Diet, Lifestyle, and Heart Disease,

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't need 'peer reviewed' studies to understand the science linking carbohydrates to heart disease.
Peer reviewed studies that can be replicated are the core of the scientific process. As I said, most of your posts look to me to be opinion, not science. You and those you quote are entitled to your opinion. If you want to see what science says about low carb diets, this short video reviews both a meta analysis of studies and one that directly compared vegetarians to those following a low carb diet. At the end of the study, the vegetarian group showed a reversal of artheriosclerotic plaque, the low carb diet group showed significant increase in blockages in their arteries.

http://nutritionfacts.org/video/low-carb-diets-and-coronary-blood-flow/

And here is a list of what leading medical groups think of the Atkins diet (the original low carb diet):
http://www.atkinsexposed.org/
The problem for Atkins (and his sheepdog), though, is that the National Academy of Sciences, the most prestigious scientific body in the United States, agrees with the AMA and the ADA in opposing the Atkins Diet.[13] So does theAmerican Cancer Society;[14] and the American Heart Association;[15] and the Cleveland Clinic;[16] and Johns Hopkins;[17] and the American Kidney Fund;[18] and the American College of Sports Medicine;[19] and the National Institutes of Health.[20]

In fact there does not seem to be a single major governmental or nonprofit medical, nutrition, or science-based organization in the world that supports the Atkins Diet.[21] As a 2004 medical journal review concluded, the Atkins Diet "runs counter to all the current evidence-based dietary recommendations."[22]

AZ Don;n859889 said:
As I said, most of your posts look to me to be opinion, not science.

Soaring rates of obesity, type II diabetes, heart disease, cancer etc etc have all been linked to high carbohydrate consumption.

If you want to put all your stock in 'research studies' that present a biased analysis of the science (and are frequently funded by pharmaceutical and food industries), then that is your prerogative.

Myself, I like to dig a little deeper into the 'SCIENCE ITSELF' so that I am better able to reach 'my own conclusions'. This is an approach encouraged by my GP, who also refuses to be a mouthpiece for big business.

Does any of this apply to BAVrs who have no concomitant Coronary Artery Disease but slowly progressing aortic valve stenosis?
McCbon
Offhand I don't know of any evidence that it does. The causes for stenosis in a native valve are multiple and complex. I think there has been some speculation that K2 may help slow the process by directing the calcium to the bones rather than the valve. That was discussed not too long ago. I believe the causes for stenosis in a tissue replacement valve are related to age, activity level and immune system level.

If you want to put all your stock in 'research studies' that present a biased analysis of the science (and are frequently funded by pharmaceutical and food industries), then that is your prerogative.
Who do you think is funding the studies that I reference, the vegetable lobby? ;-)

Myself, I like to dig a little deeper into the 'SCIENCE ITSELF' so that I am better able to reach 'my own conclusions'. This is an approach encouraged by my GP, who also refuses to be a mouthpiece for big business.

And I have to say, it has paid off (my arteries were crystal clear when they did an angiogram pre surgery).
I completely agree. Glad that what you are doing is working for you.

AZ Don;n859895 said:
Who do you think is funding the studies that I reference, the vegetable lobby? ;-)

I think it is only natural that the interpretation of the data will reflect a particular bias (and from what I understand, Michael Greger is vegan).

I think a low carb, high healthy fat vegan diet can be a great choice (walnuts, avacados etc). Equally, (especially for an athlete or someone recovering from OHS), a diet that incorporates grass fed beef and/or fish can also work well. Carbs can have their place but I view them as non-essential and mostly junk.

I think it is only natural that the interpretation of the data will reflect a particular bias (and from what I understand, Michael Greger is vegan).

I think a low carb, high healthy fat vegan diet can be a great choice (walnuts, avacados etc). Equally, (especially for an athlete or someone recovering from OHS), a diet that incorporates grass fed beef and/or fish can also work well. Carbs can have their place but I view them as non-essential and mostly junk.
We're not so far apart. Until recently I considered fish healthy and I'll still choose it over other meats, but have since seen some evidence that makes me think it is no better. I try to watch out for bias, everyone has it.

Latest posts

Back