so make sure you wear something noticable so we can identify you, in the thousands who take part.

Seriously though Simon, I think you are very brave as 26 miles sure is a long way to run/walk

If you let me have details I will sponsor you

Good luck with the training

Jan

Congratulations, Simon!

Congratulations, Simon!

Congratulations, Simon! You and Les Barrett are my personal heroes. I'm hoping to do my first half-ironman next summer, and first marathon next fall. I'm an awful runner (shuffler, actually). 45% EF certainly doesn't help, but it doesn't seem to stop me either.

Best wishes on beating that PR of 5:25 --- let us know how you do!

Back