OK I've gotta vent a little

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

After Joe's recent diagnosis of cardiac cirrhosis, his primary wants him to see the gastro guys to follow things. He had a wonderful gastro man who he liked a lot, and is now retiring. He's apparently sold his practice, or at least incorporated several new young guys who seem to have BIG BUCKS in their eyes.

All the gastro guys around here are swamped because there are new directives that are saying that EVERYONE should have colonoscopies after 50 to rule out cancer.

I tried today to find out where the office is located and I got a remote office with a telephone limbo system attached. No human being at the other end of the line. I had to pretend to have a rotary phone to get to talk to someone, after listening to a 10 minute scenario of various menu options. When I finally connected to someone, I complained big time. She agreed with me and was sympathetic, but what could she do about it. She said the doctors were well aware of the problems the phone system was causing. She gave me another number to call to try to locate this doctor. I called there and got yet another limbo system. Pulled my rotary phone deal and finally got a gal who told me that the doctor we were going to see was at yet another office, and I asked for the number there and was told that he had a phone only for calling out, that no patients could contact that office.

What think you all of that??? I'm not sure that Joe should be seen by someone who is that elusive. The menu states that if you're having a medical problem to go to the ER. There's no one to call with questions.

Is this what is happening everywhere with the medical profession? The insurance companies should love that. ER visits are not cheap!

Hi Nancy,

It seems to be more and more difficult to talk to a person these days. I do the same rotary phone thing . An automated system is of no use to you . You need to talk to people. It is just not the medical profession but all businesses have the same thing. You can be stuck out there in no man's land and never be able to reach who you need to talk to. It is terrible and frustrating but when you have a medical situation it is even worse to deal with. I think the medical profession should have someone available to talk to you when you call. Costs seem to be the Big problem.

I don't think we have a chance of fixing this problem this is more "Progress"?!?!

GI shortage

GI shortage

Nancy, I just saw in a recent Kaiser e-mail....There is an acute shortage of gastroenterologists.......

As a follow up to Nancy's observances, I will add that it is indeed happening more from my viewpoint. Since I work in ER admitting, I am in the position to see many more people being seen in the ER due to being unable to contact their doctors or a real person for advice. Yes, ER's are VERY expensive and being used more like 'urgent care'centers than true emergencies, as people are unable to be in touch with their medical professionals. Doctor's offices in my area are closed (and out of reach) more and more as time passes. I'm certain this has an effect on all of our insurance premiums!!! It certainly is a dilemma that affects us all financially and emotionally! I join your 'vent', Nancy...I sure wish this issue would be addresed by the Medical Groups everywhere.

Zipper

I AGREE

I AGREE

I am seeing this too with my doctors. They're all good, compassionate people, but they do seem to throw up every obstacle they can to block simple communications.

My cardio is the one exception who will respond to me within 2 or 3 hours by email even on the weekend. My clinic farms out the cardiologist function to a larger clinic out of Seattle, and he travels to the 'burbs 2 x a week. I hope they don't reign him in to their non-communicative ways.

I agree that the problem seems to be Cost Driven...They don't want to have to pay someone to field calls. Almost all (20+) of our cardiologists are in one big group and they have a most aggrivating automated telephone maze. I usually just press "0" to get an operator but that doesn't always work. Even when I ask for a specific nurse (i.e. someone who knows me), they take my number and have the next nurse (out of 50) in the queue return my call. VERY frustrating!

Even after my surgery, my cardiologist (who has really BEEN THERE for me when I needed him in the past) only wanted to see me once a month, in spite of 3 trips to my PCP and 5 trips to the ER in the first 4 weeks. After hours, the On-Call Cardiologist's calls are fielded by a Nurse Practicioner or Physician's Assistant and even those calls may not ever be returned unless one calls back and complains that no one has returned my call yet, after an hour or more of waiting.

Emergencies are all referred to 911 and you better hope they code it as something that is interpretted as an emergency or you get billed for tlhe $500 ambulance ride!

Welcome to the modern medical system for the 21st century !

'AL'

Availabilities

Availabilities

I am also in Huntsville AL and use the same group. Since I have a pacemaker, the reservationists won't let me see my cardiologist because my records say I have a pacemaker. They take care of all planning. The one they always connect me with is the electrician and I want to see the plumber. After 16 months without anyone talking to me about the flow of things, I'm pulsing the system. See the electrician in 2 weeks and am still trying to get to the plumber. Last few times, I did not get to even see the doctor, because the pacemaker is doing just fine and the AF is still almost nil (due to cardioversion). I still have a murmur but my regular doctor says it does not appear to change. I have had no echocardiograms, x-rays, etc., since my surgeon released my 12 months ago. I'll get to the plumber eventually - hopefully long before I need him. But I got really good attention in the ER when the AF and ventrical flutters happened 15 months ago. Huntsville Hospital gets an A from me. Most of the Heart Center does too. As has been the case with others, it is the cardiologist doc availabilities that appears to be lacking - or we are in such good shape now they need to concentrate on the others.

