Sprinting?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeskillet

Inasmuch as I’m now attempting to navigate severe aortic valve regurgitation I’m curious about what types of exercises might help strengthen my heart (?).

Of course, I realize that in my own personal case nothing can replace actually having the valve itself replaced (assuming I survive the procedure)—but I’m just wondering if there’s anything I can do pre-operatively that might help (in moderation of course). I realize this is something I should likely discuss with my cardio (which I fully intend to do during our next visit) but just wanted to get your input as well.

I keep reading about the benefits of sprinting & HIIT training but thought I might “ask the experts” what exercises may have helped your heart feel stronger, better, less shortness of breath, etc. I’ve always been an avid weightlifter—but I also understand that that’s *THE* very thing I need to use caution with, esp. right now.

Any suggestions and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Im not an expert but light cardio would be my suggestion based on my own personal experience. Elliptical, treadmill, bike, walking etc. Listen to your body along the way. I would have a blood pressure drop about 8-12 minutes into an elliptical exercise at only 6.0 METS. I would slow down for a minute or so and then proceed to complete 20 minutes then jump over the bike for another 20 minutes. I had to laugh, my second opinion surgeon recommended that I start walking at least a mile a day. Then I informed them of my level of exercise and activity.

My stress test demonstrated the drop in bloop pressure but no damage to the heart walls outside of slight left ventricle hypertrophy which I have carried for years. Good luck.

When is the surgery?

Im not an expert but light cardio would be my suggestion based on my own personal experience. Elliptical, treadmill, bike, walking etc. Listen to your body along the way. I would have a blood pressure drop about 8-12 minutes into an elliptical exercise at only 6.0 METS. I would slow down for a minute or so and then proceed to complete 20 minutes then jump over the bike for another 20 minutes. I had to laugh, my second opinion surgeon recommended that I start walking at least a mile a day. Then I informed them of my level of exercise and activity.

My stress test demonstrated the drop in bloop pressure but no damage to the heart walls outside of slight left ventricle hypertrophy which I have carried for years. Good luck.

When is the surgery?
I’m not scheduled yet for surgery but have a TEE on July 16th—at which point I fully expect them to refer me to surgery ASAP. I’ve “been there & done that” 3x’s now and that’s always what’s happened thus far.

However, I absolutely despise the idea of just sitting around continuing to go downhill for lack of energy so I’m just trying to figure out if there’s any specific exercises I can do besides weightlifting that might assist with helping me feel better all around.

I’m thinking that bicycling might be the way to go, but, again, just wanted to get some feedback from this forum.

IMHO, if things are severe, I would suggest walking. Just walk. Walk 2-4 miles a day. Get at least 10,000 steps every day. If you want to do weights, keep it light and keep it slow. Don’t let your heart compensate too much for the bad valve. You don’t want your heart to model off of the bad valve. JMHO

Walking should be useful. It is cardio that's easy to moderate to an acceptable degree for your level of fitness, and it can help re-habituate yourself to the post-op recovery process.

Now, almost 2 years post-op, I still walk daily (for many reasons). As the fitness level improved, I added hand weights for an extra "boost".

Inasmuch as I’m now attempting to navigate severe aortic valve regurgitation I’m curious about what types of exercises might help strengthen my heart (?).

Of course, I realize that in my own personal case nothing can replace actually having the valve itself replaced (assuming I survive the procedure)—but I’m just wondering if there’s anything I can do pre-operatively that might help (in moderation of course). I realize this is something I should likely discuss with my cardio (which I fully intend to do during our next visit) but just wanted to get your input as well.

I keep reading about the benefits of sprinting & HIIT training but thought I might “ask the experts” what exercises may have helped your heart feel stronger, better, less shortness of breath, etc. I’ve always been an avid weightlifter—but I also understand that that’s *THE* very thing I need to use caution with, esp. right now.

Any suggestions and/or experiences would be greatly appreciated!
I started a HIIT routine after being diagnosed with severe AS and severe AR a few years ago. I believe it has been incredibly beneficial, no negative side effects.

I was asymptomatic before beginning the routine however, having scored 11 METS on my initial stress test (coming from a completely sedentary lifestyle). I also began light/medium weightlifting around the same time, again no negative effects. In addition no Cardiologist I've spoken to has attempted to discourage me from either of these things, just warning against excessive isometric exercise.

Appreciate the input greatly.

For those who may not know, HIIT stands for High Intensity Interval Training.

From what everyone is saying it seems that an all-inclusive approach (e.g., light walking, weightlifting & perhaps some biking) makes the most sense.

I do know that after my last (nightmare) OHS the stair master was instrumental in rehabbing…but man o’ man do I *LOATHE* that thing🥴😡!

Again, I’ll definitely be talking to my cardiologist about this sometime next week, but, as always, y’all make a lot of sense. There’s just something about hearing from someone else that which you intuitively sense for confirmation.

Latest posts

Back