Surgery tomorrow- time to lock in :)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncw3642

Hi all,

I have my planned 5cm aortic root aneurysm repair + bicuspid valve repair (possible mechanical valve replacement if it cannot be repaired once they opens me up) tomorrow mid-morning.

2 months of waiting and lots of great advice from this forum have led to this. Feeling a sense of peace and relief that my aneurysm will be repaired and cannot rupture suddenly and that after a recovery period I will be able to return to my job as a PT, as well as my hobbies of cardio and weightlifting and live a healthy, full life.

See you all on the other side, I’ll be sure to update when I can! Ready to do it! Locked in and trusting my medical team fully. Looking forward to getting up and walking the halls ASAP :).

We'll see you on the other side! :)

Wishing you all the best, for an uneventful surgery and recovery.

Please give us an update as soon as you feel well enough to do so.

You got this!!!!

Hi all,

I have my planned 5cm aortic root aneurysm repair + bicuspid valve repair (possible mechanical valve replacement if it cannot be repaired once they opens me up) tomorrow mid-morning.

2 months of waiting and lots of great advice from this forum have led to this. Feeling a sense of peace and relief that my aneurysm will be repaired and cannot rupture suddenly and that after a recovery period I will be able to return to my job as a PT, as well as my hobbies of cardio and weightlifting and live a healthy, full life.

See you all on the other side, I’ll be sure to update when I can! Ready to do it! Locked in and trusting my medical team fully. Looking forward to getting up and walking the halls ASAP :).
You must've been on the other side by now, and started initial phases of recovery in ICU. All the very best. Keep us posted.

Hi all,

Finally getting around to post an update.

Surgery went well. My surgeon was unable to repair the valve due to:
“The valve was type 0 bicuspid and removed in its entirety. The sinus portion of the left and right sinus was both a true paper thin sinus of valsalva aneurysm and not amenable to David valve-sparing technique.”

The way my surgeon explained it, it looked way more high risk of a rupture and the root was not good anatomically for a long term repair to function.

He went ahead and put the graft + On-X mechanical valve in.

The chest tubes (hopefully coming out today) is by far the worst part. Hard to take a full inhale and is causing some referred pain to my shoulder that is terrible at times.

All things considered I can’t complain! My surgeon did great, the repair/replacement went well and I am on my way to recovery and getting my mechanical to be within a good INR/last a long time!

Great to hear back from you. Good to see that you're on the other side and doing well through initial phases of recovery.

There's lots to learn from everyone's situation, and certainly from you too. The confidence, positivity and resolve you had approaching or pursuing the surgery was great to witness. Didn't you just find out a couple of weeks ago, and you're already done with fixing yourself :)

Keep us posted as you make full recovery. With your own professional experience in physical therapy, it should be a smooth sailing.

Congratulations. Now back to rest of the recovery, and then gradually to the life you want to live again.

Back