Who's Watching Cholesterol?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Perrster

As I promised, here are the results of my past three month battle with high cholesterol issues. I guess the result is based on doing the right stuff like exercise, no smokin', very little drinkin', reduction of animal proteins and introduction of soy protein in my daily diet.

One year ago my (total) was 266. Three months ago it was 241 and today I just tested a new (total) of 204. My "lousy" (LDL) is still borderline but has dropped from the higher end of being borderline. My "happy" (HDL) dropped somewhat so I will be working on that.

Nevertheless, I am pretty darn happy with the fact my doctor advised a daily dose of Red Yeast Rice (started just 3 months ago) and also a 25g daily dose of Soy Protein (started just 2 months ago). While he is not opposed to prescription statins, I am grateful he has allowed me to take the "natural" course at this time.

Staying healthy now takes an awful lot of work when once upon a time I could give a hoot what I put or poured in my mouth. I paid dearly for these results this morning as my Coumadin Clinic nurse couldn't get a big enough vein and had to switch arms and then used my hand. Owwee!

FYI: I got an INR test at the same time this morning and I am fine as far as my Coumadiin therapy goes, so none of the above has affected or been affected by my Coumadin.

Here's to our VR.COM health!

Hi Perry,

Glad to hear your Cholesterol is dong better. That was never my problem but I have tried to watch more of what I eat or drink. In fact I just had a complete bloodwork done a month ago, and my good and bad cholesterol were good. I do use soy milk as a substitute for regular milk. It doesn't taste bad. I started doing that last winter. I was always use to using natural remedies versus the over the counter cures. A good friend of mine is a Naturalist and Herbologist. She has taught seminars on the medicinal purposes of natural plants. She also has a massage table and has done seminars on the healing touch.
I had my blood test done today for Coumadin too. It was at 3.4 so now they're happy. I'm on 10mg, 7.5 mg every other day though so they want me back there in two weeks to see what my reading will be then. It's too bad you still have to have it done through the vein. My doctors office had got one of those Coagucheck machines. I rather get jabbed with that, then have to have them take blood from my veins all the time. My veins wiggle as soon as they stick the needle in. I look like a pin cushion when I'm done. Well glad to here all is well. We'll see you in a couple of weeks in Nashville.

Perry, please educate me about red yeast rice. Lipitor, BTW, is made from it and probably the others, too. How much red yeast rice do you take? And what is soy protein? Please let me hear from you as I would prefer your route.

Had my levels checked couple wks ago and they were all up!! Went straight out and refilled my Lipitor, but it gave me horrible cramps after the first few mos and would love to go another route. Thanks God bless

Janie - Mine cost $85.52 w/a wee discount and that's dang too much. The only thing about the red yeast rice is that you don't know how much to take to equal what's in the Lipitor. That was my prblm. Apparently I wasn't getting enough. Since Perry's dr told him to take it, maybe he's got an answer re the mgs per day. Most drs don't know about this type of med, if we just run out, buy it, take it, we are shooting in the dark. And since it's not regulated, again we are shooting, etc.

BTW, you can get all these meds at an herb store. Also found a bood explaining all these herbal meds and what they are for. Cost about $15 and worth it.

Last edited:
Natural Stuff

Natural Stuff

I'll do my best to pass on this info., however you guys gotta promise to ask your doctors about taking this stuff!!! I think you could experience more serious problems if you were to like just stop your Lipitors, etc. and replace it with these natural things. As wonderful as my doctor was to start me on the RYRice, he explained that there are "good" things that the prescription statins do and he was not opposed to having me on them if the natural thing didn't work.

So just be careful, my friends. Many cardios and docs still believe that natural healing is "quackerie!"

Nevertheless, a good place to start is at the www.dr.weil.com site. (My doctor is currently studying under him at the Univ. of Arizona). He gave me a copy of a 3-page Dr. Weil Self Healing article "Controlling Cholesterol Naturally." I've read this thing over and over and I'm still referring to it. Not sure if you will find this particular article on his site.

My RYRice costs about $9.00 (1-mo. supply/1200mg/1x day) and the Soy Protein Powder (roughly 15-day supply/25g day) is about $11.00 a can. The soy is a challenge to hide the wallpaper paste like taste, but every morning my wife makes us an incredible blender "smoothie" concoction of frozen banana, or other fruit and, of course soy milk (chocolate or vanilla)...mmm, I'm getting thirsty for one right now! She enjoys them too.

Do check out your local health food stores. They all carry RY Rice. Ask them questions. The people who run these stores are incredibly serious and very knowledgeable. I found that some brands of RY Rice are more expensive and I paid almost $30 for my first bottle. This is my current brand: www.21stcenturyvitamins.com/

If you wish to stick to the internet, do a search of the words "red yeast rice." I joined GNC and now get a discount on the Protein purchases. Try www.gnc.com www.genisoy.com

Mara and Lorraine are on much the same page. Perhaps they can add more light on the subject.

Good luck and happy educating!

Cheers!

p.s. Sounds goofy, but I'm worried how I'm going to get the breakfast chef at the hotel in Nashville to make my smoothies. I just may have to bring my blender!

I'll try to add what I know. My doctor trained with Andy Weil, too. He does complimentary or innovative medicine. I did a bunch of nutritional IV's before my surgery and am still doing some now, along with supplements and stuff like that.

i have not done anything with red yeast rice. But I can say that my 3.5 days in the hosptital post-op was pretty darn good.

