Lipitor, anyone? (or other statins)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

Maybe I've missed it, but I haven't seen any discussion here concerning any side effects caused by Lipitor or other statins. After Jerry had his big setback last month we started researching his medications. Lipitor seems to be a problem for lots of folks and Jerry is now off it. His total cholesterol was only 141 anyway, but they put him on it because he had one artery 90% blocked. If that was in fact the problem, he'd rather die of blocked arteries than the results of Lipitor.

He has been off Lipitor for 4 wks now and is back to where he was when the downturn started. At least now the sternum is healed but it was rough for a while. We'd be interested in others' experiences.

I am on Lipitor - second time around. First time, had been on it for several months, numbers were good. One day I got cramps everywhere in my body and since numbers were good the dr let me be off it - so I gave red yeast rice a try. Next test showed everything BACK UP. So back on the Lipitor. This time I am fine and have been back on it for a year or more. Wish you good luck. God bless

I don't know if you were aware of the following. The importance of CoQ10 for the heart. What the doctor probably didn't tell you is that if you are taking any of the popular statin drugs to lower cholesterol, your heart muscle is being depleted of this important nutrient. CoQ10 supplies the energy for your heart's pumping action. Without a sufficient supply of CoQ10 the heart simply fails. New studies overwhelmingly show that any and all of the statins create dangerous CoQ10 deficiencies that can lead to CHF. The only way you can protect yourself is to make sure you take CoQ10 supplements with the medication.
All these statin drugs can produce dangerous side effects from bloating, nausea, constipation and muscle soreness, to cataracts, liver damage, even death.
By changing the cholesterol guidelines, drug companies have almost tripled their number of potential customers overnight. Doctors have no choice but to go along. Cholesterol drugs are now the leading prescription written by doctors.
Cholesterol is not the bad guy. You couldn't survive without it. More than 80% of the cholesterol floating through your bloodstream is produced by your liver. That's it's job. Cholesterol breaks down the fats in your diet and helps the body to digest them.
My total Cholesterol is 214 and I am going to keep it above 200. With what I personally am eating there is just NO WAY I am consuming too much cholesterol. Have you all read the disclaimer on the Lipitor commercial that says that Lipitor has not been proven to prevent heart attacks of heart disease.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical

"Be thankful for every heart that touches you and grateful for every heart you can touch"

Last edited:
Just wanted to mention that there is an interaction between CoQ10 and Warfarin (Coumadin).

Here's what's on Al Lodwick's site, which is a marvelous resource: warfarinfo.com

COENZYME Q10 INTERACTIONS WITH WARFARIN

Coenzyme Q10 has a chemical structure very close to that of vitamin K. There is an excellent review article covering interactions of alternative therapies and warfarin written by Amy Heck et al. in the July 1, 2000 edition of the American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy. In this article she cites four cases of interactions where coenzyme Q10 interfered with warfarin. Her conclusion is that until more is known about the effect of coenzyme Q10 and warfarin, patients should be advised to avoid the combination because of the possible risk of thrombotic (blood clotting) complications. If warfarin and Coenzyme Q10 are used together, the patient's INR should be monitored periodically within the first two weeks.
Reference: Heck AM et al. Potential Interactions Between Alternative Therapies and Warfarin. Am J Health-Syst Pharm 2000;57:1221-30.

The following was written by one of my students

Co-enzyme Q-10 is used to prevent cellular damage during myocardial ischemia and reperfusion and as a free radical scavenger (clinical studies do appear to support its usefulness in CHF and ischemic heart disease) 2 However, co-enzyme Q-10 is closely related in structure to vitamin K, and as such concurrent intake with warfarin may result in antagonism of warfarin?s anticoagulant effect. In rat studies, antagonism of Co-enzyme Q-10 had resulted in increased PT time. 1 There are a few case reports of interactions found in the literature.

Case reports:

3 patients on warfarin experienced a decreased INR after starting coenzyme Q-10, with a return to baseline after coenzyme Q-10 was discontinued.

68 year-old male treated with warfarin X 6 years for PE and CV emboli
72 year-old male treated for PE
70 year-old female treated for several years with warfarin
References:

1. Spigset O. Reduced effect of warfarin caused by ubidecarenone (letter). Lancet 1994; 344: 1372-1373.

2. Greenberg S, Frishman WH. Co-enzyme Q-10: a new drug for cardiovascular disease. J Clin Pharmacol 1990; 30: 596-608.

© 2001 Patricia Chuong

Back to interactions list Home

© 2000, 2001 Lodwick Creations, LLC

Contact Mr. Lodwick at: [email protected]

Last modified April 1, 2001

Christina - now that you mention it, when I went off the Lipitor, my cardio asked me if my primary had suggested CoQ10. I hadn't heard of it at the time but think the cardio wanted me to take it with Lipitor. Since I am back on Lipitor, should get some to take. Apparently it helps keep the cramping away? Tks for reminder! Pumphead here.

Lipitor

Lipitor

I have had no problems with Lipitor. They just increased the dosage to 20mg. a day. My numbers were still high after 6 months, so now we should see a difference. Wonder since I had my surgery it will make any difference. ???

