Is numbness of the feet a sign things are getting worse?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatoriFround

While waiting on my appointment with the cardiologist my angina has gone from very occasional to basically everyday. The appointment is only 8 days away now though. So this past week I have started having numbness in my feet. The symptoms say swelling of the feet and ankles is a symptom, but would numbness of the feet be a symptom? It would make sense since if your heart isn't working as well it can't pump blood as efficiently to your extremities. I don't have swelling, but I am also on a diuretic, so could that mask any swelling I might have otherwise gotten? If this is a new symptom, is it something that can wait until next week, or does it need to be reported to my doctor immediately?

Yes, this can be a sign that your heart is not able to circulate enough blood:

"Poor circulation from heart disease reduces blood flow to the extremities like the feet. This can deprive tissues of oxygen and nutrients, leading to pain, numbness, tingling, sores, and slower wound healing."

https://www.cornerstonefootandankle...=How Your Heart,accumulate in the lower limbs.

It is good that your cardiology appointment is in only 8 days. As has been discussed, you have severe AS and are symptomatic, based on several of the things you have described. If your cardiologist does not refer you for a surgical consult, I would recommend getting a second opinion asap.

I had two notable symptoms that brought me to my cardiologist in 2003 (it most likely saved my life). Skipped heart beats and tingling in my extremities. It was then that we discovered I had a BAV and an aortic aneurysm. I would definitely prioritize these new findings. I like Chucks suggestion of capturing a second opinion. Good luck.

Yes, this can be a sign that your heart is not able to circulate enough blood:

"Poor circulation from heart disease reduces blood flow to the extremities like the feet. This can deprive tissues of oxygen and nutrients, leading to pain, numbness, tingling, sores, and slower wound healing."

https://www.cornerstonefootandankle.com/blog/the-heart-foot-connection-how-cardiovascular-health-impacts-your-feet.cfm#:~:text=How Your Heart,accumulate in the lower limbs.

It is good that your cardiology appointment is in only 8 days. As has been discussed, you have severe AS and are symptomatic, based on several of the things you have described. If your cardiologist does not refer you for a surgical consult, I would recommend getting a second opinion asap.
We are making the second appointment as soon as we walk out the door. And I can almost guarantee it won't be 8 weeks away. Grrr...

Oh, my wife had her friend review my results, as he is a heart surgeon. He said he would recommend a valve replacement, among other things, and direct from him- he said THE SOONER THE BETTER.

I had two notable symptoms that brought me to my cardiologist in 2003 (it most likely saved my life). Skipped heart beats and tingling in my extremities. It was then that we discovered I had a BAV and an aortic aneurysm. I would definitely prioritize these new findings. I like Chucks suggestion of capturing a second opinion. Good luck.
I think I will actually call before the appointment. That way I can sign the release forms in the doctor's office to have my results sent to the other doctor.

I have possible BAV and definite ascending aortic aneurysm. The two echos and one CT weren't able to definitely state whether it is BAV or not.

I don't think I would be comfortable walking around with a diagnosed ascending aortic aneurysm (although I think I might be - but a really small one). The foot numbness may be a symptom - but a symptom of WHAT. If you haven't already, report it to your cardiologist - soon - it's just a phone call, after all. See what he or she thinks - and see if the appointment changes from a week away to this afternoon.

And if you don't get a satisfactory response, you might see if a different cardiologist has a somewhat different sense of urgency.

If you have a device that will do an EKG/ECG (watches will do this, so does an inexpensive device that's being advertised every 30 minutes or so), it may pick up an arrhythmia - and may be able to send it to your cardio. If not, don't worry about it.

You have a community here that's waiting to learn more and hoping that everything's okay, and if not, that it can be resolved quickly and completely.

I don't think I would be comfortable walking around with a diagnosed ascending aortic aneurysm (although I think I might be - but a really small one). The foot numbness may be a symptom - but a symptom of WHAT. If you haven't already, report it to your cardiologist - soon - it's just a phone call, after all. See what he or she thinks - and see if the appointment changes from a week away to this afternoon.

And if you don't get a satisfactory response, you might see if a different cardiologist has a somewhat different sense of urgency.

If you have a device that will do an EKG/ECG (watches will do this, so does an inexpensive device that's being advertised every 30 minutes or so), it may pick up an arrhythmia - and may be able to send it to your cardio. If not, don't worry about it.

You have a community here that's waiting to learn more and hoping that everything's okay, and if not, that it can be resolved quickly and completely.
Yes, I have a smart watch, and one of those smart rings. It measures my bp, pulse ox, sleep and heart rate, as well as letting me know if my heart isn't beating right. I know, overkill. It keeps telling me no arrhythmias. Also my aneurysm measured 4.5, so this should still be a safe measurement. This was only a little over a month ago that I got that measurement.

The feet seem to be the worst after exercising, which didn't used to be a problem, so I am taking it very easy at the gym.

My appointment is Thursday, so two more days!

I think I will actually call before the appointment. That way I can sign the release forms in the doctor's office to have my results sent to the other doctor.

I have possible BAV and definite ascending aortic aneurysm. The two echos and one CT weren't able to definitely state whether it is BAV or not.
Neuropathy has many causes; many believe just for the diabetics. I have neuropathy in my left foot and two toes on the right foot. Poor circulation can be a cause. Just a pain with the numbness. And I use a rollator to keep my balance in check and have a seat when waiting for a bus, or rest on a walk.

Oh, my wife had her friend review my results, as he is a heart surgeon. He said he would recommend a valve replacement, among other things, and direct from him- he said THE SOONER THE BETTER.
Based on the information that you have shared about your condition and symptoms, I would say that he is spot on. The guidelines call for surgical intervention once aortic stenosis is severe with symptoms. As discussed, there is good reason for this.

I guess your consult is coming up in a few days. It will be interesting to hear your cardiologist's take on things. Strange that he had no sense of urgency and has delayed the consult this many months.

Based on the information that you have shared about your condition and symptoms, I would say that he is spot on. The guidelines call for surgical intervention once aortic stenosis is severe with symptoms. As discussed, there is good reason for this.

I guess your consult is coming up in a few days. It will be interesting to hear your cardiologist's take on things. Strange that he had no sense of urgency and has delayed the consult this many months.
Yes, I find it strange. I want to ask why he felt I didn't need to know the result of my tests for months. Why he felt this issue wasn't a big deal...

Latest posts

Back