Things

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Z

Zazzy

Hey all!
I know I have been bad at posting lately.... been really busy with things.

I have had my first and second fillings for my reconstruction... it is a little sore for a couple of days but then eases. I asked the doc for "SUPER" this time when he filled 'er up!... hee hee.

I am now a full-fledged volunteer for the American Cancer Society Reach to Recovery. I willl counsel women who are diagnosed with breast cancer so they won't have to go through it alone. I am trying to get some other things going for the ACS here in our town. Hey... it keeps me off the streets!

Have to do a big blood test Nov. 5.... four or five vials of blood. I imagine that will leave me feeling a bit drained ROFLMAO!!!

Later!

Zazzy

Good for you on the volunteering. It's great to hear from you, Zazzy.

I love the Thomas Jefferson quote. How fitting.
Kev

I love to see you popping in from time to time. and I'm so happy for you having come through so much in such good shape. You're a very inspiring person. You'll be a super-duper (no pun intended) volunteer.

There is nobody who can hold another's hand more comfortably than you, My Dear. Congratulations on your great fillings!

What blood test are you doing? The cancer one? Is it due again? We will anxiously await your results. Shucks, if you had this done Oct 31, you could trick or treat as a vampire victim.:D

Last edited:
Zazzy

Zazzy

Have you chatted with Faye Lewis, one of our new memebers from Flier, Idaho?.Hope you are doing well. Keep up the good work. Bonnie

Hey Ann,
The blood test is called a PCR (polymerase chain reaction) and will examine my chromosomes for any of the bad boys. At least it isn't painful as opposed to having a bone marrow aspiration and darn it, the test will be done Nov. 5 after Halloween, so guess I will just have to not comb my hair for a costume! That ought to scare the little tricksters! ROFLMAO!!!!

Having a wee bit of trouble with my recent dental work... think I may have gotten a tiny infection. As usual, this didn't really start bothering me until last night, after clinic hours.

Flier, Idaho huh? I'll have to get out my map for that one! Welcome Faye!!!! Nice to meet another Idahoan here!

Take care,
Zazz

Zazzy - Good to hear from you. I can't always read all the postings, but I try to read yours always. The reason isn't the great entertainment value, however I would note that always helps. Anyway, it wasn't too long ago when you hit the hard times, now your helping others get through them. You are one of the really super people I know. Keep up your terrific attitude and pass it along to all those friends you are likely to make.

Zazzy,

Before becoming a member, I was often a guest on this site. Your courage is awesome! You are truly an inspiration to us all!

My sister developed stage 4 Hodgkins Disease in 1982 at age 24. She was diagnosed 2 weeks after giving birth to her first child. She had symptoms during her pregnancy, but she thought they were just symptoms that went along with pregnancy. (night sweats, itching) She went through intense chemo and was told it would leave her sterile. Her second baby, a daughter, arrived two years after she completed chemo! In 1988, the Hodgkins returned and she was again treated and went into remisson. In 1992, she was diagnosed with leukemia. She was told that in order to beat the cancer this time, she would need a bone marrow transplant. She was unable to find a perfect match and the doctors would not consider a "close" match. Of the four siblings she had, none of us were perfect matches. With a survival chance of 1-2%, she underwent intense chem again and this August, celebrated her 44th birthday and ten years of being cancer free!

You cancer survivors are amazing! Your view of life is uplifting to us all. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Hi Kim,
Glad to hear that your sis is doing okay. What kind of leuk does she have?

None of my sisters were close enough a match for me either... which became a moot point as my cardio was against a BMT at the time. Did she check out the national registry? I now can go on endlessly to folks about being bone marrow donors! Just being an organ donor won't do it... you must go to your local blood bank and tell them that you would like to become a donor. The chances that you would ever be picked are slim... but it could make a difference in someone's life if you do prove to be a match.

I didn't have to go through chemo or radiation and I am very thankful for that. I did go through four months on Interferon therapy that left me drained and needing a platelet transfusion.

I am in remission now from chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) with the help of the wonderful new drug, Gleevec. I have decided that if I do relapse I would go for a BMT (bone marrow transplant) even though the risk of graft versus host disease is great...(that is that 1-2% you were talking about I believe). I am luck enough to be near the Fred Hutchison Cancer Clinic in Seattle... one of the best (if not THE BEST) transplant centers in the nation.

Glad to hear about your sis's second baby!!!

Take care,
Zazzy

Zazzy,

I have no idea what kind of leukemia my sister had. Unlike me, she never wanted a bunch of info or details. She would just go with the flow!

Yes, she was on the national registery, but no match was located.

I'll keep you in my prayers for your continued good health!

Back