emotional changes due to heart surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csutherland

I've known two people over the years who had bypass surgery who underwent significant personality changes. Both became very nervous and one was also depressed for a long time. Both stayed nervous for several years until death. I've never read anything about this phenomenon on any website, but asked the surgeon last week. He immediately said "Yes, they're called pumpheads", and explained that it can be caused by the heart-lung bypass. This scares me to death. My SO is a nervous person and can be prone to depression anyway. Comments or experiences?

Hi C,

I don't know that the depression is caused by the heart-ling machine, but do feel that it is caused more by the sudden change in lifestyle and routine that one faces after major heart surgery.

My doctors told me that I would most likely get very depressed as I recuperated. They were right.. I did. A case of the "Why Me" Blues. Having to do things differently.. I got over it.. I mean afterall, it sure beats the alternative, and now.. almost 2 years later, I feel great! For the most part I still live my life almost the same as before, just alittle more cautious with some things that I do.

One has to realize that thoughts are always going to enter our mind that are related to the incident; Thoughts like.."What if it happens again? or, What if I don't make it the next time? You cannot stop these thoughts from entering your mind. You have to recognize the thoughts..acknowledge them for what they are, and let them pass. If not, you dwell on them.. and can get overwhelmed and depressed.

You definately look at the world and live differently after going though any major life threatening illness and surgery.

So there you have it, my thoughts... <smile> Life is wonderful.

Wishing you good health,

Rob

I agree with Rob on all that he said. All of us wonder if 'it could happen again' - and go on about our daily business. I do feel that we have a greater respect for life and all it can mean - appreciation of small things, more tender/softer feelings. It isn't just 'another operation' to us. It is major surgery and that, in itself, means that it was very serious, and I didn't realize that part til after. We have been to the edge and know that life is precious. Many have spoken of depression but it generally passes with time. Your SO doesn't really have many choices, so you must stand by your SO's side with support always. There is support here, too, so please stay with us. God bless:)

hi csutherland!
welcome! as far as post surgical depression goes, i'm not sure what the cause is, but i do know that it's very normal. it doesn't necessarily strike everyone though. joey, my husband, the patient, was not really depressed after his surgery. he was frustrated with how slow the recovery was (he thought he'd be up, around and doing everything in a week! what was he thinking??).

i agree with robthatsme and hensylee, you certainly walk away with a very fine appreciation of life and the little things. although this surgery is done quite routinely today, it is still BIG.

this site is a wonderful, supportive place. we are here to hold your hand (and your so's) throughout this scary time. please feel free to call on us. many of us got that support when it was our turns, and are so glad to give it to others who may need it.
please keep coming back, we'd love to hear from you.
be well,
sylvia

Depression

Depression

As I look back to 1991 right after my bypass I was as high as a kite. The word starts with urph... I think and sounds like gloria. (I am a terrible speller). No kidding, it was spring in the country and I loved my walks allong the dirt roads, watching the leaves come out and wildflowers come up. When I wasn't listening to the sounds of nature, I had the sounds of a marching band blasting away on my walkman. It was a great way to keep a brisk pace. Try just shuffling along with Stars and Stripes Forever!
As long as I measured my progress compared to last week and not yesterday, it was clear I was getting better all the time.
I will say that after returning to work it seemed that I was not as sharp mentally. I found complex stuff a little harder to understand and I forgot a lot of small things. I don't really know if it was my imagination or real. And if it was real, I don't know if I regained what was lost or just got used to it. Today, it doesn't matter to me.
Today, three days before I have my arotic valve replaced and another bypass done, I must admit I am a little depressed but even more concerned because the mechanical/tissue decision has yet to be made, and I have to make it. I wish it were simple.
Probably my next post will be post surgery, from the hospital when I feel like getting on my laptop again.
Till then,
Pete

Hi Pete,

Your post brings back memories of my post surgery view of the world. I will have you in my thought and prayers as you approach your surgery. We all be looking forward to seeing your new posts telling us all about your valve selection and how things are going after your surgery.

Wishing you good health,

Rob

Hi!
We had been stronly warned about the possibility of depression, prior to surgery. The staff at Mass General warned us that it happens to almost everyone. I can honestly say that I think, through the course of this, my SO has been "down" about a day and a half......he does get very anxious over very small things now....much more so than he used to. And, our recent Dr. visit was not all that positive, so I think he is going through some emotions that he hadn't gone through before. He has been very thankful and appreciative to all of the people who were so kind to him and ou family. I can say, though, that he was really really ill right before the surgery. SOB, fluid retention, indigestion, angina, etc. etc. etc. During his waiting period he defintely took a couple of steps backwards. So, perhaps that had something to do with it. He is still in CHF, has a-fib, etc., but he is definitely not depressed. Hope this helps!
Marybeth

Hi PeterBBandy-

Wasn't sure if your surgery is scheduled for the 21 or not. Let us know and someone will put the date on the calendar.

I want to wish you best of luck with your surgery. We'll all be waiting to hear how everything went. I hope someone can post for you.

Dear Peter Bandy
First of all let me wiah you well and a sppedy recovery when you have your surger. All of us here will be thinking of you on your big day. Welcome too to the growing number of us who have had both AVR and bypass surgery. When I first posted here in August..there was only one person who had both surgeries at the same time..there are now about 3 or 4.I am 311/2 months post op and I'm doing very well. I am in rehaab 3X a week and gradually getting both stamina and strength. I was very fortunate not to have any depression after surgery at all. I was prepared that it might happen..but I think that I was so elated to be able to walk without the terrible shortness of breath and chest pain..that I was actually on a "high" I was also concerned about memory loss..and again I was fortunate..I had no problem..I'm still "sharp as tack"..just ask my poor husband of 50 years..I unforrrrtunatly remember everything..LOL!!
I don't believe the recovery from the AVR/bypass is much different than the recovery of having either surgery alone. Once you've been "opened up..its all the same.
We look forward to hearing from you soon after your surgery. This is a wonderful group of people!!
Joan
AVR..St Jude Toronto Stentless Porcine Valve and triple Bypass

Back