So shellfish !?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your theories on this but the question is still posed ? It cant have anything to do with quota, it can only be related to quality surely ? But how can one tast different to another ?
ChouDoufu (what does that mean?) I have absolutely no idea what that post means ?

If there are more harvested in Canada than Maine surely that wouldn't effect the price ?

Why not? :confused: Economics 101.....the law of supply. The greater the supply, the more downward pressure on prices. Lobsters are a perishable commodity so the Canadian fishery wouldn't want them kept in inventory too long. Canada has a much smaller population than the U.S. and therefore perhaps less domestic demand, which might mean more reliance on exports. The lobster species off the coast of the Atlantic Provinces and the New England States is the same. I've eaten from both regions often and have found no real difference so I don't believe product quality is the differentiating factor. I suspect the reasons for the price difference are largely economic/financial/regulatory/trade related....differences in trade tarrifs, export quotas, currency exchange, taxes, government subsidies, domestic vs. export demand, etc. Just a theory with no basis in fact, other than world trade has many examples of pricing inconsistencies. For example, a bottle of Canadian Club Whiskey, distilled in Windsor Ontario which is located on the U.S.-Canada border, and exported to the U.S., costs 50% less to buy in Detroit Michigan just across the river than in Windsor :mad: . Go figure.

I think that Canada has more Lobster Farms so they aren't considered "wild". You see wild salmon prices higher than farmed, I would assume Lobsters would be no different. The real question is do they TASTE different ?

ok....I put my claw in my mouth I guess, I just did a bit of googling and it seems that lobster farming still isn't commercially viable. But what I did find is that Canada harvests 5 times as many lobsters as the US. All that coastline above Maine has the densest lobster population in North America, primarily due to the colder water. So the Eco 101 theory sounds like its on the mark.

Lobster Farms??? Bite your tongue!

what? you got lobster ranches? with free-range crustaceans?

i suppose ya gots lobster-boys wearing thongs and stetsons
herding thousands of lobsters to market?

"Economics 101.....the law of supply. The greater the supply, the more downward pressure on prices." Thanks Wayne, I fully understand basic economics but I dont think this is the case ? A lobster is a lobster ? Were this the case then the Maine industry would have folded years ago, it must be down to quality ? If you were to buy Lobster in a bun you'd probably be given, whether you know it not, Canadian Lobster, but if you went for a more A la carte dish you'd be more than likely given the more prized Maine lobster ?? I just dont get it ...
Farmed Salmon is of course cheaper because it's nowhere near as nice as hunted Salmon but to my knowledge there's no farmed lobsters ?

Justin, now don't become a lobster snob! ;)
New Brunswick lobster is shipped across Canada, and many of us eagerly await the start of the season in late Spring.
There are the smaller "canners" which are more readily available and I can eat a ton of those.
And then there is a very nice mid-size lobster which is not so much "work" to eat fresh from the shell. These ones cost more.

I'm with Wayne on this one, I think supply and demand are driving prices. Lobsters from that part of the world are known as American lobster, Homarus americanus and it appears that their numbers are rising (high supply) in the northern part of the US and therefore closer and in Canada but are declining in the southern part of New England, away from Canada. So Canada, darn them, may just have more lobsters than us.
Status of Fishery Resources off the Northeastern US
FishWatch US Seafood facts

But there are also differences in how each country manages their resource and that may also affect the number of lobsters harvested by each country and whether there are higher harvest costs in the US. Finding that out would require a little more research. US lobsters are regulated by the U.S. National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS). I am not sure which agency manages lobster in Canada.

Fishery management discussions on a heart forum? Who would have thought that would ever occur. Nowhere but on VR.com!

Woodbutcher, are you a commercial fisherman?

John

When my mother-in-law was growing up in New Brunswick, lobster was the poor man's food - and they got bored with eating it. Now it isn't much cheaper to buy in New Brinswick than it is in Ontario!

Dale

My sister used to live in Moncton, New Brunswick....we could have lobster for lunch any day of the week.
Kind of like living out in Alberta....where prime Beef is a daily food staple for many.
Okay, now I'm real hungry again.

Ok, here's my second guess. Remember the mottos, "American made, American proud." and "Always look for the Union label." It's been drilled in our heads that things made in America are best. Americans have pretty big egos, and very few things truly come from America anymore, so when we find something good that does, people will pay a premium for it. Also some people will buy it because they believe that the more you pay for something, the better it is.

Congratulations Lisa !!! I'd dont actually know the reason myself but that sounds like it could be the one !?
Lionheart, no I'm not a commercial fisherman, some members of my family are though because I'm from Cornwall, which is a peninsular stretching west into the Atlantic.
I do have a fishing boat though and a couple of pots (traps) which I catch my own Cornish lobsters with, which of course are the best in the world (Sorry Bina) !

OK Woodbutcher....my wife and I will be in Salisbury this summer for her folks 50th anniversary. If we can just get Bina to ship a few lobsters over we can knock back a couple of pints and compare your Cornish to her Canadians.

Back