A lot of regular docs dismiss these kinds of therapies as too looney, but they really work. I have never felt better. i know a big part was the surgery, but the nutritionals have really helped me bounce back. And I am huge proponent of "better living through chemistry, " so go figure.

All I can say is find a doc who does this kind of practice and see what he or she says.

I have started to supplement my diet with soy protein, too. There are several good cereals out there, Harmony, Quaker makes an instant oatmeal...they all say "nutrition for women" on them.
Plus, there are some great ice cream sandwich-type things called Tofootie Cuties that are made with soy milk that are delicious, low cal - high protein! So, it's not hard to add soy to your diet. Perry's smoothies are a good way, too. Women are supposed to benefit from soy. it is supposed to help with menopause and those things.

Good luck and do the research.

cholesterol on the rise

cholesterol on the rise

Before my surgery in May 2000, my cholesterol was never over 150. It has been slowly on the rise since. 6 months ago it was 216 and it is 222 now. I can't figure out why. I eat better than before and exercise about the same.

Doc is putting me on 40mg zocor. I asked if it interfered with toprol, altace or coumadin and he said no. Anybody got any poop good or bad on Zocor?

He's back........

He's back........

Hey Dick....

Not sure how much of this will help....
All I can add is that when your taking a beta blocker or similar medication your metabolism is greatly slowed. Thus, your body is not processing as it would under normal circumstances. Hence a potential hike in your cholesterol, and oh yes weight gain.

After gaining since starting a Beta Blocker.... my MD wants me to offset with exercise. So.... let the program begin. Also had me consult with a dietitian to safely manage weight loss while on the Coumadin. I highly recommend this to everyone.

My MD also will not prescribe cholesterol lowering meds as a 'preventive' ritual so patients can go ahead and continue to eat whatever their hearts desire. Family member of mine practices this. Weight continues to mount. In my docs words 'Your only cheating yourself'.

Well, on that note, going to forget about medical issues and go enjoy myself.
Happy New Year to you all.

Last edited:
Dick -

I have had the same problem - cholesterol going up steadily after my valve replacement. Was put on 40 mg. of Zocor in May, 2001 and by September my cholesterol had gone from 285 to 180. I also take Toprol in addition to Coumadin (also take Cozaar for blood pressure). My cardiologist had no problem with me taking Zocor. His only suggestion was to take the Zocor at night (when cholesterol is forming) and take everything else in the morning. Before that I had been taking my coumadin in the evening. Biggest pain with the Zocor is having to go in for liver function tests every three months. Coumadin levels adjusted quickly enough after starting to take it in the morning, with the other pills.

Gina is right, the slower metabolism from 100 mg of Toprol is a cause of the cholesterol increase and a weight increase. Rigid exercise is starting to control the weight but I am still "up" about 20 lbs. (rigid to me, not to you or people like Robthatsme). Going into the hospital for emergency aneurism and valve surgery also was a reason to quit smoking so everything tastes better today than a year and a half ago so that is also probably a factor in my increases.

Lots of luck.

Andy

Hi Everyone,

Well, guess I should include my experience with this issue.

My cholesterol has been going down since my surgery. In fact, the doctor made a note on my lab work after my last checkup, that complemented me on it going down.

I have not changed my diet drastically, I still exercise 5 days a week, as I did before surgery. I take beta blockers and coumadin.

Go figure....

Happy New Year,
Rob

My wife reminded me that my c level of 220 might have something to do with me eating about 100 lbs of mixed nuts that are around the house ovber the holiday season. Andy and I are both on Toprol and Coumadin (and now Zocor) I am also on Altace.

Rob, what beta blocker are you taking??

Hi Dick,

I take a 50 mg Atenolol Betablocker, 5 mg Coumadin, 1000 mg Vit "C", 400 units Vit "E", a Centrum multivit, and a 325 mg enteric Aspirin daily.

Ohh, and a beer or 2. <smile>

Rob

Rob...I never knew you were so healthy:D.

Your Centrium, wondering if it contains K? The only OTC multi I can locate without K..... is One a Day Woman's. Suppose you would just adjust your Coumadin accordingly if supplementation included K.

Hi Gina,

I have been taking all those meds since surgery almost 2 years ago, so I would think that my Coumadin dose is already taking any Vit K into consideration.

Seems I take more vitimins than prescription meds.. lol.

I think that offsets the vitimin depletion from the alcohol. hehehe~

Rob

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year (from my little hound dog, Gyzmo and me) to all my friends at vr.com!

I'll take another Cholesterol reading in March to see how all the "ingredients" are working. I will surely post the results for you all.

The Centrums that Rob and I take only contain 10mcg (micrograms!) of Vit K so it really isn't much to worry about. I tried one multi-vitamin for awhile (sold at my doc's office!) that had 40mcg vitK. That was not good. INR got out of whack and my wife figured out what it was at the time.

Other than that, I'm still on 12-1/2mg Toprol, 25mg Digoxin, 10mg Altace, 85mg Ecotrin, and the unforgettable Warfarin (alternating 2.5 and 5.0) daily.

So far so good...knock on wood...feeling pretty good...working out...looking forward to golf season...5K/10K events starting in April.

I'm currently concentrating on strength training. I don't think I'll compare muscles with Rob but he really helped me get my routine off the ground!

Cheerio.

Back