.............57 years

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dick0236

Eat the elephant one bite at a time
Supporting Member
This AM 57 years ago I was being surgically prepped for a mechanical valve implanto_O. I still have that original mechanical valve:).

My surgeon told me the valve was tested to last 50 years and that should be enough time since life expectancy in 1967 was about 73 years......giving me about 8 years to spare, as I was then 31 . I thought he was just trying to make me feel good and I thought it would last no more than 20 years and was not aware that re-ops were possible. I am glad he was more right than me.....and really glad we were both wrong. I have now had that valve about 2/3 of my life and would make the same choice if I was 31 years old again.

1. Warfarin management is not a big deal.....especially since the INR system and home testing were introduced.
2. I eat just about anything I want.....except for snails and raw oysters....yuck!
3. At my current age(88) my activity level has declined, but, as a younger man I did what you would expect a younger man to do....both good and bad.
4. Most importantly, my mechanical valve has kept me off an operating table for re-ops or a slab in the morgue.

When I had the surgery there were very limited choices for valves....as I recall there was only one valve on the market so my valve choice was very easy to make. Today there are many choices (maybe too many), so choose intelligently, especially if you need the valve for "the long hall".

Happy Anniversary

I'm glad that back then they did not put a bio in you back when you were a young man...

a patient cured.jpg

as I have little doubt you'd be as healthy are you are now (as you'd probably had needed 2 more surgeries). 38, 50, 65 ... then what?

Live long and Prosper

Last edited:
This AM 57 years ago I was being surgically prepped for a mechanical valve implanto_O. I still have that original mechanical valve:).

My surgeon told me the valve was tested to last 50 years and that should be enough time since life expectancy in 1967 was about 73 years......giving me about 8 years to spare, as I was then 31 . I thought he was just trying to make me feel good and I thought it would last no more than 20 years and was not aware that re-ops were possible. I am glad he was more right than me.....and really glad we were both wrong. I have now had that valve about 2/3 of my life and would make the same choice if I was 31 years old again.

1. Warfarin management is not a big deal.....especially since the INR system and home testing were introduced.
2. I eat just about anything I want.....except for snails and raw oysters....yuck!
3. At my current age(88) my activity level has declined, but, as a younger man I did what you would expect a younger man to do....both good and bad.
4. Most importantly, my mechanical valve has kept me off an operating table for re-ops or a slab in the morgue.

When I had the surgery there were very limited choices for valves....as I recall there was only one valve on the market so my valve choice was very easy to make. Today there are many choices (maybe too many), so choose intelligently, especially if you need the valve for "the long hall".

Hey wait a minute... I thought at the 50 year mark they give you a new Lexus or something. :)

So what type of valve did they implant back in 1967? Was it the ball in cage?

Hey wait a minute... I thought at the 50 year mark they give you a new Lexus or something. :)

So what type of valve did they implant back in 1967? Was it the ball in cage?
No Lexus so I'll just keep driving my Volvo

The valve is the Starr-Edwards "ball-in-cage" valve model 1020 that started open heart valve surgery in 1960. About 800,000 were produced and Edwards Lifesciences Inc. discontinued the valve in 2007. I understand that there are still many of these valves still operating and there may be one older than mine out there.

The last time I checked, my valve beats the Guinness Record by about one year if the English lady is still alive. Several years ago I looked into applying for the record but the cost of providing the supporting records was too steep for me. Besides, our family already has one Guinness Record holder.....my grand daughters husband, Darren Manning, holds the Record for driving a car 100 mph.....in Reverse gear......and yes, they did have to rework the transmission to pull it off. Darren, before his retirement, was an Open Wheel Race Car driver......he once placed 10th in the Indy 500.

No Lexus so I'll just keep driving my Volvo

The valve is the Starr-Edwards "ball-in-cage" valve model 1020 that started open heart valve surgery in 1960. About 800,000 were produced and Edwards Lifesciences Inc. discontinued the valve in 2007. I understand that there are still many of these valves still operating and there may be one older than mine out there.

