Kevin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

Hey guys. I am sorry I haven't posted very often lately. I'm just sort of down. I found out where Kevin is going to be stationed at, and it isn't exactly what I was hoping for. It turns out he's going to an Island in the middle of the indian ocean called Diego Garcia. It's a small island that only allows military and government contractors to get there. It is a 24 hour plane ride away from here. He'll be gone for a year. Meanwhile I will be here with the boys, and I wonder how they are going to handle their dad being gone for a year. Is Erik (1 year old) going to remember his dad when he comes home? Is Ian going to revert back again when his dad leaves? He's a daddy's boy. We've begun taping Kevin telling the boys stories at night so I can have a tape of him so Ian doesn't feel like he's been abandoned. I also had another idea of getting them each a "daddy bear." They can each have a bear that they can go to for comfort when they miss Kevin. Man, this is going to be a low point for me, though. I have a family counselor, but only part of the family will be there! I got her for this reason, though. I am not going to be able to explain to Ian or help him through this when I am at this low point in my life. Well, I just thought I would let you all know what we found out.

HELLO JOY.....WE'VE NEVER MET, BUT I CAN EMPATHIZE WITH THE WAY YOU'RE FEELING. ONE THING I MIGHT MENTION IS TO HAVE THE BOYS AND YOU CREATE A CALENDAR....A BIG ONE YOU CAN PUT ON THE DOOR OR WALL AND ONCE A DAY HAVE EVERYONE CROSS OFF ANOTHER DAY. ALSO, IT MIGHT BE NICE IF KEVIN WRITES A LITTLE NOTE TO EACH OF YOUR KIDS THAT YOU READ ON ONE SPECIAL NIGHT A WEEK OR A MONTH OR WHATEVER. HE CAN CENTER IT AROUND A SPECIAL HOLIDAY OR TIME TO REMEMBER. THAT WAY THE KIDS WILL ALWAYS HAVE SOMETHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO THAT HAS TO DO WITH THEIR DAD ONCE A WEEK. IT TAKES A BIT OF PLANNING ON YOUR PART, BUT IS DEFINITELY WORTH IT. HE CAN DO A TAPE OR A LETTER OR A SPECIAL PRESENT HIDDEN IN A CLOSET, JUST A LITTLE SOMETHING.

GOOD LUCK.

EVELYN

Hello Joy,

Think POSITIVE and look for the silver linings.

Will you be able to communicate over the internet with e-mail?
Pictures? Video? You might want to look into those options.

While Diego Garcia is pretty isolated, that also makes it pretty SAFE. Nobody's going to get near the place on anything SMALL.

Best Wishes,

'AL'

Joy,

As a retired LTC, US Army, my wife and I have been there and we can relate to your concerns and worries. Let me tell you while it feels really bad for you, it is really much worse on your husband Kevin. Yes he left you but he really had no choice. While he may not say it, he will worry himself to death because hear he is the man of the family, yey he is half a world away and what can he do if there am an emergency or my wife of kids need me? It is an incredibly stressful situation for him, as well as you and the kids, please keep that in mind. You all have to work this out.

Joy, Kevin is a soldier and he is protecting you and his children. While I do not know him, I salute him for his patriotism and desire to protect all of us. Thank heaven for all the Kevin?s of the world. Yes separation is hard but is also very noble, necessary and something to be very, very proud of.

Don?t worry, the kids will remember him, mine did when I spent a year in Saudi Arabia. Have them write him and support him; he will love that and keep the stress down, if you can.

Keep us posted as this is a group of people that care.

Walter

AVR 15 Aug

Hi guys, thanks for the support.

Evelyn, those are some pretty good ideas, I will make a huge calender and let the kids mark off the days. Kevin doesn't leave for Diego until october, because he has to go to a school before he can goes. The school is 6 weeks long in San diego, CA, and we'll be staying home for that too. It's just going to be hard for the kids for that 6 weeks, and then he has to leave again for a year. I think it should get easier as time goes on. My mom said that they will be out every 3-4 months, and I will be going to them for christmas, I think. I don't know, maybe they will come to me. I know this sucks. Kevin has to spend christmas all by himself. I feel very badly for him.

He has free access to e-mail, and I think with his reenlistment bonus, he is going to buy a laptop for himself. I will be spending a lot of money sending a lot of stuff out for him. He is only allowed two check in bags, and 1 carry on. That will be his laptop(when he gets it.)I look at it as such... It's a year that we spend apart, and it's going to be hard for all of us. I know Kevin doesn't have a choice in the matter. If he did, he'd stay here with us. I am very proud of him, He is staying in the Navy, mainly for me and my heart. Otherwise he'd have gotten out.

I am a very emotional person. I cry at the drop of a dime. I am very sentimental. I keep everything that reminds me of Kevin. It's crazy, I know, but it works for me. I just wanted to say thanks guys for your support and empathy

Back