Coumadin and gallbladder disease

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nancy

When Joe had his recent consultation with the General Surgeon in prep for gallbladder surgery, the doc remarked that some people who have been on Coumadin for a long time develop gallbladder disease.

I'd appreciate your comments.

Coumadin and gall bladder disease

Coumadin and gall bladder disease

Nancy, to the best of my knowledge there never has been a documented study indicating a cause and efffect relationship between long term coumadin ingestion and gall bladder disease. Lets see what Al has to say. Also, ask your doctor for a reference to the literature if he has one ; I'd like to check it out.

Hi Marty-

I spent a lot of time looking for links between Coumadin and gallbladder disease. There was one that was intriguing, but I don't think that this particular problem is what Joe has, at least I hope not, but it is regarding a patient who has a valve replacement and also is on anticoagulation. He developed Hemorrhagic Gangrenous Cholecystitis, here's the link and they do seem to find a correlation between the two.

http://brighamrad.harvard.edu/Cases/bwh/hcache/45/full.html

I probably won't see the surgeon again until the day of surgery. But I'll be very interested in what the pathology of his gallbladder shows.

Nancy,
I just wanted to send best wishes to your husband.
I don't know anything about the gall bladder and coumadin although I would be interested in knowing. I read the link. Interesting.
Missy

Thanks. Great reference!

Thanks. Great reference!

Nancy, thanks .... you are amazing. Did you ever work as a medical reference librarian? The article is very interesting and even though I do ultrasound and go to a lot of meetings I missed this case. I see a lot of diseased gall bladders and I'm going to check from now on whether the patients are on coumadin. None of my surgeons have ever told me about any of our patients who have had hemorrhagic cholecystitis. It's very rare and I doubt Joe has it either. But the pathologist after his surgery will have the answer.

Not a librarian. My background is in commercial interior design and space planning, doing all types of businesses, doctor's and dentist's offices and even hospitals.

I love the computer, and think the internet is absolutely amazing. Joe's illnesses have led me far and wide for information. There's a wealth of info. on the in www., just takes a little sifting through.

It'll be interesting to see if there is any link between the two things, though.

Anybody on this site and also on Coumadin have an acting-up gallbladder?

Back