abcess tooth anyone?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joy

Hey guys, how is everyone? I have a question about dental procedures. I have a VERY painful tooth that needs a root canal done on it. How can I tell if it is abcess or not? I have an appointment tomorrow with my dentist to have him look at it.

Last night It hurt so bad the pain went up my jaw, and that whole side hurt. I don't have a fever, and it's not swollen, but I don't understand why it is deteriorating so fast? I do everything I am supposed to do, I even cut WAY back on my soda intake and drink like 2 gallons of water every day now, instead of wild cherry pepsi, or pepsi twist. I floss, I brush, I use their mouthwash, what else can I do to stop this. I am afraid of it going to my new valve or worst yet, going into CHF all over again. You guys all know how much fun that is! Just wondering.

Hi Joy-

I don't think you can prevent many abcesses. I've had somewhere around 7 root canals. I have soft teeth and have a lot of fillings. Sometimes microscopic cracks can happen in the filling and that lets in bacteria. when it hits the root, there you go, on your way to a root canal. It isn't anything you can see with the naked eye, it all goes on internally within the tooth.

I take the best care I possibly can with my teeth. I've spent a fortune at the dentist. I use a water pik almost every day at the highest level. I have great gums, but nothing I did could stop the root canal work.

It is worth it to save your own teeth, though. Sometimes the dentist can alleviate the abcess with antibiotics, but the best way is with a root canal. If it's not taken care of, it could cause a larger infection, involving more teeth.

I wish you luck with the situation.

Swollen gums

Swollen gums

I have a small amount of blood on tissue when I first get up in the mornings from my mouth. First time, panic, off to E.R. nothing to be concerned about my surgery. Cardiologist on 3 month checkup said he wasn.t concerened. Off to ENT doctor..Many test on sinuses, ect. Zero....Now I look real close every morning and have noticed my bottom gums are swollen and bleed when I brush...I read in a book called..Symptoms..their Causes and Cures from Prevention Magazine the following..Certain medications cn cause gums to bleed or swell..ect. tells the source. Medications that can cause problems include medications for high blood pressure and HEART disease. I don't bleed during the day. Just thinking it accumalates at night..but I still have an appointment with Gastro man on Sept. 16th or earlier if I feel it necessary (ENT Doctor said he would call for me) Perks of being an open-heart patient:D Little long but thought it worth noting about medication making gums bleed. Bonnie

I also thought I had an abcessed tooth recently, but then found it it was due to bone loss from periodontal causes and am now being treated for that.

However, my cardiologist just told me today (although I had already heard it somewhere before, maybe on this site) that I (and anyone with a valve condition like ours) must take prophylactic antibiotics not only before dental work, but whenever we have any dental problems such as abcesses, etc. Also, he even told me to take antibiotics for any presence, or possible cause, of infection, such as cuts, exposure to contaminated bacterial sources, etc.

For this purpose, he wrote me a 'standing order' prescription for Amoxicillin. I was a bit surprised by the extent of this recommendation.

However, a close friend of mine recently told me that her Dad, who is now 80 and had valve replacement 15 years ago, has come down with endocarditis. Although they've managed to control the endocarditis through heavy doses of antibiotics, those have now damaged his kidneys and he is now on dialysis and at risk of losing his life.

It seems that in this case, as with life in general, an ounce of prevention truly is worth a pound of cure, if not more.

In any case, check with your cardiologist about the antibiotics.

Hope this helps,

Back