The last time I checked, my valve beats the Guinness Record by about one year if the English lady is still alive. Several years ago I looked into applying for the record but the cost of providing the supporting records was too steep for me. Besides, our family already has one Guinness Record holder.....my grand daughters husband, Darren Manning, holds the Record for driving a car 100 mph.....in Reverse gear......and yes, they did have to rework the transmission to pull it off. Darren, before his retirement, was an Open Wheel Race Car driver......he once placed 10th in the Indy 500.
You are an inspiration to us all! My valve is a St. Jude’s and is 35 years. Got it on when I was 18.

You are an inspiration to us all! My valve is a St. Jude’s and is 35 years. Got it on when I was 18.
Thanks for your post. With 35 years "under your belt" and a lot of years ahead of you I am sure you will beat my record and I hope you do. BTW, I see that you are new to this Forum. If you are like me you stumbled around for years trying to find information and support from other valve patients until we found Forums like this one. This Forum is a great place for info and support so I hope you stick around and help others on this journey.

YogiSue -- I'm sorry that I disagree with 'inspiration to us all!!!.' I'm sorry Dick, if I don't see it that way.

What's inspiring, I guess, is Dick's longevity with the valve. I don't think he did anything particularly unusual except keep living. I'm glad to see that this criterion was reached.

It's like being inspired by a couple celebrating their 75th wedding anniversary -- a lot of this is really due to longevity - and getting along with your spouse. I'm sure that there are a lot of good marriages out there that would have been great if one of the spouses didn't die along the way.

Dick - you should be rewarded for having a valve that keeps working (and I hope that it will continue to tick until it's time for a trade in - maybe another 10-50 years). I'm thinking that your reward should be a 50+ year old car -- made the same year as your valve.

In any case, congratulations on this annual milestone. (My valve is about to turn 33 in 4 days).

What's inspiring, I guess, is Dick's longevity with the valve. I don't think he did anything particularly unusual except keep living. I'm glad to see that this criterion was reached.

It's like being inspired by a couple celebrating their 75th wedding anniversary -- a lot of this is really due to longevity - and getting along with your spouse......

........ I'm thinking that your reward should be a 50+ year old car -- made the same year as your valve.

....... (My valve is about to turn 33 in 4 days).
You are correct about living a "normal" life. I was in my early thirties after OHS and "I didn't know what I didn't know" and lived without worrying about warfarin(Coumadin in the early days), mostly ignoring diet restrictions and, frankly, stretched the limits some.

You are correct in that a strong wife and family relationship adds to a long life. My wife and I recently celebrated our 67th wedding anniversary. 75 years may be a stretch.....but who knows.

Your comment about the car reminded me of my first car. It was also my age......a fifteen year old '37 chevy and I was born in '36.......cost me $150. I wonder if it is still running around somewhere.....probably not!

Congrats on your upcoming 33rd valve anniversary. One thing is for sure, these mechanical valves are built for the "long haul.

Thanks for your post. With 35 years "under your belt" and a lot of years ahead of you I am sure you will beat my record and I hope you do. BTW, I see that you are new to this Forum. If you are like me you stumbled around for years trying to find information and support from other valve patients until we found Forums like this one. This Forum is a great place for info and support so I hope you stick around and help others on this journey.
Will do, thanks and yes, I do wish I found this group much earlier. My first open heart surgery was at the age of 9. I found this group only a few weeks ago! Wishing you continued health!

Bravo!! What a great story!!

Yesterday was 33 years for me. I almost forgot about it.

I probably did almost the same thing as Dick did -- stayed alive long enough to mark this milestone. The only inspiration that I can see anyone getting from MY milestone is that the valve kept working in my chest for 33 years. There are people on this forum whose St. Jude Aortic valves have been in their chests for longer than my 33 years. Personally, I may lose my battle with heart issues long before the valve hits 40 years (and probably sooner than that) - and I would be very surprised if mine lasted anywhere NEAR what Dick's valve has already provided him - but it's good to see an example of longevity - and long valve operation - in this early 'adopter.'

So, FWIW, congratulations, Dick - and kudos to your valve.

Latest posts

Back