TAVR vs Mini-AVR...My Delema

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macdaddy

Glen
TAVR vs Mini-AVR…My Delema.

So, in 2022, my GP didn’t like what she heard in my heart and asked to set me up with a Cardiologist for an exam. Went to the appointment, first thing, before she came in, they did an EKG. Drugs we recommended…I declined. More tests needed…okay…echocardiogram, chemical stress test, etc. Results were a “moderate” aortic stenosis. More drugs offered, once again declined. Were it not for the tests, I would have never known. I am 100% asymptomatic.

Doctor said “we will keep an eye on it, you are probably 10 years away from needing anything done. Went back 6 months later, pretty much the same…more drugs recommended, more drugs declined. Went back 8 months later, her assistant comes in the room and spouts of statistics I have never had explained to me, and summarizes I am now severe and need to schedule replacing the valve. “Who are you again?”, “I’m the doctor’s aid”.

Finally, the doctor comes in, tries to explain all the numbers to me, and comes to the same recommendation. So, I asked “what happened to 10 years?”, “It just goes that way sometimes”. “But I have no symptoms…none!” “Doesn’t matter.”

That is when the aid starts talking about TAVR, and I begin my research. A gentleman I met in the park directed me to this site; he had had a widow-maker and survived, with the insertion of a mechanical valve.

I had issues with my medical insurance that lead to some delays and I have finally been assigned my cardiac surgeon. Met with him today, great doctor (did my research) with lots of cred and experience. He introduced me to Mini-AVR, via an opening through the ribs. He is suggesting this over TAVR as I’ve got a bicuspid and, as he explained it, this makes it hard to get a “seat” for the TAVR as the larger leaf tends to push the device a little off center; leaving potential for mild leakage.

He also stated that with the TAVR, there is a 10% chance of needing a pacemaker, as there’s an electrical pathway to the heart that runs right next to where the valve will be expanded. This is much less likely with the Mini-AVR method.

He said the recovery is a little longer than TAVR, but not as involved as actually cracking the sternum. He said the valve statistically lasts longer than the TAVR, and in 15 years…if needed…they can then do a TAVR and there will be a great seat for it.

I turned 72 in April, in quite good shape (minus a few pounds) and very active. Still working 11-hour days, walking job sites, meeting with Customers, etc. I have been reading this site for well over a year; a LOT of very knowledgeable people in here, but I have never seen this procedure mentioned (at least not this exact term) and would really appreciate any helpful feedback.

He introduced me to Mini-AVR, via an opening through the ribs

It sounds like you are describing a mini thoracotomy. @Erwitchin is in recovery from this minimally invasive AVR technique. Hopefully she will give you her input.

I turned 72 in April, in quite good shape (minus a few pounds) and very active.
He is suggesting this over TAVR as I’ve got a bicuspid and, as he explained it, this makes it hard to get a “seat” for the TAVR as the larger leaf tends to push the device a little off center

Your surgeon is right. TAVR is not ideal for BAV. Also, you are young for TAVR. Given its relatively short life, it is better suited for those over 80 years old who are at high risk for OHS. You are still relatively young and healthy, so the short term fix is really not the way to go.

Hi! Welcome to a place you never wanted to be! I am glad your friend sent you here... there is a LOT of good info from good people.
Sorry about the delivery of the news and lack of education from your cardio team... but they aren't leading you astray from what I can tell.
I have known that I had a bicuspid valve since my mid 20s, but the function was always ok so it was just "keep an eye on it.. eventually it will need replacing... probably around 75 or so. "
It was that way until suddenly last December it wasn't. "You have severe stenosis and it needs to be replaced before something else gets damaged."
Do you remember playing with a garden hose and squeezing the end? Basically, that is what your stenotic valve is doing... spraying your blood way too fast against your ascending aorta like a pressure wash. I am glad you aren't feeling it, but with the current level of surgical expertise, it is considered safer and better to fix the valve while the rest of the organ is a healthy as possible.
My cardiologist gave me some info, including his TAVR and SAVR surgeons of usual choice, but then said... you seem smart. Do some research, let me know what you want to do.
I quickly found out that TAVR was NOT am option with a bicuspid aortic valve. Blue Cross /Blue Shield specifically excludes coverage for it. (For good reason - all-cause 2 year morbidity nearly triples when TAVR is done on a bicuspid aortic valve).
I also really wanted to avoid a cracked sternum (I am 51, I teach high school, I have a 70 lb dog, and trouble sitting still) so I found a Surgeon who specializes in minimally invasive open heart surgery. After agonizing over valve choice (non issue for you - the clear recommendation after age 70 is a bio-prosthetic) I had my mini-thoracotomy on June 12. Replaced the valve, spent 4 nights in the hospital (1 full day in ICU), and am walking around, driving, and doing pretty much what I want. I am supposed to avoid straining my right arm (10 lbs or less) for 2 more weeks.
The biggest issue I have had with recovery is the chest drainage tube wound isn't healing as well as we would like, so I am seeing a wound care clinic for that.

Let me know if you have any other questions for me!

