Alcohol

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carbomedic

Fellow VRs
I have different views/rules on drinking alcohol on Coumadin. My brother who has been on it for 5 years drinks, but mire conservatively, friends doctor says no, websites both.
Whats have you been told?
carbo

Carbo,

I was told I could have a glass of wine or two per week. I also have a Margarita when I feel like having one with Mexican food, but don't overdo. I can't drink like I used to anyways. One is enough for me otherwise they'd have to carry mre home.

Christina
Congenital Aortic Stenosis
AVR's 8/7/00 & 8/18/00
St. Jude's Mechanical

Hi Carbo,

I have been on Coumadin for 2 years now. I drink one or 2 drinks a night on weekdays. But, on weekends, I don't count how many drinks I have, beer or mixed drinks. I have not had any problems with my Coumadin, or INR levels.

As far as what I have been told, my doctors, surgeon and cardiologist, told me a few (2) drinks a day would not be a problem.

The 2 drink a day limit applies to anyone. It is the recommended guide line from the American Heart Association. If you were a perfectly health person, and asked your doctor that question, his response would be 2 per day.

Rob

My surgeons words were, 'a glass of wine once in awhile is fine". I take a pretty high dose of warfarin and since it's processed in the liver I have been told by the coumadin nurse that regular drinking of alcohol would not be good for the liver. Makes sense to me so I don't have much of any kind of alcohol anymore. A glass of wine or one drink is my limit and only occationally.
Gail

I had heard it both ways prior to my surgery and made a point to discuss it with my doctor. He said that he didn't see any problem drinking in moderation while on Coumadin. He also said whatever I did, be consistent so as not to screw up my PT/INR levels.
I enjoy a couple of glasses of red wine with dinner most evenings and maybe one or two more on the weekend.
:)

Back