Travel

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tom Harrison

I'm a new member and new to heart issues. Recently underwent surgery to replace my aortic valve with a mechanical and to an aortic stem repair. Now at home, feeling better all the time, and getting used to the noise of the valve and coumadin. I am hoping to be able to do some travelling in future and wonder how others have managed. Perhaps I'm being over cautious but wonder if there are problems with INR levels and monitoring? If infection is a concern are there destinations that should be avoided? Are there any concerns re flying?

Happy Belated B'Day

Happy Belated B'Day

Hi Tom,

Good questions! I don't have answers but will look foward to them from this very expert group!

Sorry your birthday was missed...I hope it
was GREAT!

Joan

Hey You two

Hey You two

Just hang in there and the ones with the answers will be here soon. I would like to know the answer also, I hope to make a small trip this summer. So we should know something soon.

Caroline
09-13-01
Aprtic valve replacement
St Jude valve

Hi Tom,

I had AVR and take Coumadin. I also travel often. I have not had any troubles when I travel. Prior to obtaining my own home testing unit for my INR, I would have my INR checked just prior to my trip. I would try to stay on a my regular routine when traveling, and then upon return, have my level checked again. Once while away for an extended period, I felt that my levels might be too high, so I went to the local ER, and told them I was a heart patient, they took me right in, contacted my doctor, so that he could fax them the orders to test, and then they ran my INR check. They called the results into my doctor, and he contacted me within 4 hours.

You may want to ask your doctor for an order to check your INR that you can take with you. You may also ask him to include on there, that they provide both you and your doctor with the results. This may save time.

I flew from Nashville to Maui just 10 weeks after surgery, and stayed there for 2 weeks. No problems.

Now that I have my own home testing unit. I take ith with me if I am going to be out of town for more than a week at a time.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Tom, I have a mechanical and a graft installed in May 2000. I fly to Europe and South America on a regular basis. I have had no problems.

Hi Tom

Take that vacation!

Self testing makes traveling much easier. I take off whenever the opportunity presents itself. Flying is an non issue really. If you are on a long flight, make sure you get up out of your seat now and then.

Prior to obtaining my Coaguchek..... I would get an order from the doctor and go to the nearest hospital lab if need be.

Agree with Janie about 'third world countries'. Janie, how do you feel about Mexico? Thinking about going to Huatulco and collapsing sometime after I have unpacked the house. I hear the hotels are safe as far as food and water consumption? I am concerned about the 'revenge'. Can't be a be a good thing for us Coumarians. Can you immagine what that would do to ones level, Yikes.

Thanks for all the replys!! Janie you mentioned third world countries, have to travelled to any or avoided them altogether?? Dick you mentioned South America, no problems there ?? Ross I bookmarked that site. Gina, Mexico was one place I wondered about because there are several direct flights out of Winnipeg (and few other direct flight warm weather destinations) Ross I guess I'll look into self testing after awhile.

I travel fairly frequently on business (just back from London last week). No problems at all. I just make certain that I've got my Coumadin, my St. Jude ID card and my MedicAlert bracelet.

My cardiologist also gave me a copy of my EKG printout to carry with me. I have an inverted T wave, and my cardiologist noted on the printout that this was my "normal" pattern. He thought it might make things easier to explain to any EMT's or ER Dr's if the need arose when I was out of town. Good idea I thought. I carry a laminated copy in my briefcase all the time.

Happy travels...
Mark

Travel

Joann and I have been in 48 of the 50 states, most of Canada, and South as far as Barbados. (All with 2 mechanical valves). We do not do home testing, but have no problem with test on the road and results faxed to local doctor.

WE fly, WE RV, We cruise. We run when Joann feels good; we rest when Joann gets tired.

Big appointment at CCF on Monday to further evaluate the Vascular Disease. This is now a bigger issue than the valves.

Living and Clicking in Western Ohio!

Back