Aspirin and ulcer

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerlily

Hi, not sure if I should post here or somewhere else but hope this is OK. I have just been diagnosed today with a stomach ulcer. I'm not sure what caused it but I'll know more about this next week when the full report comes in. I had a scope of my esophagus and stomach this morning. I would have sworn something was wrong with my esophagus and was surprised to find out it was fine but I have an ulcer. For now, I'm starting Prilosec. I had an aortic tissue valve replacement in 06 and have been taking a coated aspirin 81 mg ever since. Never any problems before now. I'm wondering if there is anything else I could take instead of aspirin, at least while my stomach is healing. Has anyone had some experience with this? Thanks.

Although i can't answer this, im curious..what were your symptoms that had you get this checked out?

I'm 25 with a mechanical valve, but I've always had terrible acid reflux so I'm curious.

I use to take the coated asprin as well till it inflamed my stomach lining extremely bad , I had my stomach scoped and my intestinal dr had me switch from coated aspirin to ecotrin says they digest diff.. it cost a lil more but is worth it , stomach feels better but i still suffer from oning reflux that i have had even before heart surgery

Ae you asking about needing the aspirin because of your tissue valve? If so many people, especially younger than the age many doctors like to start everyone on aspirin, do not need or take aspirin just because they have a tissue valve after a certin time frame post op. Justin doesn't take any meds at all and if you search asprin here there are a few threads asking if all people with tissue valves need aspirin,and many dont. So I would ask your doctor but my guess would be you probably dont need it if that is theonly reason you take the aspirin, especially since you have an ulcer

Thanks everyone for your replies. For Ovie, my symptoms were the feeling that something was stuck in my throat and a lot of belching. I've had some problems in the past that I was able to get over pretty quickly but the feeling of something stuck in my esophagus was new. I'm 59 and doing fine with my heart valve. I'm hoping I can come off of the aspirin at least until the ulcer is gone. I haven't talked with my cardio yet as I just had the scope that diagnosed the ulcer three days ago. I guess what I really want to know is do I have to stay on the baby aspirin. I'll see what the cardio has to say.

Did they check for a bacteria called H. Pylori? While aspirin can cause ulcers, H. Pylori is a known cause of ulcers.

Debbie

They took me off of the aspirin

They took me off of the aspirin

My cardiologist told me I can come off the aspirin permanently. Wow, I've been taking that for the past 6 years like my life depended on it. Very strange. I am having a culture done to see if this was caused by H Pylori. Let you guys known if that is the case in hopes that this thread might help someone else.

Curious to know the outcome of your tests, tigerlily. I'm on aspirin, too...would be nice if I didn't have to take it.

Cort | 38.m.IL | pigValve + paceMaker + cowValve | 5 MCs + 1 Caprice Classic
CHD.MCs.CC + RoadTrips.hobbies.RadioShows.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
* rNwJumpStartCruzNite | 5:30-10:30p; SAT, 05/12/12 | BeefVilla, 1225 W Spring St, S Elgin IL *
"It's only a matter of time" __ Mariah Carey __ 'Always Be My Baby'

I think the researchers now think that the lion's share of stomach ulcers are caused by heliobacter pylori (bacteria). But ASA does cause gastric bleeding, and does often upset the stomach lining, so it's likely contra-indicated while an ulcer is present, regardless of the cause. (Just my logical theory, mind you.)

I use to take the coated asprin as well till it inflamed my stomach lining extremely bad , I had my stomach scoped and my intestinal dr had me switch from coated aspirin to ecotrin says they digest diff.. it cost a lil more but is worth it , stomach feels better but i still suffer from oning reflux that i have had even before heart surgery

Ecotin IS coated aspirin.

Shirley how long did you take the coated aspirin for before your stomach inflammation?

Latest posts

Back