Two Weeks Ago Today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richie Rich

So it’s two weeks ago today since I had my bicuspid aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve. I have to say that the whole thing went much better than I expected and I feel that I’m recovering quite well so far.
Unfortunately I developed atrial fibrillation not long after surgery and had to spend a few extra days in intensive care and was then transferred to a high dependency unit to continue to monitor and treat the condition. The afib is now under control although I’m on medication to keep on top of it.
Two days after surgery chest drains and catheter were removed which wasn’t pleasant but I was then able to move around the ward a little although I had to wheel the stand around with me which housed drips containing medications. Due to the afib I was connected up to a heart monitor right up until discharge which was nine days after surgery, annoying but necessary.
I have to say I was terrified before the op, but it wasn’t anywhere near as bad as I expected. The pain was bad but manageable and the morphine worked a treat, although I was glad to wean off it a couple of days before being discharged, I’m only taking paracetamol now and the pain isn’t too bad.
Since discharge I have been taking a couple of short walks a day and plan to slowly increase these to improve my fitness. My INR target is 2.5 with a range of 2-3 which so far I’ve been in range. My plan is to self test which the anticoagulation nurse is happy with, but she wants me to come in to test for the first few weeks just to make sure I’m stable. Apart from a little tiredness and some discomfort in my chest I don’t really feel like I’ve had open heart surgery two weeks ago. A big thanks to the NHS and all the hospital staff who looked after me so well.
If anyone is waiting for this surgery I would just like to say don’t worry, even with minor complications it is nowhere near as bad as you imagine.
Also Thanks for all the advice I’ve had on here over the years. Richie.

Latest posts

Back