Question for US members about legal support for getting home if disabling stroke occurs after TAVar or SAVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Truth. And 24/7 home care requires hiring 5 people. If you simply can’t get to the bathroom unassisted — 24/7 care. In-home care beyond a little homemaking is an extreme luxury item. Using family caregivers is rough too — both my FIL and BIL had heart attacks from trying to care for my MIL 24/7. It’s very eye opening to go through.

My mother had Multiple Sclerosis and my father did all her care. She was mostly immobile. She could sit in a wheelchair for an hour without it wiping her out for the rest of the day, but going out to meals left her exhausted. He lifted her in and out of bed, in and out of the wheelchair. Luckily his health was/is excellent, and he wouldn't have had it any other way. He did have home help, a woman who came in and did laundry and would wash my mom's hair when she came in, but he did basically everything. I understand that for some that is too much. My mom passed two years ago and my father is remarried to a younger woman (he is in his 70s and I think she is just under 70, LOL). He's going a bit crazy with travel and doing fun stuff. He had to forego a lot of that for a long time and he deserves this. Most people would look at my dad and think he's in his 50's. Hopefully I got more of his genes for remaining healthy into my older years.

It probably has something to do with the illness the person has. While my mom wasn't all there mentally at the end, she got a bit confused at times, for most of the years he cared for her she was completely lucid, just unable to do most things. I can imagine caring for someone with Alzheimer's could be a lot tougher, especially emotionally.

I can imagine caring for someone with Alzheimer's could be a lot tougher, especially emotionally.
agreed ... and putting my mother into care was logically the best thing to have done (as I could not hold down a job and care for her anywhere near as well as a rostered shift of tag team professionals.

Having said that I would always feel a bit guilty, but know that I couldn't have done it without being wound up by her.

agreed ... and putting my mother into care was logically the best thing to have done (as I could not hold down a job and care for her anywhere near as well as a rostered shift of tag team professionals.

Having said that I would always feel a bit guilty, but know that I couldn't have done it without being wound up by her.
Alzheimer's is a monster unto itself. To have everything that you are slowly eaten away..... It is a nightmare.

Why do I need a psychiatric advance directive? I don't have a mental health issue and don't show any signs of Alzheimer's? I am not about to get committed to a psychiatric facility, I am about to have heart surgery.
Because you should go ahead and get it while you're getting the others. They're all good until you say they're not. If you don't have it if you ever need it, your family will have to go to court to get guardianship or you will become a ward of the state.

Back