Another option to consider is a mini-sternotomy. This is a procedure where only half of the sternum is opened and also the surgeon should close the sternum with Titanium plates (instead of wires) which fixates the sternum.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/conditions-services/heart-vascular/heart-surgery/sternal-plating

This is procedure is pretty much the standard in the major clinics for open heart surgery. I had both techniques and was back at work 2 weeks post surgery and riding my bike 6 weeks post surgery. Recovery was relatively quick, the sternum half's were stabilized and all I needed one day post surgery was just Tylenol. My surgeon told me that performing the surgery with full visibility would be his preference.

Hi! Welcome to a place you never wanted to be! I am glad your friend sent you here... there is a LOT of good info from good people.
Sorry about the delivery of the news and lack of education from your cardio team... but they aren't leading you astray from what I can tell.
I have known that I had a bicuspid valve since my mid 20s, but the function was always ok so it was just "keep an eye on it.. eventually it will need replacing... probably around 75 or so. "
It was that way until suddenly last December it wasn't. "You have severe stenosis and it needs to be replaced before something else gets damaged."
Do you remember playing with a garden hose and squeezing the end? Basically, that is what your stenotic valve is doing... spraying your blood way too fast against your ascending aorta like a pressure wash. I am glad you aren't feeling it, but with the current level of surgical expertise, it is considered safer and better to fix the valve while the rest of the organ is a healthy as possible.
My cardiologist gave me some info, including his TAVR and SAVR surgeons of usual choice, but then said... you seem smart. Do some research, let me know what you want to do.
I quickly found out that TAVR was NOT am option with a bicuspid aortic valve. Blue Cross /Blue Shield specifically excludes coverage for it. (For good reason - all-cause 2 year morbidity nearly triples when TAVR is done on a bicuspid aortic valve).
I also really wanted to avoid a cracked sternum (I am 51, I teach high school, I have a 70 lb dog, and trouble sitting still) so I found a Surgeon who specializes in minimally invasive open heart surgery. After agonizing over valve choice (non issue for you - the clear recommendation after age 70 is a bio-prosthetic) I had my mini-thoracotomy on June 12. Replaced the valve, spent 4 nights in the hospital (1 full day in ICU), and am walking around, driving, and doing pretty much what I want. I am supposed to avoid straining my right arm (10 lbs or less) for 2 more weeks.
The biggest issue I have had with recovery is the chest drainage tube wound isn't healing as well as we would like, so I am seeing a wound care clinic for that.

Let me know if you have any other questions for me!
Hi Erwitchin (gonna have to know about that nic sometime) and I very much appreciate your experience and insight. It was rather odd that the TAVR surgeon, never mentioned these things and I was only informed 24 hours before my appointment with the heart surgeon. The heart sugeon was very persuasive that this was the best route for me...and I grow more confident he has my best outcome in mind. Thank you.

I turned 72 in April, in quite good shape (minus a few pounds) and very active. Still working 11-hour days, walking job sites, meeting with Customers, etc.
I was your age about 20 years ago.....with a mechanical heart valve that was 40 years old and I could do what I did in my 50s (I thought). Now I am nearly 90 with that same heart valve (thankfully). Once I hit +/- 80 things began to change, not in a good way.......it is called "old age". IMO I would look at a "bio" valve like the new Edwards Inspirus which they say could last 20 years........then you could get a TAVR.

BTW, Edwards Lifesciences also built my mechanical valve as they were the first to bring an artificial heart valve to the market. They told me, in 1967, that my valve was designed to last 50 years.......it is almost 57 years old now......and still going strong.

Last edited:
Another option to consider is a mini-sternotomy. This is a procedure where only half of the sternum is opened and also the surgeon should close the sternum with Titanium plates (instead of wires) which fixates the sternum.

https://www.uchicagomedicine.org/conditions-services/heart-vascular/heart-surgery/sternal-plating

This is procedure is pretty much the standard in the major clinics for open heart surgery. I had both techniques and was back at work 2 weeks post surgery and riding my bike 6 weeks post surgery. Recovery was relatively quick, the sternum half's were stabilized and all I needed one day post surgery was just Tylenol. My surgeon told me that performing the surgery with full visibility would be his preference.
I was your age about 20 years ago.....with a mechanical heart valve that was 40 years old and I could do what I did in my 50s (I thought). Now I am nearly 90 with that same heart valve (thankfully). Once I hit +/- 80 things began to change, not in a good way.......it is called "old age". IMO I would look at a "bio" valve like the new Edwards Inspirus which they say could last 20 years........then you could get a TAVR.

BTW, Edwards Lifesciences also built my mechanical valve as they were the first to bring an artificial heart valve to the market. They told me, in 1967, that my valve was designed to last 50 years.......it is almost 57 years old now......and still going strong.
The valve shown to me for the mini was the Edwards Resillia; (bio valve) I've heard good things. I appreciate your input, keep on, keeping on sir!

I was 71 when I had a Mini at CC to replace my bicuspid AV and repair an ascending AA. I assume that you don't have an AA as you did not mention it and I believe that they need a little bit more room to repair that. Valve used for me was Inspiris Resilia. Three years in and so far, so good. Resumed normal (for me) activities. Annual echo will be later this year.

HTH

Back