TAVR in the works

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caroline

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi there. I'm an 83 year old facing my first adventure with heart disease. Aortic Valve replacement at Stanford happening soon. Post echo urgent referral to Cardiology for consultation. Told I was probably a good candidate for TAVR. Looking for information prior to Friday consultation. Appreciate what I've learned from the Forums so far. Thanks everyone for helping us newbies learn this new world.

Greetings Caroline and a big welcome to the forum. 😊
I don't have any specific TAVR experience to relate, but I'm sure others may chip in with some information.

In the meantime, wishing you all the very best for your Friday consultation.

Hi
Hi there. I'm an 83 year old facing my first adventure with heart disease.
welcome aboard ... OHS at 83 would be really a risky thing, I hope that you are a candidate for TAVR. From what little I know that's likely to give you a valve that's good till 90.

Have you had a blood test for Lp(a)?

https://heart.bmj.com/content/110/4/299

Conclusions High serum Lp(a) is associated with bAV degeneration. Prospective studies are needed to confirm these findings and to investigate whether lowering Lp(a) levels could slow bioprostheses degradation.​

Also, do consider discussing the use of warfarin with your valve (even though its not "required"), it would seem there is evidence to support that giving an increased duration to bioprosthetic vavles (which of course the TAVR are).

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/838221

That has an audio, which plays fine on Android (phone) but not (it appears) on iPhone ...

I believe this link may play properly
https://bi.medscape.com/pi/editorial/studio/audio/2015/core/838221.mp3

its a great detailed presentation.

HTH

Welcome to the forum Caroline.

Told I was probably a good candidate for TAVR
That is great!. At age 83 that is a very reasonable choice for you in order to avoid OHS.

We have a member about your age who just had TAVR/TAVI procedure back in May of this year. You might reach out to @SiestaKeyJimmy to see how that went for him and to see if he has any suggestions.

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of good info in the archives if you want to spend some time searching.

Some of the most frequent advice is some variation of:

1) Seek out the very best Cardiologist and Surgeon that you can. I am guessing that Stanford is a great place to start. There is not much, if anything, that the top notch people have not seen and they have a game plan for any surprises.
2) Focusing on attitude and emotions is very, very important.
3) Having a postop caregiver and comfortable facilities (e.g. adjustable bed or recliner, no need to climb stairs for a while, easy access to the bathroom, etc.) lined up really helps with those first few weeks after the procedure.
4) The odds are usually very much in our favor as the success rate is very high unless there are compelling complications. Being elderly does not necessarily hurt our chances.
5) A successful valve replacement is an extended lease on life and is terrific when compared to the alternative.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a complete and rapid recovery.

HTH

I don’t have personal experience with a TAVR, but I’m in the process of finding out if a TMVR is doable for me.
I sit next to a clarinetist who had a TAVR at age 80. He came back to rehearsal within 2 weeks and is doing well. He and his wife just took a trip with a granddaughter to Amsterdam.
All the best for your procedure!

Welcome to the forum!

For background I am a physical therapist in a hospital on the floor where we treat all pre and post-op cardiothoracic surgery patients. I have seen quite a few TAVR's of all ages ranging from as soon as they get of bedrest to a few days out of surgery. Most are up and walking and feel much better instantly after surgery. Many go home the following-day barring any complications which are rare.

If your surgeon thinks you are a good candidate for the procedure, I think you'll do just fine! Good luck with your consultation and keep us posted :)

I am following too-my 83 yr old mom is getting a surgeons appointment for this same procedure. She has developed aortic stenosis.... Good luck Caroline please keep us posted!

Latest posts

Back