Hello.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

I've been an on-again off-again lurker here since "here" was just an elaborate mailing list (I saw one of Hank's posts on medhelp.org several years ago).

My wife (28 years old) has had mitral valve insufficiency caused by a prolapsed anterior leaflet (and a slightly prolapsed posterior leaflet) since birth. She's followed locally (in Pittsburgh) and by Dr. William Stewart at the Cleveland Clinic. She's never suffered any symptoms, but the regurgitation caused by the defect is severe (3-4+) and has been severe for years. We've known that surgery is inevitable since day 1. We're currently in the "holding pattern" I suspect many of you are familiar with. Her heart isn't dilated, her EF is 60%, so we're told to wait.

Her chance of a repair was quoted by Dr. Stewart at around 75% in 2000 (apparently anterior leaflet repairs are tricky). We intend to have Dr. Delos Cosgrove perform the surgery whenever we're told it's "time." I'm hoping his skills can up our odds.

I really don't have anything of substance to report beyond this introduction. Sometimes I go through a spurt of panic and spend a few weeks reading everything I can about mitral valve surgery in the hope that I can somehow make a difference when the important decisions need to be made. This is one of those times.

So here I am. I hope I can contribute to the group as well as learn from it.

Best of luck to all of you.

Christian

Last edited:
Hello Christian

Your in the right place, but I think you know that already, if not, it will become apparent very quickly!

Dr. Cosgrove is just about the best, if not the best in his field.
You might want to PM Jennifer O. She just had hers done about a month and a half ago. The hometown doc's didn't give her much hope for repair, so she consulted and came to Cleveland to have it done. Dr. Cosgrove repaired it 100%.

Welcome back and don't lurk. Join in and ask, learn, and share.
That is what we are all here for. ;)

Hi Christian-

You've made thje big move. You're no longer a "lurker". Decided to come right out in the open, eh? Well, good for you. You're going to meet lots of wonderful friends who understand things that most people have never even heard about.

You're going to learn so much by asking and even contributing to the forum, so we hope to see you here often.

My husband has had three valve surgeries, he has two mechanical valves, aortic and mitral. His aortic valve is 25 years old. He also has a pacemaker and has had two lung surgeries. He has chronic CHF and is in afib which is controlled by the pacemaker. He had rheumatic fever as a teen, and is 70 years old now. So he's been through quite a bit.

I hope your wife remains symptom free for many years to come, and if and when the time comes for surgery, we'll be here to offer friendship and support.

Best wishes,

Hello, and welcome Christian:

My husbands' condition is almost ditto of Joe's, Nancy's husband, except his repairs were made in October, and he doesn't have the pacemaker..........yet. We are seeing a Dr. on May 1st regarding the implant.

It sounds as though you know a lot more than I did, even as short a period of time as a year ago. I am always on the computer, and I just can't explain why I didn't do more research./ If I had, I probably would have nedged him into getting to see a cardio at least 6 months prior to last May, when they finally said.....you've GOT to get this done. Took us way way by surprise. He had been dx'd with pneumonia.

Mitral valve surgery is more difficult to recover from then aortic valve surgery, as they have to implant it inside the heart. We've been told the recovey is longer, but the success rates are just about the same.

My best advice to you is to continue what you are doing....research and stay involved. It's not just her life........it is yours as well.

Wishing you peace on this journey, and again, welcome.

Marybeth

Back