Memorial Day

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hensylee

As memorial day weekend approaches, a very appropriate story is below.

Subject: Taps

TAPS: We have all heard the haunting song "Taps." It's the song that gives us that lump in our throats and usually creates tears in our eyes.
But, do you know the story behind the song? If not, I think you will be pleased to find out about its humble beginnings.

It all began in 1862 during the Civil War, when Union Army Captain Robert
Ellicombe was with his men near Harrison's Landing in Virginia. The
Confederate Army was on the other side of a narrow strip of land. During the
night, Captain Ellicombe heard the moans of a soldier who lay severely wounded
on the field. Not knowing if it was a Union or Confederate soldier, the
Captain decided to risk his life and bring the stricken man back for medical
attention.
Crawling on his stomach through the gunfire, the Captain reached the stricken
soldier and began pulling him towards his encampment. When the Captain
finally reached his own lines, he discovered the wounded man was actually a
Confederate soldier, but the soldier was already dead.
The Captain lit a lantern and suddenly caught his breath and went numb with
shock. In the dim light, he saw the face of the soldier. It was his own son.
The boy had been studying music in the South when the war broke out. Without
telling his father, the boy had enlisted in the Confederate Army.
The following morning, heartbroken, the father asked permission of his
superiors to give his son a full military burial despite his enemy status.
His request was only partially granted. Captain Ellicombe had asked if he
could have a group of Army band members play a funeral dirge for his son at
the funeral. The request was turned down since the soldier was a Confederate.
But, out of respect for the father, they did say that they would provide him
only one musician.
The Captain chose a bugler. He asked the bugler to play a series of musical
notes he had found on a piece of paper in the pocket of the dead youth's
uniform.
The wish was granted and the haunting melody we now know as "Taps," used at
military funerals and at the end of each day on US military bases was born.

Day is done
Gone the Sun
From the Lakes
From the hills
From the skies
All is well,
Safely rest
God is nigh.

Fading light
Dims the sight
And a star
Gems the sky,
Gleaming bright
From afar,
Drawing nigh,
Falls the night.

Thanks and praise
For our days
Neath the sun,
Neath the stars,
Neath the sky,
As we go,
This we know,
God is nigh.

Thank you Ann...a wonderful way to remind us all what this Holiday is really about!!!

Zipper

Memorial Day

Hi Hensylee

I don't remember hearing about Memorial Day before - it sounds like a day when you all remember those who died in wars in which the USA was involved. We have something similar here in the UK; Remembrance Day. This always takes place on the Sunday nearest to November 11th (it's the 10th this year), but many people observe two minutes silence on the 11th at 11.00am - the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
Your story about Taps is fascinating and very poignant. At military and state funerals here, a lone bugler plays 'The Last Post'. Despite having absolutely no military background, I still find this haunting tune often brings a lump to my throat. Most recently, we heard it played at the funeral of the Queen Mother.
Whatever you do on Memorial Day, I hope you enjoy it!

Best wishes to all from Simon

Yes, Simon, it's a day to honor those who have served their country. All over the country those lives are celebrated, tho so many of us don't even know what it's about - just think it's a day to go to beach or picnic.

Taps at Arlington

Taps at Arlington

I attend the ceremonies at Arlington cemetery every year. Usually
the President gives the speech and at the end, the top bugler in the army blows taps...very emotional

In Memory of "Clips"

In Memory of "Clips"

"Clips" was a soldier buddy of mine in Cambodia 1967-68. We were in the Airborne Rangers 82d Infantry in Cambodia when our president was telling the world we have no troops in Cambodia. Yeah! Right........No Troops in Cambodia!! "Clips" got his nickname because of his ever-present fear of running out of ammo. He was paranoid about it. He was loaded with ammo clips, grenades, you-name-it. But during a fire fight he was everyone's buddy and he had helped me out more than once. One night on patrol :Clips" was point. Well............he stepped on a mine and lit up the jungle like it was the 4th of July. We never found much of "Clips".

I just want to remember him for what he was......a good firend, a good soldier.

Memorial Day

Thanks for the story on taps. And for everyone else in remembering the boys and men who have fought in every war. My father was a wwII veteran and he never talked about his experience in the war. So we should always remember our freedom and the price paid for the freedoms we have. Thanks and have a safe holiday. Take care.

Caroline
09-13-01
aortic valve replacement
St Jude's valve

Thanks once again to Hensylee for the wonderful story on Taps. I sent it to all of my e-mail list, and got many wonderful responses.

I want to remember my father in-law who went overseas to fight in France during WWII. He also NEVER was able to speak about his experiences. It was much too painful for him. Many of his comrades didn't come home, and I know how that effected him. My father in-law no longer is with us, but I want to salute his courage along with all other men who fought and died for the freedom of others.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St.Jude's Mechanical

"Be thankful for every heart that touches you and grateful for every heart you can touch!"

Thank you for my Great Uncle Mike, who died during WWI, my Uncle James who died as an Air Force pilot during WWII, for my cousin James who died in the juncle of Vietnam, and for my son-in-law, who last year flew in the Prowler over Iraq during Desert Shield, but came home to my daughter. My Dad also served his country during WWII in the Coast Guard, and never spoke of it. To all of them......from all of us......thank you.

Marybeth

Two of you have said your dads came home from WWII and never spoke of experiences. I was a 12 yo after that war and recall that many wouldn't talk about it. I watched the Memorial Day concert from Washington on PBS and Charles Durning spoke. He said he, too, never spoke of his experiences. I didn't even know he as a highly decorated soldier, receiving the Silver Star - but he said he has decided to tell of his experiences because of our recent national tragedies as he wants his children and grandchildren and all of us to know the horrors of war and to strive for peace everywhere. Maybe if they would all start telling their stories it would help them and us.

Thanks Hensylee for posting this story....

The comments below about family members not talking about WWII are true for me as well. My dad was in the Marines in the Pacific during the latter stages of the war. Getting him to talk about it over the years was like pulling teeth, and I finally got the message to respect his wishes not to talk about it.

This story helps to put things in perspective.

No war talk

No war talk

Hi Johnny,

It's so true..my husband is a Viet Nam Vet..There is NO way he will discuss the'ghosts' of war with his family.

He is a member of the'American Legion' and very active in it. I do believe sometimes the 'Vets' will discuss it with one another. I think it's like heart disease in the way of..talking to those that 'have been there...done that' or have personal experiences, and therefore can understand and communicate. I don't think anyone comes back from war 'unscathed' and memories have to be haunting. God bless them all.

Zipper

Back