Hard pounding in the chest after mechanical AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windfinder

Hello, I have posted some questions on diet and INR but here is my other concern. It’s been about 4 weeks from AVR, I went mechanical, I knew about the noise and I am ok with the noise itself ( it’s loud but I am ok) but what gets a bit overwhelming at times is the feeling of a hard pounding on the chest. It creates bone vibration at the sternum but it travels even to the shoulders. If I put my hand in the clavicle I clearly feel the vibration. The feeling is like someone is constantly hammering my chest from inside. Does this get better over time once things are not so swollen or when people say “ it gets better” it means we just get used to that pounding. Again, noise if fine but the pounding it’s harder for me to handle…

Muchas gracias!

That is a good question for your cardiologist since it has only been four weeks since your surgery. Probably the "pounding" is normal as your body "unwinds" from the trauma of surgery and your heart does a little remodeling.......but you are very new in recovery and your doc knows your situation best.

Hi
Hello, I have posted some questions on diet and INR but here is my other concern.
ok ... sure

It’s been about 4 weeks from AVR, I went mechanical, I knew about the noise and I am ok with the noise itself ( it’s loud but I am ok) but what gets a bit overwhelming at times is the feeling of a hard pounding on the chest.
I believe that not only do you find this, but I found it and many others have too

Some posts:

https://www.valvereplacement.org/th...after-ascending-aortic-aneurysm-repair.43428/

https://www.valvereplacement.org/threads/unusually-loud-heartbeat.888491/

https://www.valvereplacement.org/th...-heart-rate-following-avr-aorta-graft.888229/

you can find a lot more ...

I've put it down personally to some combination of:
  • the hard closure of the valve (compared to a triplet of curtains acting as a hydraulic sail)
  • the inflamation around the area making everything tighter and conducting sound better
  • the heart all really disturbed and upset and beating like crazy because "it doesn't like to be touched" (let alone, stopped, cut into and restarted)
I believe that all of us have experienced this to some level or another and it abates over time.

Try to not stress about things as while its all pretty different its like some sort of baptism into a new life (where you don't have valvular heart disease anymore) ... you probably don't remember the last time it was all new to you.

1724476904139.png

So now you're starting your new life with your newly granted lease with prosthetic heart disease.

Muchas gracias!
I didn't see the INR question, but perhaps that's following ;-)

Best Wishes

Pellicle, you have answers and good info for everything!!! you are a machine, thanks a lot.

I hope the pounding gets better. The INR questions were the ones in the other thread that you had already kindly addressed. Got your info thanks and will reach out after I have done some testing for my INR’s diet sensitivity.

Hi
Pellicle, you have answers and good info for everything!!! you are a machine,
you know, I'm just a little bit more chuffed with that compliment than I should be. Normally I use that phrase for athletes like "Tour de France riders" but I'll take that slant too.

Thank you and you're welcome

PS: I really like Sam Harris ... this has something in it for you too (about "bearing" and "how much we can bear")

Hello, I have posted some questions on diet and INR but here is my other concern. It’s been about 4 weeks from AVR, I went mechanical, I knew about the noise and I am ok with the noise itself ( it’s loud but I am ok) but what gets a bit overwhelming at times is the feeling of a hard pounding on the chest. It creates bone vibration at the sternum but it travels even to the shoulders. If I put my hand in the clavicle I clearly feel the vibration. The feeling is like someone is constantly hammering my chest from inside. Does this get better over time once things are not so swollen or when people say “ it gets better” it means we just get used to that pounding. Again, noise if fine but the pounding it’s harder for me to handle…

Muchas gracias!
I believe I've followed up on one of @pellicle previous posts about this, but I too questioned it after surgery. I also had a root replacement along with my valve, so a good bit of hardware was used in my surgery. 4 years later the thump, as I would describe it, is still there, but is only really prominent in certain positions. If I push my chest out, if I take a deep deep breath and hold it, and sometimes just how I sit in a chair or pew.