Last edited:
Nancy's right. No one is ever there when I need to talk to my PCM to have a question answered. I got lucky and my cardiologist is "old school" and still communicates with me. I also hate having to call my "TRI CARE appointment line, where my husband seems to be the most important of us. Why should I have to give them all HIS imformation, when the appointment is for ME??????? This animated stuff is crap, and they know it. It's time our doctors start caring more about us, their patients,(the ones who keep them in business in the first place) than the big dollars in their pocket, and how big and expensive their houses and cars are. AAARGGGGGHHHHH! Sorry Nancy, I used your thread to vent my frustrations.

Well, now that I've cooled down a bit (the red hair I guess, LOL) I must say that the vast majority of Joe's doctors are very excellent, attentive and do call back. He wouldn't be alive if they hadn't taken good care of him.

I've just never heard of a doctor with an unlisted office number. That's really takes the cake!!! I guess he must work on referrals only. Why bother hanging out a shingle then?

I have absolutely no problem with anyone earning a high salary and driving fancy cars and having a wonderful house. Go for it! If you have terrible responsibilities then you should be well compensated. That's what oils our system.

I ran a service business and had to deal with the public. It can be annoying, but I never forgot that my customers were my livelihood and if I didn't treat them right and do a good job, word would eventually get around and my competition would have my business. When there's a shortage in a profession, I guess you have a captive market and can treat people shabbily.

But you know what? I learned a long time ago, do a good thing for someone, and maybe if you're lucky, they'll tell 3 people about it. Do something bad and they'll tell everyone they know.

Maybe I didn't cool down, yet:)

I am just now experiencing the problem of doctors being non responsive. Seems like if there isn't something they can bill for, answering questions is a waste of their time.

I'm pondering on a solution to this, and it involves a bunch of attorneys who are my clients. The two doctors I'm having problems with are likely going to receive some letters from a large law firm requesting written responses to the questions I have; an alternative will be that they can simply call me with the answers. I'm sorry, doctors, but being non-responsive OR intentionally unavailable borders on misconduct and, in some cases, malpractice. If it takes an adversarial relationship for me to get quality medical care, so be it.

Interestingly, one of the very best cardiac surgeons out there (Dr. Kenton Zehr at the Mayo Clinic) answers e-mails and phone calls from people who aren't even patients yet WITHIN 24 HOURS. He is incredibly busy, but seems to make this communication a priority.

Anyhow, Nancy, this is obviously a pet peeve with lots of us. Oh, I also have some red hair (a streak of it amidst the grey) that appears to be fully loaded!

--John

I'm with you John

I'm with you John

Go get them John!! I worked side by side with doctors and surgeons for 10 years and I am sad to say that the majority exhibit the problems you speak of.

GO GET EM!!!:mad:

sic' em

sic' em

I too have experienced the frustration of getting ahold of my Doc. I now have his nurses name, and we talk frequently. I found through trial and error that a negative approach got me no where. Now, I am sweet as pie and get just about anything I want, any time I want. I like it. It works for me.

Nancy, Zipper, Joe, Hank, so good to see you guys!! Gotta figure out how to get my picture on here! Im computer impaired.

Nancy, it cracked me up to see YOU vent!! I'll never forget that ranting message I put on here, and you were the first person to respond. You supported me and said it was ok. I believe that was the first time in my life that i just "let it rip" about my health.
It felt SO good. I went back and reread it today, cause I feel about that same way. Guess thats what brings us here sometimes.

Anyway, good to see everyone. Those I know, and those I dont. We all have miracles in common. We get mad at our Doctors, we get frustrated at phone systems that dont work, we spend too much time trying to make professionals take CARE of us...... You are your own Doctor really. I believe it. I wouldnt be alive if I weren't totally involved in my own care. Happy heart everyone!
mindy

Honey certainly works with some people, and it may work for you in getting needed medical information, but it certainly had zero effect in my situation. As far as being your own doctor...can I come and watch next time you perform heart surgery on yourself?;)

Honey seems to beget a patronizing or condescending attitude, or things just get put on the back burner, or never done at all. I prefer to get things done sweetly, but if there are urgent things that have to be done right the first time, and need to be done NOW, the old Irish way is the best, plus not taking no for an answer.

Back