New member; Alarmed at decreasing EF %

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not saying this has anything to do with your breathlessness on exertion but I had that REAL bad (just walking up steps) starting a few months prior to suffering a major heart attack - which led to my OHS. Turned out I had a major coronary artery blocked 90% plus BAV with "moderate" calcification which of course put a strain on my heart. My breathlessness was originally totally misdiagnosed as COPD btw, and I almost died from that misdiagnosis & meds I was on etc etc etc, very long story.

The stress echo you mentioned getting should help reveal your issue. One known as a NUCLEAR stress test might also be useful - for that they inject you with radioactive/whatever dye b4 you workout on the treadmill then do cat & dog scans on you to get a good look at your heart muscle & its bloodflow.

Anyways, don't worry about the stress echo, should not be a big deal. Best of luck to you and sounds like you are on the right track!
Do you mind me asking the extent of breathlessness you would have from stairs before surgery? Just breathing a little harder or would you need to sit down to catch your breath ?

My sister, a retired OB/Gyn, had said she'd be concerned about any CT surgeon wanting to operate on someone functioning as well as I am given the risks
While OHS is not something to rush into, when you have a condition that will get progressively worse, with the risks continually increasing, why wait until the risks from the disease approach or exceed the risks from OHS? You will still have to have the OHS. The only risk that you can control is limiting the risk from the valve by not waiting until it causes damage.

Do you mind me asking the extent of breathlessness you would have from stairs before surgery? Just breathing a little harder or would you need to sit down to catch your breath ?
It's hard to quantify. I don't have to sit down to catch my breath but I do have to sop and rest. I feel it now just walking across the room when my heart rate is only around 75- not severe, not so bad I need to stop and catch my breath, but in the beginning I didn't have it just walking on a level surface.

While OHS is not something to rush into, when you have a condition that will get progressively worse, with the risks continually increasing, why wait until the risks from the disease approach or exceed the risks from OHS? You will still have to have the OHS. The only risk that you can control is limiting the risk from the valve by not waiting until it causes damage.

And that's where I am right now. The rest of my body is in great shape- medical records described my musculature as "grossly normal" (I considered that a compliment), balance and range of motion are good, no other medical issues. I figure I'm in a good spot to pull through it AND to enjoy the expected benefits.

I'm meeting with the surgeon Monday (yeah, in 2 days) . He had an opening that early and I want to hear what he has to say. I can't remember if I mentioned upthread that my sister, a retired OB-Gyn, had said she'd be concerned about a CT surgeon who wanted to operate on someone functioning as well as I am but my thinking in the last paragraph is the opposite. She HAS said she'll support me in whatever I decide, including flying halfway across the country to stay with me afterwards for awhile. Our late parents would be proud.

Last edited:
This is why I recommend to all children that they ask their parents for at least 1 sister! Seriously, I'm sure she will be very helpful.
It helps if she's an MD! I'm a retired actuary and so far none of my siblings has needed my expertise. :)

Back