I asked the doctor about it and he mentioned that the scar tissue from the surgery, changes to the pericardium, and the introduction of foreign hardware in a tight space may be some of the causes. He said it may go away after time, or it may stay, who knows. I just avoid those positions if possible because they make me uncomfortable (like I feel like I could "break" something, which of course isn't true), but I'd say overall its gotten progressively better after time.

I felt more comfortable when I found out more people had the same symptoms. Of course, some are lucky and may not, but I'd keep up with your Dr. if it doesn't subside some just in case there is something amiss.

Best part to remember is that you're still alive. :)

Hello, I have posted some questions on diet and INR but here is my other concern. It’s been about 4 weeks from AVR, I went mechanical, I knew about the noise and I am ok with the noise itself ( it’s loud but I am ok) but what gets a bit ov......

Muchas gracias!
What is your blood pressure?

Muchas gracias!
I am only 8-weeks post mechanical AVR and aortic root replacement. Definitely empathize with what you are feeling. I feel the thumping in my chest if I take a deep inhale or lay on my left or right side. Considering this normal due to the nature of the hardware in my chest and not stressing.

BP varies from 115/72 to 135/85 (at the end of a beta blocker dose right before taking another dose- highest it has been at rest).

Muchas gracias!
I had AVR in October of 2016 and like you I could also feel my heartbeat off my clavicle along with feeling it in my chest, shoulder and even my head at times. Driving me into depression for a few months.

While it hasn’t totally gone away it has gotten better and most the time I don’t even notice it.
The only place I feel it now is in right shoulder area.
I didn’t think I would ever get used to it and dreaded the thought of having to live the rest of my life this way. Now it doesn’t bother me at all and now I even kind of like it. If I had a choice of being able to get rid of it or keep it I would probably keep it.
I know you will be fine also, it is new for you and it is what you are focusing on now but will fade overtime.
I waited a year and went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I went in the morning and had tests run on my heart and the visited with a cardiologist in the afternoon. He didn’t have any answers of what was the cause of this but told me my heart was fine and had nothing to worry about.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. (hopefully I can help)The reason I follow this site is to support people with this specific problem, because I know what I went through.

Muchas gracias!
It does get better, you will get used to is and it will be quieter.

Lisa - I have a mechanical On-X aortic valve.
It may be the same, but with the mitral valve, you'll feel it more on the left side because that's where it's located. When mine was still bad, I couldn't lie on my left side at all because it caused pressure on my already enlarged heart and the valve would struggle to keep up.

I am only 8-weeks post mechanical AVR and aortic root replacement. Definitely empathize with what you are feeling. I feel the thumping in my chest if I take a deep inhale or lay on my left or right side. Considering this normal due to the nature of the hardware in my chest and not stressing.

BP varies from 115/72 to 135/85 (at the end of a beta blocker dose right before taking another dose- highest it has been at rest).
Good to know, seems like it’s kind of normal then. Btw, what’s your heart rate 8 weeks post op? I am 5 weeks post op now and it’s still so much higher even with a beta blocker. Resting heart rate is 75 and after eating it stays in the high 80’s for a good couple of hours or more.

I had AVR in October of 2016 and like you I could also feel my heartbeat off my clavicle along with feeling it in my chest, shoulder and even my head at times. Driving me into depression for a few months.

While it hasn’t totally gone away it has gotten better and most the time I don’t even notice it.
The only place I feel it now is in right shoulder area.
I didn’t think I would ever get used to it and dreaded the thought of having to live the rest of my life this way. Now it doesn’t bother me at all and now I even kind of like it. If I had a choice of being able to get rid of it or keep it I would probably keep it.
I know you will be fine also, it is new for you and it is what you are focusing on now but will fade overtime.
I waited a year and went to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN. I went in the morning and had tests run on my heart and the visited with a cardiologist in the afternoon. He didn’t have any answers of what was the cause of this but told me my heart was fine and had nothing to worry about.
If you have anymore questions feel free to ask. (hopefully I can help)The reason I follow this site is to support people with this specific problem, because I know what I went through.
Thanks so much Mundtc. Funny to read that your choice would be to keep it ! :)

Latest posts

Back