Trifecta early failure

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredW

Premium Level User
Supporting Member
Last July I had my 8th anniversary of my artificial Trifecta Aorta heart valve. I was 72 and went with a tissue valve thinking I would get 12 - 20 years from it. I was wrong.

As you may know this valve has been recalled. Two years ago my cardiologist said I had some deterioration of the valve. I told him then that I needed to stay alive for I had taken on the primary job of caring for my wife who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. His answer was something else would get me before my valve would fail. He was wrong.

Last year I learned of the recall. On my next visit, my cardiologist said nothing about the recall. I asked about my echo results and he said it was slightly worse, but echo tests often varied some. I asked him about the recall. He said some fail earlier than others and when they start to fail, some degrade fast, others not so fast.

I’m an ex engineer and like data, facts, and honestly. I felt my cardiologist was either keeping information from me or was not fully honest with me. Or, maybe he was not up to date on matters.

Six months later I talked to my GP about it. She pulled the echo report and I found out my valve area was .86, which is in the serious area.

That and having too much shortness of breath, I decided to seek another opinion. It took a while. I changed GP and he plugged me in with a new cardiologist who scheduled another echo test and Cath test.

The echo test reported “significant stenosis’, the new cardiologist said it needed replaced, sooner than later. The Cath test would focus on determining other issues and if I could be a candidate for TVAR. They found no new clogged arteries. (In 2022 I had a stent put in and a bypass in 2016 when they had me open for SVAR).

Today I had a upper body CT scan and cardioid artery dropper to further qualify me for TVAR. I will meet with the doctors next Monday. I hope to have TVAR on 9/3.

I have symptoms most of the time now. I play pickleball three times a week and really feel it on the court. I have cut back on how hard I work and play. I know the stress of caregiving doesn’t help, but I do want to outlive my wife.

My new cardiologist said that having an artificial valve may be better for TVAR than a natural one for the titanium ring of the Trifecta valve will give the TVAR valve some solid structural to push up against.

Has anyone on the forum had TVAR on a Trifecta valve?

If I survive this, I will report back on my experience.

sorry to read of the early valve failure ... 8 years wow

have you had your Lp(a) levels tested? I think its important to have that done, now that we know its highly correlated (near causally) with early onset of SVD ... at 72 I'd expect you to have gotten more like 10-15 not less than 10. So I'd push for that test as it may just make the lifespan of a TAVR valve more like 5 ... I'm assuming you aren't a candidate for SAVR and a mech?

for what its worth I'm pretty sure you'll be surviving this.

Best Wishes

Hi Fred, I am sorry to read about your valve failing. I also have a Trifecta and I am nine years out. My last echo showed increased gradients so I am scheduled for another echo soon to determine the rate of deterioration of the valve. I'm 75 so I suppose they will recommend TAVR if I need it. I'm not sure, though if I will be a TAVR candidate since I have a Bentall with two CABG and leaflet obstruction of coronary ostium could be problematic. Please keep us informed about your options.

Jim

I told him then that I needed to stay alive for I had taken on the primary job of caring for my wife who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. …

Has anyone on the forum had TVAR on a Trifecta valve?

Caregiving is a noble and loving action, and I personally understand how challenging it can be. Having done this for the past seven years to my oldest sister (93 years old) who lives with me and my husband, I know the sacrifices and the emotional and mental toll it takes.
Sending you my heartfelt wishes and positive thoughts, and I look forward to hearing your good news soon. You shall be fine! 🙏

Caregiving is a noble and loving action, and I personally understand how challenging it can be. Having done this for the past seven years to my oldest sister (93 years old) who lives with me and my husband, I know the sacrifices and the emotional and mental toll it takes.
Sending you my heartfelt wishes and positive thoughts, and I look forward to hearing your good news soon. You shall be fine! 🙏
Thanks, Eve, for the understanding. Caregiving is difficult enough. Watching Alzheimer’s take my wife piece by piece makes it a real challenge. I wish you the best with your sister.

Reactions: Eva
You've had quite an experience with your Trifecta valve. Sorry to hear your cardiologist didn't keep you informed about the recall. It's great you sought a second opinion and are taking proactive steps. How are you feeling about the upcoming TVAR procedure?

Latest posts

Back