swimming w/heart problems?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

alicia

A 9 year old boy in our city drowned at the local city pool and his atopsy just came in and said he had heart problems that were undiagnosed and he apparently went underwater and had an irregular heartbeat and arrested at that time. Is this possible? I am an avid swimmer and swim underwater alot and am concerned. My cardiologist never told me to not swim. Any thoughts on this? Alicia :rolleyes: :confused:

Hello,

Before my surgery, I believe I asked my surgeon that same question. Swimming I was told was ok, however not to hold my breath and go under. Has got to do with pressure. Hope this helps. martha

Hi,
I never would have thought swimming would have been a problem hmmm.... you learn something every day.

C-YA
Sonya

I swim

I swim

When my Ry, a senior in high school was diagnosed with a dilated aorta and Marfan's he was playing football in the fall, wrestling in the winter and swimming in the spring... they wouldn't sign the medical release for him to play any of his sports. And believe me.. he tried to talk them into it.

My cardio has never said anything to me about ME not swimming though. ?? And he knows I've even water skied since my surgery. (he has made it clear he doesn't like that part!) I have VERY irregular heart beats and now a mechanical valve. I donno.

Dang you can't just hang up your hat and stop living?!

Rain

I totally agree with you if we give up on everything that we enjoy doing then what would we do?

C-YA
Sonya

Latest posts

Back