Back to work now , my 2nd day. Not bad , but sure am tired. But it feels good to be back with all my friends. I missed all my patients too. They are letting me go easy for the first week but I' am sure next week it will be back to normal. Thought my scar would show with my uniforms being a little low in the front, but not bad. I was really worried about that. It's funny I thought when I went back to work I wouldn't have time to post anything, but everyone here has become a friend to me, so I want to keep up the communication with all of you. Thanks Again . Syl:cool:

Hey Syl - nice you are staying - when one of us decides to go on hiatus, we miss her/him. Then we wonder where they are and how they are. (such as Gillian in UK). Eventually they usually wander back in from time to time and we catch up. Glad you are getting back into routine. One day you will wonder where the time went - it'll seem like yesterday and yrs ago, too. God bless:)

Hi Henyslee:

Saw your input and had to reply to you especially for one who has been on hiatus. I've been trying to catch up on things I should do since my surgery in December. It is now almost 4 months and I am back to doing everything I did before but in better form. Yesterday I saw the surgeon and was discharged. I guess I will be living a little longer. The only problem is the leg that has five cuts. It is slightly swollen and he has recommended a compression stocking. If that's the only problem, I can take it.

I felt I had to get back on to support anyone near my age who is concerned about having surgery. If you recall, I am 78 years old and was afraid that because of my age I would end up an invalid. Well my friends and family are amazed that I have picked up where I left off.

I now have a Medtronic Porcine Valve and the echo said it is doing what it is there to do. I am still on Warfarin and was told by my cardio it will be another two months. So far that has been no problem. I was so afraid I would be on it for the rest of my life that two more months is nothing. It was interesting to read about its interaction with statins. I have been on Zocor for years and have had no ill effects. In fact, my cholesterol has been in the 170 range. The reason the surgeon did the double bypass was a buildup of calcium in the artery not plaque.

All I can advise anyone is do what has to be done and then keep going.

Aida

My Cholesterol Story

My Cholesterol Story

This June I will be re-testing my Cholesterol levels, revealing a full year of Red Yeast Rice supplementation vs. statins. While my PCP advised he could go either way with a statin prescription or natural RYR, he gave me the benefit of trying the natural way first.

After my first cholesterol reading a year ago (total 241), I was freaked out about it and became pretty obsessed with doing something about it. I drastically cut my red meat and dairy products intake and started taking RYR. I added Soy to my diet and enjoy a soy protein drink almost every day. I hit it hard for 3 months and my cholesterol total dropped 40 points! Exercise increase also benefitted.

While continuing my regimen of the RYR and Soy, I have since eased off on the diet obsession. I'm still careful, but just not as anal about it. I'm hoping for the best with the test in June and I will re-post this information at that time.

Recently my RYR "prescription" became no longer available through Walgreens. According to the health food outlet the FDA has turned up the heat and had RYR pulled off pharmacy shelves. There's quite a story behind this, but the big drug companies have filed a patent dispute. There is a natural chemical in RYR that is nearly identical to a chemical in the statins. (Hmmm, will they next try to patent the natural air we breath?) The health food stores seem able to get it currently, but who knows how soon the big guns will attack these suppliers. Nevertheless, I picked up a 3-month supply.

I'll be back in June.

PerryA

Aida - so nice to see you. I had bypass and have the leg scars, like you. I had swelling and the dr told me I would probably always have some. It's been two yrs now and my ankle still swells, but not as much as in the beginning, so I am used to it. It isn't bad and only I know it's there, but it is. Welcome home, missed you. Tell hubby hello.

Perry - the statins are all based with RYR (got this info from an EP on another site) and that's probably why the pharmaceutical companies are getting it off the pharmacy shelves. They want the big $ and will make noises to keep RYR away from us. Go to the health store.

God bless

I just wanted to chime in on the Statin drug issue. I was taken off Zocor yesterday - after being on a 40 mg daily dose for several years. I began experiencing deep muscle pain and at times, severe fatigue - like I had just run 10 miles. This began a few weeks ago. At age 52, you first think its normal age related aches and pains. Most mornings I felt like my head was in a fog. My internist suspects that its the Zocor. I took the last dose on Tuesday evening and am feeling much better already. If this trend continues, I'll probably be started on Lipitor next week as an alternative, which hopefully won't cause the same problems. If it does, I will seriously rethink taking any cholestoral medications. Its being given as a preventative in my case, since the cardiac cath I had done 2 years ago revealed no arterial build-up. None of the drugs we all take are side effect free. You really have to make informed decisions regarding your own care. Doctors will normally follow guidelines in making their recommendations. Its up to the patient to make the final decision regarding those recommendations.

Mornin KRon - think about adding CoQ10 with Lipitor (or any statins) Ask your dr about it. Those cramps are pretty terrible - mine were ALL OVER MY BOD! Didn't know about CoQ10 at the time. God bless

I will ask the doctor when I speak to him next week. Having read some of the earlier postings on this issue, I am a little concerned about its effect on my Coumadin therapy. That's a delicate balance that I don't want to upset too much. Thank goodness for home testing - especially in cases where your medications are being adjusted.

Make sure your doctor remembers that you're on Coumadin when you ask about CoQ10. There is an interaction between the two which affects your INR.

Actually, it was your earlier posting that alerted me to that potential interaction. My internist is great and really current on all facets of this and I'm sure he would bring it up if I forget to. Thanks again.

Back